My Privateer

This is just an idea but I always wish that Privateer had a multi-player mode.And you can talk to other players in the bars.

-ICEMAN

------------------
...As long they dont piss me off!

I'm actually just starting my 4 year study on "informatica" as we call it in holland. It's basically just computer studies. We start with java in year one and build up to C. BTW I have 2 rather thick books in my cupboard which I intend to start on (when I have the time) I akready started the first. They are 1: Using C++ (from beginners to intermediate) and 2: 3d game programming with C+ (from intermediate to pro)

------------------
Go here now ---> http://www.marinecorps.co.uk

There's not much difference between Java and C except for pointers and functions instead of methods. And if you're an experienced programmer in some other language I recommend getting the book: The C Programming Language. Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie. 2nd Edition. It's the original C book and it's only 272 pages long including the appendicies.

Well DADAD is going down for sure.

Hey by the way what do we have to do for computer engineering?!

Rider why do you keep saying that DaDa is going down? Have you ever programmed any games before? It's not illegal to make a nother Privateer as long as its not selled for a profit.

-ICEMAN

------------------
...As long they dont piss me off!

[This message has been edited by ICEMAN (edited August 01, 2000).]

You dont haft to trust him but how do you know he can't make this game?

-ICEMAN

------------------
You're like a virgin on prom night!!

Yeah, I still have my dream of a Crusader single player half-life mod...

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

It *might* be possible if you had the source, however, I doubt you can modify the exising Priv to such a large gameworld, code new plot missions, and make a fully detailed planet, without the source.

Rider said:
Hey by the way what do we have to do for computer engineering?!

CompEng is basically a combination of CompSci and ElecEng. However CompEnger's don't do as much electrical engineering as ElecEngers. Basically you learn what you need to design your own microprocessors and digital systems etc ... IMHO it's the best computer based degree you could get since you get to do everything from programming in a high level language to mucking about with systems at their most basic level.

I'd say that depends more on the place where you intend to take the CompEng course. I took the CompScience course here for 5 years and it was most a theoric approach. There were lots of projects that depended on C, Pascal and Assembler. The only language they taught there was Pascal. If you wanted to know the others you had to do that by yourself.
And such was the case when I needed to learn Java for my graduating project.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited August 05, 2000).]

Klaus, that's basically true with every possible degree you can think of. But say you go somewhere with good computing degrees, CompEng is the most fun and probably the most useful.

Hey thanks for the information about comp.engg. well I want to become one and if you guys have more please do write now!

Hey...is this new Privateer going to take place in the whole Wing Commander Universe...and could you go into Kilrathi space..also what time will it take place?......

I wouldn't get one's hopes up on this Dada's making privateer. It is illegal to make a game about a liscensed product, enspecially if you do not need another product to use it (If you had to have priv or something like that to play the game, thats diff, companies don't mind mods as much)

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Unfortunately that is too bad...

There are some great Mods out for the recent games; but designing a new Privateer using the foundation of the presently licensed Privateer is definitely illegal.

So... there are only two logical answers for this:

1) He isn't actually writing a Priv game and is just blowing smoke...

OR...

2) He really is writing a Priv game; and if Origin caught wind of it selling for a profit and using the same foundation of the actual Priv game... say Bonjour to a 5'-5' cell.

*crawls into his castle and launches a 20-foot wood rabbit with a catapult*

Back