New ships

What do you think would make a good cap-ship/fighter in 2684?
Could be Merc,Confed,UBW or kilrathi. Submit your opinion or description of your new ship. Just to see what people would expect from a new ship.

I'd say the ships in Prophecy and Secret Ops... those were pretty much top of the line....

Things can always get better. I thought the Dragon was the best fighter and nothing was better until they came out with Prophecy.

The Dragon/Lance was Confed Black Ops, it wasn't a mainstream fighter. There was also 7-8 years between the events of WC4 and WCP.

I'm quite sure all Dragons/Lances used by the Black Lance were destroyed during/after the 2673 conflict. I'm not sure if even the UBW were allowed to keep their Dragons/Lances.

I doubt Confed would be very eager to let another nation keep proto-types of their state of the art black ops fighters. While I don't see Confed strong arming them about it (seeing as the BW is a sovereign nation, and especially after the injustice Confed did the BW in WC4), there are all kinds of economic and military assistance incentives that could be offered to the BW that would be a lot more valuable to a new nation than those fighters would be.

Best, Raptor

Given that the UBW apparently didn't even keep the *Intrepid*, they probably didn't keep the Lances.

Originally posted by fallen phoenix
Does anyone know if the dragon fighter is still used by anyone, besides UBW?

HA! The UBW keep their Dragons? The Lance/Dragon was considered the most expensive ship ever. Plus, it was pretty complex. The maintenance must've been extensive and the cost to maintain must've been even more expensive.

Not every crew chief is Pliers... and the UBW is POOR!

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Given that the UBW apparently didn't even keep the *Intrepid*
The WC4 novel seems to imply they did keep it, and the game has nothing that would directly show that they didn't. And of course, there's no reason why they would return the Intrepid, since they didn't steal it.

Originally posted by Col.Dom

HA! The UBW keep their Dragons? The Lance/Dragon was considered the most expensive ship ever. Plus, it was pretty complex. The maintenance must've been extensive and the cost to maintain must've been even more expensive.

Not every crew chief is Pliers... and the UBW is POOR!

Actually, those ideas don't follow from each other. Just because a fighter is more expensive and difficult to build than others doesn't make it more expensive or difficult to maintain than previous fighters. One of the selling points of the new F-22 Raptor is that it takes a much smaller maintenance and equipment train than the F-15 Eagle currently does.

Also, what do we mean when we say that the Border Worlds are poor? They are poor *relative* to Confed, yes, but saying that doesn't give us a very good indication of their level of *absolute* poverty when you consider that Confed is a massive nation-state with the resources and GDP of close to 300 worlds. How does that compare with wealth in terms of economies as we measure them today? How does the UBW with its 70-80 odd worlds compare? We just don't know. Not only that, keep in mind that there are some very poor countriers in the world with some pretty good military hardware. When Ethiopia and Eriatria (sp?) went to war a couple of years ago, they did it with Su-27 Flankers and Mig-29 Fulcrums.

As I said before, I do think that the Border Worlders would give the Dragons back to Confed, but I think it would more likely be for political reasons than for economic ones.

Best, Raptor

As I said before, I do think that the Border Worlders would give the Dragons back to Confed, but I think it would more likely be for political reasons than for economic ones.

UBW just *hands* back all of the Dragons it captured? They sold them back to confed more likely. Or they at least studied the designs to intergrate into thier own fighters. (remember the U.S. spyplane shot down by china last year? the russians took it back to the U.S, but on the way they ripped it appart 'studying' American technology.)

You don't sell someone something they already own. *G* The Black Lance built the Dragons with Confed funds, most likely diverted from the black ops budget or some other type of untracable slush fund. While I think it's a bit much to say that the Border Worlders "stole" them (any more than they "murdered" the people they shot down, as the normal rules tend to go out of the window in a war, declard or otherwise), the fact remains that they were Confed property to begin with. Demanding a ransom for their return wouldn't have done much for Confed/BW relations, which weren't all that good to begin with.

Having said, I never said that the BW would *just* hand them over. Like you say, it seems normal practice to have a good look at high tech before you hand it over. Not only that, international negotiations usually work on a quid pro quo basis. If the Border Worlders played nice and let Confed have its Dragons back without making a fuss, then Confed would most likely reciprocate in by giving way on something that the Border Worlders wanted. Both nations get what they want, the wounds of the recent Confed/BW conflict don't get re-opened, and everyone's happy.

PS: Seeing as this *is* the fanfic board, I might as well tie this into HTL. :D The Border Worlders' Retaliator fighters, which you can see in action in the current chapter "On Deadly Ground" are very heavily based on the Dragons.

Best, Raptor

I see your point there raptor. And also.. they would'nt cost that much to maintain because (i think pliers said) that they didn't use fuel.
Anyway this thread started as my insane idea to see if people have any new ship designs because i started writing a fanfic about a prototype destroyer on a test run and is attacked by pirates/bugs/kats/anyone else who wants to.
So what pirate fighters are around in 2685 anyway?

I don't know but you have to use Razors! Those were the coolest ships built... but you could never ever fly 'em :(

Pfft, paper-thin pirate ships. :)

...they wouldn't cost that much to maintain because... they didn't use fuel.
There's more to maintenance than just fuel, y'know. ;) Although I suspect fuel and ordnance would be the most expensive parts in maintaining fighters.

So what pirate fighters are around in 2685 anyway?
Pirates don't necessarily have to have their own ship designs - they could use surplus/stolen military ships, or heavily (and most likely, illegally) modified civilian craft.

Hmm, do Dragons really not need any fuel or are they just like nuclear powered ships today which do need to have their reactor and fuel rods (or what you call them) exchanged once in a while?

I'm not sure. They just seem to 'scoop up' fuel from space like capships. It seems Matter/Anti-Matter engines don't work the same way as nuclear reactors of today.

The dragons worked on anti matter reactor which is completly different from nuclear reactors. Anti-matter when brought in contact with any matter completely destroys the matter releasing untold amounts of energy. That is why the Dragon has the "scoopers" to pick up matter from space to annihilate it in the reactor to produce its energy. That is why the dragon does not need fuel.

Back