New Movie?

I'm gonna have to agree with Starkey on this one. Although if they did make a movie it would be better if it followed the game just a little bit more. :)

Given the lack of success of the WC Movie, it's almost a sure thing that another will never be made (which is fine by me). A new game would be a welcome sight, and almost certainly would be more profitable.

I have to agree that the WC movie wasent very good, but i cant remember if the war against the kilathi ended in it? did it?
If they should have maked a new movie they should have maked more like the games, with Mark Hamil as Cristhoper Blair.

I think I watched the film once, and I fell asleep after 45 minutes.

I really hope they make a new game before making anything else. Hopefully Prophecy for Gameboy Advance was successful.

No one will be making any WC movie for quite some time...

unless us fans got some crazy ideas like those Trekkers fan-made films.

Question:

Is the Wing Commander movie a thing of controversy amongst the fans here? Are there factions who love the movie, or do we all pretty much agree that the movie sucked?

Well, we all know this: it was a box office failure. Most fans will agree it was not anything like they expected. I, however, although it wasn't even remotely close to the original game and thus disappointing tremendously to me, still will dust it off every once in a while and watch it because I still love the WC universe and the movie still is kinda interesting (in a sad way I guess). Everytime I watch it I can only think...it could have been so much more. But still, I got to admit, I love it as best I can.

There are people who hate the movie, people who don't care and people who love the movie.

My opinion is that the movie itself wasn't great, but it did create a lot of valuable material - three novels, the handbook, a new story and so on.

Truant ball uh? I'll get it...

The main reason I believe another WC movie will never be made is simply because the first one didn't make enough money. And that's what is the basis of all movie sequels.

I truly don't think The Matrix would've made any sequels had it not been so successful. Another example is of Star Trek Nemesis (which I personally enjoyed). Everyone kept wondering if this would be the last Next Generation film. And in all the interviews I read, the makers of the film said they would make another movie if Nemesis did well enough at the box office. And so it didn't and there will most likely never be another Next Generation film.

Not that the Star Trek universe will ever die. But then again, neither will Wing Commander. I'm like most people on this forum though in that I would much rather see another Wing Commander game than movie at this time. Especially if it was anything like the first movie. Yes I also have many mixed feelings about the movie. It was sort of interesting in its own right. If it stood alone it might have been better. But it had nothing in it that the all the games had or anything else that I think made so many people fall in love with the WC universe.

Dervish said:
Question:

Is the Wing Commander movie a thing of controversy amongst the fans here? Are there factions who love the movie, or do we all pretty much agree that the movie sucked?

I think most WC fans believed that the idea behind the decision to make a movie was great, especially since Origin wasn't turning out any new WC games at the time. Maybe if the movie had been a box office hit it would have spawned another WC title- other franchises have followed that formula with success. However, if there is a "controversy" amongst the fans it revolves around the actual finished product.

IMO, the movie seems to have polarized WC fans in a way. I thought it didn't totally suck, and I'd venture to say that others here feel the same way. Yet some people really liked the movie, and still others hated it.

The film had some good qualities, but not enough to offset its weak points. For whatever reasons it veered away from the general theme of the games in several areas, and I think that lack of continuity disappointed many viewers. I don't feel we should expect to see a WC sequel on the big screen. Let us keep praying for another installment of the gaming series........

WCM isn't even remotely close to "worst movie ever", though I'll not go to the other extreme and say it's the best movie ever, either.

Anyone who says WCM is the worst movie ever made obviously has yet to watch Manos: The Hands of Fate. The original version, without the MST3K commentary.

Yes, I have done this. It took some effort (and vast quantities of alcohol) to convince my involuntary muscle control center to not shut down in shock.

This movie sounds good has using sand paper all over my body then rolling in salt. :p
For some reason there is a lot of game based movies on the Worst 100 movies , but WC is not one of them (but close. rating: 3.6). It could have been better, if instead of Freddie Prinze Jr, they took his wife: SMG :D

30 - House of the Dead (2003) 2.5 (1689 votes)
55 - Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (1997) 3.1 (4228 votes)
56 - Street Fighter (1994) 3.1 (5130 votes)
57 - Double Dragon (1994) 3.1 (976 votes)
94 - Super Mario Bros. (1993) 3.5 (4004 votes)

I think AI was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I sat through that whole movie and just got up at the end and left because i didn't care how it ended.

Back