New Paint Schemes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, I prefer the very first, simple grey-brown paint scheme to the others ... this is the Landreich, anyway, simpler seems better (and I doubt the FRLN experiments much with gradients - it seems too ostentatious). The last, dark paintjob is certainly very attractive, but looks more like some kind of street racer or something from Freespace than a WC ship.

Large amount of badassosity... I miss the blueprints I got with my WC1 box *sniffle*

seriously, this rawks.

guys, i'm not sure you're aware of this, but this is a no parking sign it's got on the wings:D
might be interesting on landreich carriers...:D

Bob McDob said:
Frankly, I prefer the very first, simple grey-brown paint scheme to the others ... this is the Landreich, anyway, simpler seems better (and I doubt the FRLN experiments much with gradients - it seems too ostentatious). The last, dark paintjob is certainly very attractive, but looks more like some kind of street racer or something from Freespace than a WC ship.

This probably all sounds about right.

Yeah, that's a standard European "no parking here, not even for a moment" sign.

Alrighty - time for some reply-o-rama!

Shader2585: Ah - Okay. I guess the rust marks are a bit too uniform - they blend with everything else. I'll see what can be done on the scorch marks, and same with the bit streaks. I really doubt it'll be a big deal. Also - would you mind giving the filename of the one you like?

Bob McDob: Ah - okay. Would you mind referencing the filename of the one you like? I can't be precisely sure by the message you posted, and I don't want to tag the wrong one. As for the dark stealth one - that's pretty much the only one we have any sort of direct reference for - so we're gonna be keeping it in there. Take heart, though - it'll only be on a couple of ships. Wildcat and the Corsair at this point.

Chevieblazer: Hmmm. That might be a bit of a problem. I thought the European no parking signs only had one crossbar - not two. Or I could be wrong.
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N
Hmm. Almost makes me want to go back to the white/blue scheme.
Nah, I think we'll leave it as-is, and provide a bit of a laugh for our European players.

ChrisReid: Okay - I'll be removing most of the gradient - I'll leave a bit of it in there - just for the whole "Old, faded paint" look.

Anyway - just wanted to let you guys know that we're taking down all the suggestions, and were fixing them all in one go. (As so we don't go into the time-consuming trap of recreating all the textures, over and over. Already done 'em twice, gonna have to do them thrice. I really don't wanna do 'em four times.)
We should be showing a couple new models here in a bit - I'm pretty deep into texturing right now... the last thing I got the chance to model was the Dorkir. That was fun.
Looking forward to the Raptor model/textures.
Loving the feedback, and keep 'em coming!

Howard Day said:
Chevieblazer: Hmmm. That might be a bit of a problem. I thought the European no parking signs only had one crossbar - not two. Or I could be wrong.
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N
Hmm. Almost makes me want to go back to the white/blue scheme.
Nah, I think we'll leave it as-is, and provide a bit of a laugh for our European players.

There are two of those signs.
One crossbar: No parking. Which means you may stop there for up to 10 minutes as this isn't considered parking yet.
Two crossbars: No stopping allowed either.

or you just swap the red and blue blue cross on red ground.

though, as i said, would be a funny thing to have this sign on the flight deck of a lr carrier:D

it specifically says red st. andrews cross on a blue background, the red circle i can't recall being mentioned though.

BradMick said:
it specifically says red st. andrews cross on a blue background, the red circle i can't recall being mentioned though.
Strictly speaking, it just says a blue circle and a red St. Andrew's cross, so you could even claim that it should be an unfilled blue circle :p. (but I'm not saying it should be - that might look weird, since the background would vary from ship to ship)

It's actually also worth noting the context in which the Landreich insignia is mentioned : "Most of the ships were painted stealth black without identification numbers or even the blue circle and red Saint Andrew’s cross of the Landreich."

So I guess the question is, should you even show the insignia at all? :p

Hmmmm... Excellent point. If you look at the original model's texture - you know, the ones where every Landriech ship is painted black? The logo there is quite close to what you guys are suggesting. I always thought it looked pretty sloppy - maybe that's good, maybe that's what we should shoot for. Anyhow - like I said, we're hoping to get this all worked out before we re-do the textures one last time. And maybe it would be reasonable not to show the symbol on some ships - the most likely candidate right now in my mind is the Scimitar - those'd be the most recently converted.

Is it possible to make two or three different textures for one landreich ship and make the comuter choose them randomly? Would add a whole lot of extra realism and fix the issue Quarto mentioned. And maybe a more charred extra texture for "frontline" vessels so that when you reach the front lines/battlezones you will encounter ships that look like they've been battling for days without having the luxury of getting a full repaint everytime they land.

Then again, it probably wouldnt be worth the time. I'm just writing down my thoughts guys. :)

Promising project BTW.

Howard Day said:
Bob McDob: Ah - okay. Would you mind referencing the filename of the one you like? I can't be precisely sure by the message you posted, and I don't want to tag the wrong one.

paint3.jpg

McDob: Heh. One of the easiest ones. Exxcceeellllent. Muwhahahaaaa! I like it too, but not for the reason I just stated. It feels quick and dirty.... If LOAF has no objections, this'll probably be the light stealth camo scheme.

Dryet: It's certainly possible - and not at all difficult. The only concern on my end is that the memory requirements would shoot through the roof. But even so - it'd definately add to the "ragtag fleet" feel of the whole thing. To be honest - I really like this idea. I'm just not sure if it would be practical. No worries, we'll figure something out.

Howard,

It would be nice to compare the ship textures with a background...

I'm very impressed with the visuals, the ships look they have been made by an experienced, talented professional.

I like the dark texture the best (the one you posted on 08-16-2005, 22:46) however the contrast between the guns and the ship make the guns stand out too much. That scheme would be my choice if the guns/missiles etc can be made to match it. (By matching I'm not saying that they should the same texture, just a correspondingly dark texture.)

Floater

Yup - the background stuff is, well, it's complicated. Hopefully I can explain more soon, but the background art is some of the stuff we're most excited about. Really,really cool stuff. Suffice it to say, we're taking a non-standard approach here. No pre-rendered skyboxes/spheres. And I should explain the reason for this: The biggest load-time hit when jumping inbetween systems is loading these massive-ass background images - and there's either one really big spheremap, or six large cubemaps. This will pause even the most swift-of-graphics-card system. We want the jumps to be...well, let's just say they're going to be exciting and volitile. We can't do that if there's a big-ass jolt in the loading process. So we're going a different route - one I'm frankly surprised no one's taken before.
As for the brightness of the guns/missiles - the guns will most certainly get the treatment, but there's really no reason to do it to the missiles. They're not going to be on the racks long enough to make any real difference visually. Muwhahaha! Fox One!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back