New DosBox version 0.61

High,

Originally Posted by K1nG Gr4H4m
Thank you very much.
The only thing I need now is a faster pc.

wrong, You need a slow one :)!
Wrong, either :D : You need a PC that exactly matches the specs Privateer needs - nothing older, nothing newer (my SB ISA was too new for WC2 already :confused: ) - Anyway, setting up another old rig that really runs the Wing Commander games perfect, is very difficult. I managed to get them all running, except WC2 Speech pack :( - ok, my K6-2 400Mhz was still too fast with Cache enabled. Well, nearly no need for that PC anymore, except for WC3, WC4 DVD, WCP, nfs3 in 3dfx, Pod in 3dfx... ;)

I can finally play the original Wing Commander instead of the one included with the Kilrathi Saga!
I found to stop the sound stuttering for some users, select Adlib instead of Sound blaster. Besides that, the game is great! I look forward to trying out Privateer and Strike Commander too!

privateer, so is it possible?

i'm trying to run privateer through dosbox 0.61 (as i heard it is possible). but my windows locks up with some strange blue Chars at the top half, then it throughs me back to windows...

i have set ems=false and xms=true (and every other combination possible...) but it still doesn't work...

i have cpu of 1.7ghz and 256mb ram, using windows xp...
can anyone please help me on how to run privateer?

thanx!

Try different sound settings in the games' 'install' option. Mine did this if I selected any other sound card but sound blaster and an IRQ of 7.
Just keep trying different things. You'll figure it out soon. It seems all computers have different solutions for this problem. Makes sense since most computers are quite different. 8)

I have the weird blue characters error, but if you wait a few minutes it starts working. Also I have the CD version which is intolerable cause the thing takes ten years every time it reads the CD. :( Anyways, It's kinda choppy. Kinda really choppy.

I have the weird blue characters error, but if you wait a few minutes it starts working. Also I have the CD version which is intolerable cause the thing takes ten years every time it reads the CD. Anyways, It's kinda choppy. Kinda really choppy.
Sorry, don't know which blue char. error you mean. Are you talking about Privateer? I guess so. To the CD read prob: have you tried to copy your files to your harddrive? You can set any drive to a CD-ROm drive in DOSBox. I prefer that to always have to use a CD anyway (use it for Rebel Assault, Sam&Max as well). Hope that helps you ;)

johnhawke said:
I have the weird blue characters error, but if you wait a few minutes it starts working. Also I have the CD version which is intolerable cause the thing takes ten years every time it reads the CD. :( Anyways, It's kinda choppy. Kinda really choppy.

I had the same problem too. I increased the CPU cycles until it seemed to be moving faster. Then by simply window-'ing' the screen (alt-enter) then making the window full screen, the stuttering suddenly stops and the game starts working like normal.

To fix the CD access time, manually copy the .tre files into Privateer's directory and then point the configuration files to that directory. Unforunately, I've forgotten which file to edit. It does work, so look around. I've done it myself.

Hmm. If you have several partitions, perhaps you could copy the CD-ROM files to another partition and mount this partition as the CD-ROM itself?

You don't need a whole partition to mount it as a cd-drive. Just check my autoexec.bat for DOSBox:
[autoexec]
mount C: C:\Spiele\Dosbox\Games
mount D: C:\Spiele\Dosbox\cds\privateer -t cdrom
C:
I've simply copied all files from the CD to c:\Spiele\DosBox\cds\privateer and mounted that drive as CD-drive. You could also do what Moonsword suggested, but no idea which config file has to be changed. Anyway, with my solution you can uninstall/reinstall it as often as you want without always having to change a privateer config file ;)

Didn't realise you could do that. 8)
Also I tried editing the config files (one for sound, one for the game itself, one for the addon etc) but it still didn't detect the CD. However the other method I will try. Thanks. 8)

Without my copy of the CD version at hand, I can't tell you. It can be done. I did it once because I had to put in a new hard drive and couldn't find the DOS CD drivers.

Okay, I also have been trying to get priv working on DosBox. Heres what happened: it ran initially, starting with joystick calibration (Yay!). But after that, it crashed, saying something like;

It starts with a memory report, showing values for near, far, and high. Then going the other way, it has values for original, current, and used. The two combine, so its a total of 9 values. Strangely, the High+used value is a negative number, maybe thats the error, but the bigger culprit is what appears under that.

it then says "Fatal Error."

"Error Code: D002-FFFF
Program Halted by code"

Its not part of the dosbox console, but the part that you actually view the games and such through, so it sounds like an error on privateers end.

Also, now that I've configured my joystick, its happening all the time, not asking for joystick calibration (so I presume that it saved my joystick calibration values).

I have a 1.3 GHz P4, 768 MB RDRAM, and a geforce3. I tried experimenting with my CPU cycles, setting it up to 10000, but to no avail. ANy idea whats wrong?

Edit: Okay, I just tried setting my sound to 'none' for both speech and music. And the game worked, so it seems to be a sound issue. I have a Creative Soundblaster AudioPCI64V (WDM), according to my device manager. Any tricks?

Ok, nevermind, I found out what was wrong, and got sound working (and ended up disabling it utterly due to performance issues, cnat wait to get my new comp built).

ANd the edit button has dissappeared from my previous post, so I had to make a new reply. Sorry.

No problem, that's normal (EDIT button ;) )
But could you post what was wrong with your config? Just interested and maybe someone is getting the same Error, so it'll help them, too ;)

ok. Basically, it was the sound card. I set the IRQ or DMA wrong, or something like that. Make sure that they are set to what DOSBox emulates! I can't remember off the top of my head, but it should be in the documentation somewhere, and privateer doesnt default to those very settings. Heck, the IRQ and DMA values should be in the startup message to DOSBox, so just follow that ;)

I am getting an error with dosbox that says CUP paging feature not supported.
I have EMS set to false. Any ideas?
Please let me know me know that hrobins@giant.net

Back