Nice work! (episode 2 spoilers)

K

Khan

Played both Episode 1 and 2 (tad short) and I have to say that you have done an incredible job at capturing the Wing Commander essence in this mod.

It feels like Wing Commander 2 all over again (which imo remains the best of the Wing Commander series).

I never liked the Prophecy Engine though but I understand why you picked that one for your upcoming large battles (can't wait to defend Earth).

Voice acting annoyed me a bit at first but eventually I liked it (matter of gaining perspective). Trigger's voice was amazing, sounds like a real killer pilot, he's my fav wingman anytime.

I liked the story and it was nice to fly against the Kilrathi in the Gemini sector. Nice pun in putting in some Retro's as well.

The cute scenes were well done and not too much, like WC2. I was also impressed with the talking characters, looked pretty real.

One thing I didn't like was why I was restricted to flying Stilleto's and Gladii (I rather fly a Ferret or a Scimitar ;) ). I can understand it though since it is the Gemini sector after all, and everything has to be mobilized even the bad ships.

I suspect you will deal with this in the next episode though so I have something to look forward to :).

Hey there, glad you like the game so far. :)

We're definitely going to add some variety in the ships department... IIRC, there are only one or two missions where you fly Stilettos or Gladii from now on, the rest of the game will be mostly Rapiers and Sabres, with the occasional Crossbow.

As for Trigger, I'm surprised he seems to be everyone's favorite. :p

Good thing you're on the other side of the world and not actually as much of a psycho as Trigger is (then again, I wouldn't bet my money on that last one :p)

I can assure you, Eder, Trigger is only 28% as psychopathic as Tempest is :p.

Khan said:
One thing I didn't like was why I was restricted to flying Stilleto's and Gladii (I rather fly a Ferret or a Scimitar ;) ). I can understand it though since it is the Gemini sector after all, and everything has to be mobilized even the bad ships.
Hehe, well, the Stiletto is better than the Ferret in every aspect... and the Scimitar, of course, doesn't carry torpedoes (not to mention that it was already used very extensively in UE and has the same guns as the Stiletto, so it would make things rather repetitive).

I really felt the whole "We don't really have a lot of ships and we know you can look after this Stilleto better than anyone else" vibe, at least until you are upgraded to flying a Gladius for the rest of the episode.

I am learning to appreciate the Stilleto's ITTS and as long as I can dodge enemy fire I think I am still good. :>

Everyone should get as much Rapier time in the sim as possible, that should make life easier in the upcoming episodes.

It does feel like WC2 again with having to guess where to fire to make the enemy fly into your shots. The Rapier is so strong, yet its cockpit is so obstructive :<

I love it!

Nomad Terror said:
It does feel like WC2 again with having to guess where to fire to make the enemy fly into your shots. The Rapier is so strong, yet its cockpit is so obstructive :<

I love it!

Good thing you can turn it off. I'm currently practicing the Rapier and how to aim without ITTS. I can do it pretty well because the Rapier is fast enough to get in a good firing position. It's still somewhat difficult with the Gladius, though.

I've tried tried pretty much every ship in the Sim, and my impressions so far:

Stiletto: A joy ride as ever, but backfire guns still remain a problem.
Gladius: This thing is screwed without support ,lacks afterburner speed and feels kinda inert. With fighter loadout it has a LOT of missiles and good firepower.
Rapier: Same guns as Gladius, but closer to the center and it's a lot faster. It's good to know those shields can take an extra hit and it maintains good speed and excellent turning rate.
Sabre: Wow, four torps? Can't wait to see the fighter loadout. A bit slow, but excellent gunpower and it's the first ship with IR missiles, too. It's shielding seems a little weak for a heavy, so you must be pretty offensive with it. Yet, I can't wait to fly one, seeing how it kills so fast.
Crossbow: Totally different. Tremendous firepower, great payload, ultra thick shields and armor, and still good turning. And NO afterburner. All you get is your 390 units of max speed to get to and away from your target. Those shields seemed inpenetrable in WC2, but if multiple ships/turrets gun for you in Standoff, they WILL go down, and then you're screwed. I still need to get a feeling for it, but I'm sure I'll like the difference and the advantages.
Ferret: Meh. No ITTS and less missiles than a Stiletto, and I can't seem to hit things with the Ferret.
Hornet: Equivalent of a Sartha, breaks up as easy as one too.
Epee: Same weakness as ever: a few direct hits, you're good. Fortuneatly, with it's good armament, that applies for the enemy too. And this ship is damn good at evading hits.
Morningstar: Fantastic. Three particle cannons kill a lot, and so does that sweet Mace missile. A bit short on conventional missiles, but it's guns make up for it. Thick armor, very agile, and very strong shields. What more could you want? A backfire turret? Sorry, no room.
Wraith: It's the Überfighter. super fast, super armament, super protection. This thing kills pretty much everything, period. We probably won't be seeing one in the episodes, but it would make a nice final boss for the Confed gauntlet.
Broadsword: Less speed than a Crossbow, but better turret coverage. It's good at keeping attackers at bay. but actual bombing would be very hard to get away with.
Raptor: Big no more. Lack of backfiring capability, inert handling, and poor conveargence make it inferior to next-gen heavy fighters.
Talon: Handles similar to a Gladius for me.
Tarsus: Pretty much like Privateer, an inferior piece of junk.

