New Movie?

Be careful when you say "they" will make something new. Last time I checked, Chris Roberts had the movie rights for the series, while EA held the gaming rights. They aren't dependent on one another, so don't expect a movie then a game, or vise-versa.

I don't see a new WC movie that far out of the picture. Although it made only a third of it's money back in American theaters, taking into account worldwide box office gross, books and toys, and DVD sales, it's possible that it made a profit. I'm just making an educated guess, though; I'm sure someone knows the actual (current) figures.

The core cast seemed to enjoy their roles, and it's possible that they'd want to do it again. And, hey, why would Fox want to turn down a(nother) movie staring Prinze and Lillard? They're one of the reasons a Scooby-Doo sequel is being done.

Perhaps we'll just have to wait until Punisher is done and see what Chris Roberts' next move will be.

They didn't made enough money on the movie (Source Imdb.com)

Budget
$30,000,000

Opening Weekend
$5,114,365 (USA) (14 March 1999) (2,019 Screens)

Gross
$11,576,087 (USA) (30 May 1999)
$11,565,864 (USA) (23 May 1999)
$11,552,291 (USA) (16 May 1999)
$11,538,716 (USA) (9 May 1999)
$11,522,423 (USA) (2 May 1999)
$11,481,285 (USA) (25 April 1999)
$11,431,590 (USA) (18 April 1999)
$11,385,523 (USA) (11 April 1999)
$11,236,859 (USA) (4 April 1999)
$10,633,613 (USA) (28 March 1999)
$8,840,764 (USA) (21 March 1999)
$5,114,365 (USA) (14 March 1999)

Weekend Gross
$5,114,365 (USA) (14 March 1999) (2,019 Screens)

ChanceKell said:
Although it made only a third of it's money back in American theaters, taking into account worldwide box office gross, books and toys, and DVD sales, it's possible that it made a profit. I'm just making an educated guess, though; I'm sure someone knows the actual (current) figures.

Yeah sorry. :(
I actually thought when looking at the numbers that they made over 100 millions (15 millions each week). Then, after posting I realise that they made 11.5 millions. :eek: That's why I edited my post later to change "They made enough money" to "They didn't made enough money".
Sorry again. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Try looking at the numbers closer. The IMDb info says that it made a gross of 11 mil in the US box office, which is roughly one-third of their stated budget. I said in my first post that they made about a third of their money back in the US box office, but if you take into account worldwide gross and DVD sales and other things, it'll be closer to 30 mil, if not more. K1nG quoted the IMDb source I saw, but he didn't take into account anything else, so I highlighted the added potential revenues that I listed in my original post in bold.

Any more questions?

Ahh..the movie wasnt so bad. Granted it could have been made to reflect the games a bit more.

Im wondering who the test audience was, cuz with all the unecessary added dialouge in the script, that in itself made the movie quite rediculous..as if no one in the world would catch on or understand things like a huge Kilrathi ship's mass causing it to be pulled in by a gravity well because it flew too close to it, or pointing out the obvious blips on the radar screen "thats the Kilrathi battle group".....well DUH! Unless that test audience were from the 1800's, just about everyone in the world today, and before and during this movie's production, KNOWS about such things from Star Trek, Star Wars, BattleStar Galactica, and many many other space related movies. I dont hear any loose fat script in any of the SW or ST movies..so why was that necessary for the WC movie?!

It was a fair movie IMO. AS to a game.....HA!

If I remember correctly, the movie did very well overseas - and that English film critics gave it positive reviews while backhanding American reviews.

I was very disappointed in the movie. The ships were not really that well done and the entire plot just seemed off to me. I wanted to see far less drama and far more action with the Kilrathi. When I think of a Wing Commander movie, I envision something like Starship Troopers with more space battles and way more felines in it. Starship Troopers had kind of a cheesy Sci-Fi feeling with its "Join up Now" and faux commercials and I think that cheesy as it was really added more to the movie. The whole attempt at romance in the movie could have been done away with, or done better. I think that with the storyline they introduced in that movie, the whole thing should have been done in about 25 minutes...tops.

I love the games, books and even the cartoon series. The movie seemed like a big disappointment to me. Plus, the Kilrathi looked like they were made out of clay in the movie. Are cats supposed to be furry? Plus, pilots would never go on an assualt mission with marines. That was just stupid but I think that whole topic was disucess before. I gave that movie a big 2 thumbs down. Too bad because with a legacy like Wing Commander, it could have been so much better.

BigsWickDagger said:
The film had some good qualities, but not enough to offset its weak points.

