New ships

Originally posted by fallen phoenix
...they fly Razors, Demons, Dralthi and Avengers
Aside from the Dralthi, that sounds quite reasonable. Don't know how pirates would get their hands on Kilrathi fighters, but if...
Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
There are Sabres in WCA flown by pirates.
...then I suppose pirates can get anything (Steltek? ;)). I don't suppose there are 'professional' ship thieves like in Star Wars?

Originally posted by Wedge009
Aside from the Dralthi, that sounds quite reasonable. Don't know how pirates would get their hands on Kilrathi fighters, but if...

If that merchant from Righteous Fire can get a Dralthi, I'm pretty sure some pirates can, too.

Well, they could acquire them the same way the Retros and Mandarins did, probably - by buying one off the Kilrathi. The Kilrathi military seems at times willing to do so, if it causes trouble for Confed. There's also individual Kilrathi, smugglers, pirates, and such, who would be willing to do business with humans (see Action Stations).
The alternative would be to capture them, either by attacking a Kilrathi convoy (like in WCA Ep. 2, minus the bit about it being a trap :)), or (more difficult) obtain a leech-type weapon from Confed one way or another, and leech 'em.

...then I suppose pirates can get anything (Steltek? ;)). I don't suppose there are 'professional' ship thieves like in Star Wars?
Probably, though it's an aspect that's never been explored. Notice for example that the Retros were able to 'tamper' with Burrows' ship despite base security - so theft must surely also be possible.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
If that merchant from Righteous Fire can get a Dralthi, I'm pretty sure some pirates can, too.
How do you get that? I still haven't managed to find it. :(

Originally posted by Quarto
Well, they could acquire them the same way the Retros and Mandarins did, probably - by buying one off the Kilrathi.
I wonder how those traitors traded with the Kilrathi - they certainly don't pay for the ships with Confed credits. :)

How about they got the Dralthi off the black lance when it was around and hiring pirates to do their dirty work. When the BL forces where dispersed they stole them and a BL transport. It wouldn't have been to hard since they probably scrambled a lot of ships from their bases, they managed to get away with it in all the confusion.

I wonder how those traitors traded with the Kilrathi - they certainly don't pay for the ships with Confed credits. :)

HAHA! They all got sucked out of airlocks!

:p

Uh, since when did the Black Lance have possession of Dralthi fighters?
I'm too lazy to get up and walk the two metres it takes to get the WC4 novel, but I recall that the BL did have some Dralthi parts lying around on the Lexington. I can't remember if they had any intact Dralthi there, too. However, I do not think it would have been a problem for them to get Dralthi, or indeed any other Kilrathi fighter or capital ship (if I recall correctly, it is hinted that Confed got their hands on a Hakaga). After all, Confed would have been supervising the disarmament of the Kilrathi fleet.

As for trade, it's an interesting question indeed. I'd say that most likely what occurs in such trade is barter, exchanging goods directly for other goods.

...if I recall correctly, it is hinted that Confed got their hands on a Hakaga...
That would be nice, would the technology from that ship be incorporated into future capital ships, or did the Kilrathi just have far too much resources than Confed?

After all, Confed would have been supervising the disarmament of the Kilrathi fleet.
Forgot about that, I was still thinking in a wartime context.

I'd say that most likely what occurs in such trade is barter...
That's what I guessed as well.

That doesn't neccassarily mean they got their hands on an intact Hakaga, though. There must have been chunks of the destroyed Hakagas strewn across the sol system after the BOT. Combine that with scans of the ships and so, and they must have learnt quite a bit just from those sources.

Best, Raptor

Indeed, Raptor, though we'll never know... come to think of it, we never hear anything of the remaining super-carriers after the Battle of Terra. Wonder what exactly happened to them.

Originally posted by fallen phoenix
And cleaning the seats after the rookies come home :D

And YES I will use razors, they look to cool to leave outta the action! The destroyer prototype will be called the TCS DESTINY And it focuses on quickly launching waves of torpedoes, making it a definate front-line capship. Any thoughts about this design?

You do realize you can only fit so many torpedoes onboard a ship, right?

-Concordia

She's got a point. With non-renewable "hard" weapons like torpedoes or capship missiles, your potency is limited by your carrying capacity. This wouldn't be true of energy weapons like dual-mounted laser turrets or plasma cannons like those carried on the Cerberus or the Plunkett-class artillery cruisers. If I remember the beginning of this thread right, this is supposed to be a destroyer, which isn't THAT big, as far as capships go. And anyway, what's so prototypical about carrying around a crapload of torpedoes? That's not exactly a new technology circa 2684.

To me, it'd be a neat idea for a prototype warship to be outfitted with an attempt to scale-down and make economical the Nephilim fleetkiller plasma weapon. I mean, if the science crew onboard the Midway could improvise one enough to pop off one shot and wipe out the task force guarding the Kilrah jump point, why couldn't Confed start equipping other ships with a more stable version 3 years later? Just a thought.

Because the 'good guys' aren't allowed to have superweapons. Look what became of the Confederation-class dreadnoughts' PTCs.

Yeah, well, I don't know where that rule came from, but it's gay. That, and no matter how "good" a democracy is, if really cool technology's available, an attempt will be made to make use of it. Just look at the U.S. Missile defense technology's really not all that up to par, and we're STILL dumping tons of money into trying to develop and deploy it.

Don't you think there's enough political discussion in the off-topic zone already, Corsair? :p

Aclove, Wedge's point wasn't really related to the real world, just to fictional storylines. Compare the number of fully-functional Kilrathi superweapons with the number of fully-functional Confed superweapons that we see during the '54-'69 time period.

Back