yeah, great job! Even ep2 was short, the whole thing was very enjoyable, except when i had to rescue the rapiers. The stupidity of my wingman made me ver yangry, when i died the 4th time in that mission casue they were only flying around to get shot down.... The ships are okay, except that the particle cannon is a tad brutal. I could get to wave 13 in the sim with a talon, cause of that gun, and the mass driver seems pretty useless. In Wc2 the massdriver was quiet a nice gun, it carried a bigger punch. No really need to patch these things, you can get used to it that a talons got better weapons then half of the confed/kilrathi fleet :D
Another disturbing thing are the drakhris. Sometimes, it fires its lasers (#3?) not as normally other ships do, but in one big pack of laserstorm. Like firing all its energy under a half second. Then nothing can esape it (even a crossbow gets badly beaten from that). Bug? or intentional?
Try to work on the broadsword a bit please, it feels useless, allthough it was a great ship in wc2! Without afterburners or more effective massdrivers, its just a piece of junk! And there should be 3 turrets! not the just the one on the rear! (wich is pretty much the only usefull weapon aboard) Oh, and there is an error when you change to full guns and then back to guns with it. One of the mass drivers (left side I think) starts to fire from a different place! It happens in the crosbow too!

The voiceacting and acting overall got really better, your starting to get the hang of it! Congrats!

Oh, and one last thing. When will we get the next episode? :D

(I hope you gonna fill it with more missions then ep2, ya know, we wanna shoot furballs, it won't hurt anyone if those missions are not totally unique, some simple "fly and shoot" kind of missions could fill the gap, without any cinematics and comms and such :D umm, and that lovestory feels pretty baaaaaad. Its starting to shape up in ep2, but in ep1 it mades no sense. No introduction, no info on why the hell is our hero so deeply depressed! I don't think that the med would let someone as broke as him fly, especially not an armed ship :D )

That bug with the Broadsword's mass drivers happens with the Morningstar too.

I've also noticed that the Broadsword's mass drivers fire too low... that is, I'll aim right at the target and my shots will go under it.

Though I've considered the extra sim ships to be more of a "not yet ready to fly for real" thing

lorddarthvik said:
umm, and that lovestory feels pretty baaaaaad. Its starting to shape up in ep2, but in ep1 it mades no sense. No introduction, no info on why the hell is our hero so deeply depressed! I don't think that the med would let someone as broke as him fly, especially not an armed ship :D

I thought that the love story was pretty good. And the music is swank. Cheers to Michael and Daniel. :cool:

The game itself is making me break a sweat many a time. It's been a blast. (Of Pirates, Kilrathi, and myself.)

One question though, how does one choose the encounter with Sparrow? I've found the B version where they meet in the engineering bay but I haven't figured out how to get the A version.

Well the encounter occurs in the repair bay either way.

Remember the last mission of episode 1? You can either do what the computer tells you to do there or just autopilot back to the Lionheart.

One version makes Sparrow like you better, and the other makes Spoons like you better.

Nomad Terror said:
Well the encounter occurs in the repair bay either way.

Remember the last mission of episode 1? You can either do what the computer tells you to do there or just autopilot back to the Lionheart.

One version makes Sparrow like you better, and the other makes Spoons like you better.

I've gotten both versions of the Sabre Chase ending, A is the one you tractor beam the pod in and cover for Sparrow or B is the one where you fly away and you have Spoons favor.

But checking the Flight History Terminal for me it says for the encounter in the repair bay that it is B. I'm wondering if there's a second way that the encounter in the repair bay happens that is A.

Back