I'm quite fond of its soundtrack. Wing Commander products seem to routinely do a good job in that area.

BigsWickDagger said:
For whatever reasons it veered away from the general theme of the games in several areas, and I think that lack of continuity disappointed many viewers.

Well, the appearances of the ships, the Kilrathi, and the uniforms also change between the first few Wing Commander games. Of course, the movie took a much bigger leap than any of the games did. I don't think most people were prepared for that. I certainly wasn't. After a while, though, you can get past it. There are bigger problems with the movie to deal with, after all.

Can't go wrong with anything orchestrated by Nicholas Dodd.

That's funny...

I want a new Wing Commander game that won't let me type in a very big callsign and my name will end up being Thrillho.

Death said:
WCM isn't even remotely close to "worst movie ever", though I'll not go to the other extreme and say it's the best movie ever, either.

Anyone who says WCM is the worst movie ever made obviously has yet to watch Manos: The Hands of Fate. The original version, without the MST3K commentary.

Yes, I have done this. It took some effort (and vast quantities of alcohol) to convince my involuntary muscle control center to not shut down in shock.

How did you survive the 15 or 20 minutes of aimless driving through the countryside? I would have needed more than alcohol. Actually, the thing that made the WC movie so awful was that being a fan of the games, I had such high expectations. Now when I talk to a layperson about Wing Commander and they say something like "Oh, I saw that movie.", I have to explain that it really does'nt (or should'nt) have anything to do with the WC universe because it lacks everything that made the game series special.

I suppose the very simple fact is, the Wing Commander movie was not nearly as good as the cinema scenes from Wing Commanders 3 and 4 (I can't speak about Prophecy since I haven't acquired it yet). Mark Hamill, Tom Wilson, John-Rhys Davies, and Malcolm McDowell (of course, WC3+ original characters like Captain Eisen were great too!) outshone the cast chosen for Maverick, Maniac, Paladin, and Tolwyn.Although it wouldn't quite make sense, I wish the original cast from WC3 and up would have been in these films.

ChanceKell said:
Last time I checked, Chris Roberts had the movie rights for the series, while EA held the gaming rights. They aren't dependent on one another, so don't expect a movie then a game, or vise-versa.

No one "expects" anything, and the fact that "they aren't dependent on one another" may or not be true, but it is also quite irrelevant in this instance. If the WC movie had been a blockbuster we might have seen EA develop another game in the series. Why? Because they would simply be taking advantage of the momentum caused by a renewed interest in the Wing Commander universe, regardless of who made the movie. If Roberts has the movie rights and chooses to make movies, so be it as far as EA is concerned. On the other hand, EA can only benefit if the movies made by Roberts are popular. EA, as the owner of the rights to the games, could elect to make another installment of the WC series if it believes it would be profitable to take advantage of the renewed interest in WC generated by the movie(s). Moreover, if the movie is basically a flop or financially unprofitable, EA hasn't lost a thing. Roberts took (or would take) all of the risk while the folks at EA could simply sit back and see how things worked out before committing to anything. Accordingly, ownership over this or that would have made little if any difference.

And I don't think we'll see another WC movie. I'd bet my unopened KS against it.

Raven0215 said:
I think AI was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I sat through that whole movie and just got up at the end and left because i didn't care how it ended.

I painfully sat through the whole thing hoping that there might be a chance that the creepy little robot kid might die at the end. Why wasn't he given a three year life span!

A.I. was one of the most important movies of the last decade simply because it showed the horror between humanity and it's ideals behind fairy tales.

BigsWickDagger said:
If the WC movie had been a blockbuster we might have seen EA develop another game in the series. Why? Because they would simply be taking advantage of the momentum caused by a renewed interest in the Wing Commander universe, regardless of who made the movie.
EA actually did take advantage of the original movie's "momentum." My copy of Prophecy has a sticker on the front claiming to be something along the lines of "Inspiration for the new WING COMMANDER movie."

ChanceKell said:
EA actually did take advantage of the original movie's "momentum." My copy of Prophecy has a sticker on the front claiming to be something along the lines of "Inspiration for the new WING COMMANDER movie."

Hmmmm.........Could you have a copy that was issued (reissued) after the movie hit the theatres? I pulled my "standard" edition of Prophecy off the shelf and found the copyright date to read, "© 1997." My Gold Edition reads, "© 1997, 1998." Neither mention the movie. Besides, this would have been 1-2 years before the movie was released, before any momentum (or lack thereof) was established.

Back