New Privateer 2 Patch Adds Deinterlace Feature & Makes Numerous Improvements (October 1, 2013)

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Hello fellow P2 fans! I can't seem to get the game to start using the DARKFIX.EXE. I think the issue might be that I have the game installed on E: rather than C: and thus need to edit the .EXE as was mentioned earlier in this thread. However, I have no idea how to edit it. Trying to open it it notepad results in something that is hardly readable. Is there some addotional software I need in order to edit it? When I open the config there is nothing shown in the "Display" box, and the "Windowed" and "Keep Aspect Ratio" options are greyed out.
I'm on windows 10 btw. Any and all help is much appreciated.
You should be able to edit dark.fix in notepad or any other text editor. This is a separate file than darkfix.exe

CyBear

Spaceman
*Blush* I guess I need to brush up on my basic reading skills. You, kind person, are an absolute hero! Thank you so much taking the time to reply. Finally I can enjoy this classic with the graphics it deserves.

Now all I have to deal with are the random crashes after making jumps, but at least those are quite rare so I still get to play the game.

Last edited:

rfxcasey

Spaceman
Late to the party, Google Chrome is blocking this file as being potentially harmful, how can I confirm that's a false positive?

rfxcasey

Spaceman
Yes it was a zip but it was p2_patch_test1_ogl......zip as listed in the chrome download bar at the bottom of the browser. I successfully downloaded the file you linked to with no complaints from Chrome so thanks. Obviously somehow I found an older or corrupt version. Thanks for the reply. Any advice you can give on the install and setup?

AD

Yes it was a zip but it was p2_patch_test1_ogl......zip as listed in the chrome download bar at the bottom of the browser. I successfully downloaded the file you linked to with no complaints from Chrome so thanks. Obviously somehow I found an older or corrupt version. Thanks for the reply. Any advice you can give on the install and setup?
Glad the download worked this time. IIRC you just unzip the file into your P2 install directory. Then, when you want to play, run darkfix.exe instead of the original dark.exe to launch the game.

If you installed the game anywhere other than the default directory on your C: drive you will want to edit dark.fix (basically a config file for the patch) to point to your installation drive and directory of choice.

El Dorado

Spaceman
Hello everyone,

I scoured the thread in hopes for a solution.
I use GOG, installed the game, the game works fine, mouse works, sounds/midi, graphics and inverted spaceship flight mouse control but effectively the de-interlacing is really hard on my eyes.

So I looked in GOG support for the game and I found the unofficial patch "p2_patch_test1_ogl_sidebyside.zip".

Darkfix.exe fixed the de-interlacing. It is great to look at those animations and actors. unfortunately, I am no computer wizard, my mouse does get stuck right away, down at the bottom and somewhere to the right. I found a post mentioning Norton, I turned off all norton functions for 30 minutes, re-launched darkfix.exe but the mouse issue persists, the mouse get stuck way at the bottom and somewhere to the right, so that solution was not for me

Is there a way to apply darkfix.exe from or to GOG launcher and using DOS emulator that comes with the game on GOG?

Incredible to find such oldies still with great appeal, thanks in advance.

wahnsinn

Spaceman
1. Any info/help on this particular error message when running darkfix.exe?
application could not be initialized 0xc0150002
Getting this on a fresh installation of WinXP on an old laptop, which I set up just to get the game to run. I may be missing dlls or whatever? I did download msvcr100 and msvcr110 into the DARK directory, and I think the crash code has changed as a result of that, but it's still crashing regardless. Also, since it's 2019, I cannot use Windows Update on this XP machine, and I suspect there may be some OS components missing, which the patch requires.. ideas?

^resolved that by installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package.
Darkfix now crashes with yet another new error message:
entry point "GetTickCount64" could not be located kernel32.dll

and apparently, googling suggests that this is simply not supported under XP....
So in other words the patch doesn't even work on XP at all? Nice to realize.....

PS:
2. This brings me to the reason I'm using the above ancient laptop to begin with: FIRST I played it (fine) on my main machine (Win 7), where Darkfix seemed to run nicely and -I thought- at the right speed.. for a while! After a few hours of gameplay however, it has become sadly unplayable: I am getting blasted out of the sky within about a second of anyone starting to fire on me (despite upgraded ship). Even single ships with nothing special in terms of weapons obliterate my shield and armor almost instantly. This leads me to believe darkfix is either generally running too fast on this machine, or is at least applying laser damage too quickly. It probably has been like that from the start, but I didn't notice because the enemies previously had Imperial Stormtrooper aim. Now, as the game progresses, difficulty (and enemy accuracy) seems to have increased and I'm instantly toast almost every time.

In short, the patch is not running the right speed on my system, never has.
(This is on an i5-4460 with Win7x64, I tried various compatibility options to no avail)

Last edited:

AD

2. This brings me to the reason I'm using the above ancient laptop to begin with: FIRST I played it (fine) on my main machine (Win 7), where Darkfix seemed to run nicely and -I thought- at the right speed.. for a while! After a few hours of gameplay however, it has become sadly unplayable: I am getting blasted out of the sky within about a second of anyone starting to fire on me (despite upgraded ship). Even single ships with nothing special in terms of weapons obliterate my shield and armor almost instantly. This leads me to believe darkfix is either generally running too fast on this machine, or is at least applying laser damage too quickly. It probably has been like that from the start, but I didn't notice because the enemies previously had Imperial Stormtrooper aim. Now, as the game progresses, difficulty (and enemy accuracy) seems to have increased and I'm instantly toast almost every time.

In short, the patch is not running the right speed on my system, never has.
(This is on an i5-4460 with Win7x64, I tried various compatibility options to no avail)
Interesting. It does sound a bit like one of the original game bugs though. The game originally shipped with an error where the game tries to ramp up the difficulty as you progress and get better... So you end up with endless streams of pirates and so on. If it works differently without the patch, that would be good to know, but I'm thinking it's more likely an old bug rather than anything to do with the darkfix patch which IIRC starts with the original Windows patch from Origin as a base.