My Privateer

DADADA

Spaceman
My friends and I are making a new Privateer
with a setup HERE's THE BRAKEDOWN:

1#
The ships will be the same but will look better.

2#
The people will have acess to all sectors.

3#
on planet setup will be made like King Quest Mask of Eternity(Fully Detailed)

...any help or tips for the Game would be great! We are NOT kidding by the way,
we have already started the process.
(PS. this game is SO LARGE it will have to be put on DVD to work!)

and if you dont have a DVD player now you most likely will by the we're done(snicker)

------------------
xxxooo

so why'ed did you leave origin and EA?
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason I don't have a huge amount of confidence that someone who can't spell breakdown can organize a major project like this (and avoid having (c) problems if it ever gets completed (because its kind of difficult to send out free DVDs))

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

hehe sorry bout that

and they wont be free?(duh)
and game making isn't as hard as you think
ya just have to know how to do it

and besides we're stealing some stuff off of Kings Quest Mask,and Prophecy...and before u say WE CANT! we can and have, ripping stuff off is fine as long as u change it,
like with sin and unreal which came from Quake2....

So basically you're copying a bunch of stuff to which Sierra and EA own the rights, and then you're gonna sell it as a "Privateer" game, a name that is also owned by EA? Hehe, you're going down.

Unreal is based on a completely different code base than Q2, and Sin is FUBAR.

Game making is difficult you clod. If it wasn't there wouldn't be so many stupid games on the market.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

Considering that work on Unreal started long before Quake (though it was completed much later), I think I'm inclined to agree with TC
smile.gif

I believe, however, that the reason for the existence of so many stupid games is not that game making is difficult, but rather that it's not difficult enough.

Game making itself is difficult. Good game making is much more difficult.

For example I have made many simple, crappy games. I have yet to come up with something anywhere near the standards of a WC game.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Well, the guy wants to be a Privateer. What do you expect he'll be doing?
smile.gif

<feeling lousy and likes to be dumb today>
biggrin.gif

------------------
Turn me loose, Colonel.
This is what I live for!

That depends. I guess if you're good at programming, then the "making" part isn't too difficult. But the "designing" part would be incredibly difficult. Just look at how much crap there is out there these days. It seems like good designers are really hard to find now.

The thing he's getting at is that there are a lot of first person shooters out there based on the same engine. Witness BUILD. However, what he apparently doesnt know is that all of this was licensed, and very few good games are actually released (part of why it is too easy is that you can often buy someone else's engine for a few bucks and throw some cr@p game together on it) Sooner or later you pay for using other peoples material, wether it be in cash or jailtime. Speaking of jailtime, DADADA, Im not sure if chat zone info can be used as evidence but I get the feeling the less you say the better...

------------------
You deal death with your roars and your screams, your threats, your taunts, your overblown ego. I hand it out, one with the steel and the silence, the blackness around me, with a thought.

Just out of curiosity... Has anyone other than me in this discussion actually had any programing experiance (And I mean other than throwing together a stupid little program in BASIC)?

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Uh... yeah of course... all right, no.

I'm afraid my programming experienced is limited to Basic and Visual Basic. Though my programs weren't stupid little programs
smile.gif
. I used one to steal my computers teacher's password on the school network. That was back in the days of DOS.

Other than that, I suppose I could claim some experience with Turbo Pascal, but that was back at the start of the 90s, and I no longer remember anything. Since then, I've tried to relearn it a few times, and to learn C - but all my attempts met with dismal failure
frown.gif
. I simply couldn't force myself to read through those damned programming books, and none of my computers teachers would know the difference between Basic and C.
frown.gif

Maybe it's time to try again... nah.

TC: Aside from professional programming, just how much experience are you implying? I have'nt been programming a lot, since I do not see the need for it [no challenge].
Sorry, I do not like hacking for kicks - I have a family to feed. Hmmm, been spending more time at the salt mines to bother with programming anyway. Besides, I'll have to buy newer development kits, just to stay abreast with technology. <Arrrgh> It's a very expensive hobby.
Oh well, I'll just have let the others do it and I'll pluck out the dinero for now.
wink.gif

------------------
Turn me loose, Colonel.
This is what I live for!

There are free compilers available for many programming languages (not including the Microsoft Visual languages)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Well I've done some Java. Mostly stupid programs and implementing some data structures in it. I've done Haskell, which is a purely functional language. It pisses a lot of people off since you can't store variables. Also done a little assembly on the Motorola68K (Sega Megadrive), written a stupid little program for GameBoy in some really basic C. Now I'm learning more C since I need it to do some uni subjects.

The Sun Java Development Kit is free, and for C and C++ you can use Cygwin B20. I'm not too fimiliar with the later, just started using it. But there's nothing like a Unix/Linux system for programming. The way Unix/Linux is set up is just so much better for debugging ...

Back