New Wing Commander Suggestion for Origin

Actually he turns in to the Dark side to be able to defeact the emperor, I read that in some book...

sorry, that is in Star Wars....

I think much of what's being thrown about here is speculation, but of course, we're allowed to have opinions, aren't we? :)

For the sake of the fans, though, I don't think Blair would or should become bad. While Tolwyn turned 'bad,' I think people accepted this because of his 'ideals,' and also because he was portrayed as a not-too-good character in the earlier games.

For Blair to turn 'bad' would be a much bigger shock since he's been the hero for nearly the whole series. And I don't think going for shock is a good idea, some here believe there's been too many traitors already.

BTW, I read the SW novels, and I was not at all pleased by the idea of Skywalker serving the Emperor. At least some 'good' was thrown in behind his motives as described in I, Jedi. And, of course, Skywalker does return to the Light, whereas for Blair to become an agent of the Nephilim, and to somehow return, I'm sure that would mess up his mind even more, leaving him in a terrible mental state. Possibly even wanting to commit suicide. Of course, this is all pure speculation. For now, I think, Blair has been removed from the WCU, dead or alive.

Originally posted by Wedge009
For Blair to turn 'bad' would be a much bigger shock since he's been the hero for nearly the whole series. And I don't think going for shock is a good idea, some here believe there's been too many traitors already.
But didn't the Hawk path in WCIV lead to a "bad" Blair? I agree though, there have been too many traitors between III & IV. How about a prequel to WCI. It would allow the writer(s) to bring back my favorite antagonists - the Kilrathi - and get around having to write a story to fit into the convoluted WC timeline.

No, when I mean Blair turn 'bad,' I mean totally mad, going against everything he ever believed in. As in the "aliens have taken over [Blair's] mind! Kill him!"

Besides, I think most of us accept that the Hawk ending in WC4 is not the 'official' ending.

Blair be taken in by the hive mind and turn bad?
Kinda reminscent of how Kerrigan turns 'bad' in StarCraft? Man that sucked. I was just starting to like her. Wing Commander should stick to their own plots :).

Still, what I want to know is why Blair, a veteran space combat pilot with a coupla-thousand kills to his name, takes so bloody long to look up?

Speaking of ideas related to the now defunct WC series - does anyone remember hearing talk about a spinoff game for Maniac? I'm sure I read about it in an issue of Computer Gaming World or PC Gamer. You'll remember that the actor had won an award(s) for his character in WCIII(?). My feeling was that he was completely under-utilized in WCP. A revival of his character would be fun!

Originally posted by ChrisReid
The Tri-System is isolated.. that does not necessarily mean there are no links with Confed.. And in fact many people in the Tri-System are authorized to Trade in the Confederationand such.

We know that the Anhurian Humanist religion believes that they're fully native to Anhur.. It's more likely that they're really from Earth though..

Many of the ships in the booth database show that they are licensed to travel within non restricted Confederation space, some can even go into restricted Confed space. Just wish there were jumps to and from the Tri-System, would have made P2 more enjoyable.

RFBurns

"Good to see a friendly ship" [merchants, Privateer/RF]

That Tri-system stuff does not have anything related to ConFed, now if Origin say that system is made from the original pligrim from long ago, I could belive that, but there is a great diference of things in P2 and the regular WC universe that made belive that origin just say "hey, P2 universe is on the WC universe" and did nothing in the game to make us belive that(sorry , just ONE referece to the original privater does not make things right), that P2 is just to fool us.the name of the game is "the darkening" not "Privatter 2, the drakening" that came from the marketing departemant, not from who made the game.

No dragon, Privateer 2: The Darkening is a part of the WC universe just as much as anything else that was ever in the universe is.

Well I'll agree that it's not called "Privatter 2, the drakening" ;) . Just as an interesting thought though "Wing Commander" isn't in the title only Privateer and while it might not seem like a wing commander does it not seem like a privateer game? Although it wasn't supposed to be Privateer 2 at some stages in development, it was always a Privateer spinoff[or so is my understanding, I could be wrong]. Privateer was certianly not a traditional wing commander, I found that with the exception of that perry,midguard ect.. area of space , it was rare to encounter confed or kilrathi. So if it's rare to see them a few jumps from the hot-spots is it really so unthinkable that they'd be completely absent from a more isolated area of space.

If I remeber correctely, there were TWO privaters game in the works, the REAL P2 was cancelead and the "the darkening" was gone ahead because they were shooting the FMV, the "Crapnering" was never to be related to the WC universe, but since the "real" P2 was scrub, someone have the GREAT(not) idea of changing the name to "privatter 2, the darkening" but they kinda of forget to change to put some things in the game, like a explanation on how the game is related to the general wing commander universe.

Actually Dragon, THey did add in WC elements, but if you remember this is taking place 100 years after WCP/SO as such one can not expect alot of the original WC stuff in it. For all we know confed doesn't even exist anymore.

Originally posted by RFBurns:
Many of the ships in the booth database show that they are licensed to travel within non restricted Confederation space, some can even go into restricted Confed space.

Yes, but that’s not Earth’s Confed. If you review the several references to “Confederation” (and “confederation”) in the summaries for planets in the booth database, you’ll see that the context leaves no doubt that “Confederation” is just another name for the Tri-System. To take two good examples–for the planet Athos (“Here [the Athonians] not only grow enough produce for themselves, but also export their more luxurious goods to the rest of the confederation.”), and for the planet Corinthias (“[T]his planet is one of the Confederations [sic] most valued assets.”).

(Even how the database describes the right to travel is suggestive. The database characterizes the licenses of non-military ships in only two general ways, either as confined to one or two particular systems of the Tri-System, or as free to travel “anywhere in the confederation” (albeit distinguishing between restrictive and non-restrictive space). But if that “confederation” is Earth’s Confed, why aren’t there any licenses that permit travel throughout the Tri-System only, or throughout both the Tri-System and the Confederation?)

Originally posted by Dragon:
. . . [Origin] kinda of forget . . . to put some things in the [P2] game, like a explanation on how the game is related to the general wing commander universe.

I’m not clear whether by “in the game” you mean information revealed by the game itself or by any other material found within the game box, like the game manual. If the game itself, then the absence in P2 of any reference to Earth’s Confed would be natural enough if the Tri-System at the time knows little if anything about Confed. If the game manual or another source, perhaps you’ve noticed that what background information Origin typically provides for any of the games is (quite understandably) only about the races or cultures that are front and center in that game. Like it or not, P2 is about the Tri-System and its problems, not Confed and its problems.

Originally posted by Dragon:
That Tri-system stuff does not have anything related to ConFed . . . just ONE referece to the original privater does not make things right . . . .

Why not? Would you argue for example that there are no dreadnoughts at the time of WC1 because even though Claw Marks refers at one point to “dreadnaughts”, no other info about them is given and none are actually shown in that game?

Back