New DosBox version 0.61

K1nG Gr4H4m

Spaceman
For those using DosBox to play old WC games (WC, WC2, Academy), there is a new version out: 0.61.
It may correct a few bugs here and there. Like in WC2, the bug where you could not create a new player because of a text problem. Yay! :)

Get it at: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

Privateer 1 doesnt run on dosbox, or i'm doing something wrong? ^^

Privateer DOES work under DOSBox, just change your DOSBox.cfg file from EMS=TRUE to EMS=FALSE and it will work under XP!

Cheers,
Andrew

Thanks Andrew! It works now. I got some performance problems though. Frameskip 10 and cycle 10000 gives the best result, but flying is impossible, not enough FPS. But the sound works, and its just lovely to hear "Not a chance pall, prepare to go to hell" once again :)

Privateer with DosBox 0.61 Hangs

I'm running WIN98SE on an Athlon XP2000(+!) but even with the config file set to EMS=false and playing with a variety of cycles from 500-10000 and frameskips from 0-20, I only get a half screen of garbage graphics before it craps out. DosBox worked great for me getting both Starflight 2 and Frontier going finally, but this EMS JEMM thing is a real doozy. Is there a way to access the 'Config.sys' file for DosBox? Would that just get me into even more trouble than I'm in already? And, Yes, I have tried myjemm, also to no avail.

I missed out entirely on the WC:privateer thing in its day, and I'm really curious to see what all this buzz is about.

Does everyone elses sound work correctly? Mine sucks... can anyone tell me their settings? At this point, it's just dice rolling.

For WC1 and WC2, I use Sound Blaster, but that was with DosBox 0.60. Maybe with the new version Roland MT-32 is better. For Privateer, it only works without sound for me.

K1nG Gr4H4m said:
For those using DosBox to play old WC games (WC, WC2, Academy), there is a new version out: 0.61.
It may correct a few bugs here and there. Like in WC2, the bug where you could not create a new player because of a text problem. Yay! :)

Get it at: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for the tip. I really missed Privateer!

My sound works perfect in Privateer via DOSBox + game at normal speed (not to slow or so) - Here is my full config for Privateer:
[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullwidth=0
fullheight=0
output=surface
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true

[dosbox]
language=
machine=auto
memsize=64

[render]
frameskip=0
snapdir=snaps
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
core=normal
cycles=9000
cycleup=500
cycledown=500

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
wavedir=waves

[midi]
mpu401=true
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
sblaster=true
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
sbrate=22050
adlib=true
adlibrate=22050
adlibmode=adlib
cms=false
cmsrate=22050

[gus]
gus=true
rate=22050
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=true
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[bios]
# Nothing to setup yet!

[dos]
xms=true
ems=false

[modem]
modem=true
comport=2
listenport=23

[autoexec]
mount C: C:\Spiele\Dosbox\Games
mount D: C:\Spiele\Dosbox\cds\privateer -t cdrom
C:

I forgot which SB I'm exactly using in game, but guess SB 16 or Pro (if available)

Anyway, for those having problems to get it running at normal speed:
Privateer needs plenty of CPU power to run well via DOSBox - the lowest CPU being able to run it that I heard of so far is an Athlon XP 2400+ - a PIV 1.7Ghz was already too slow. Sorry for those not having such clocks :(

EDIT: And @Frustrado: As far as I know DOSBox is meant for Win NT/2k/XP maxhines and won'T work under Win9x - I could be wrong though, but it would explain your problems.

And here a tip for those who haven't noticed it so far: To prevent WCII from crashing after the second mission, add
to your autoexec.bat in the DOSBox config ;)

Never mind ;)

Just wait for a 5GHz CPU, so you can play WC3 via DOSBox as well *g :D

P.S.: Like someone in the DOSBox Forum already said: It's very funny, that people update their PC to be able to play games from 1990 to 1996 :D

Good Idea to link this one. Especially for those who haven't used DOSBox yet or just don't like File editing. It's really a nice little toy :)
I myself will keep with simply editing files - I got way too used to it. ;)

Can't seem to run Wing Commander 2 Deluxe CD

I was able to get the program to run and work well under DOSBox 0.61, but the problem is that it tends to suddenly lock up without warning, and I can't get it to work again.

It doesn't crash Windows (I can close the DOSBox window and run Windows without any problems), but it continues to lock up even with different sound options (or even no sound).

Anyone know how to get around this?

Thank you for you time. :)

Yes, that is the "add loadfix to the autoexec.bat in your DOSBox.conf" I mentioned above:
And here a tip for those who haven't noticed it so far: To prevent WCII from crashing after the second mission, add
Quote:

loadfix

to your autoexec.bat in the DOSBox config.
The Crashes also happen during autopiloting in other missions, btw.

Back