My Privateer Thread

I remember being intercepted by a pair of Dralthi in my very first mission! It took me a lotta time and work to kill them with my totally undergunned Tarsus (and they almost did that to me!!). As far as I remember, this was the only time I had so much trouble with the Flying Pancakes (usually, the easiest kill of all Kilrathi fighters).

Then, next day, I was returning very battered from a really hard mission on my Galaxy, when I was met and entire squadron of Kilrathi ships waiting for me in the jump point! I afterburned thowards the jump buble, their shots exploding all around me. When I activated the jump sequence, I thought I was safe... just to see my ship being destroyed in the middle of the jump animation!!!!

Originally posted by Sycrusian
I thought I was safe... just to see my ship being destroyed in the middle of the jump animation!!!!

Wow! thats weird, hmm that must of been a bug because how could they of shot you while you were between points?

:D I was killed loads of times in the jump animation, it could happen, it was no bug, the ships around you appeared in the animation. But something even stranger happened to me many times. Exploding just after the jump! I thought I had barely escaped death when just after appearing in the new system the exploding animation took place.

Aaahhhh....what memories....Those missions in Delta and Delta Prime systems, and dying just before entering the base. I love this game, even for these things. :)

Zhak.

Originally posted by Zhakrin
:D I was killed loads of times in the jump animation, it could happen, it was no bug, the ships around you appeared in the animation. But something even stranger happened to me many times. Exploding just after the jump! I thought I had barely escaped death when just after appearing in the new system the exploding animation took place.

I've had that happend before but never in the middle of the jump.

"Aaahhhh....what memories....and dying just before entering the base. I love this game, even for these things. :) "

I agree

I usually drew them out to about 15-17000k then afterburned straight to the jumppoint. Didn't work all the time, but at least if I did die, I saw pretty fireworks :)

Originally posted by redwolf
I usually drew them out to about 15-17000k then afterburned straight to the jumppoint.

Yeah that wasnt really a issue most of the time when you get all upgraded especally with the centurian.

Originally posted by Stryker
"Aaahhhh....what memories....and dying just before entering the base. I love this game, even for these things. :) "

I agree

Ditto! :D

Geez, every time I post on this thread a realize even more how long has it been since I played Priv and RF by the last time...

I remember finding a "secret" jumppoint (it didn't appear in any maps) somewhere near the asteroid field where you fight the last battle against that whatever-his-name Retro leader in Eden System in RF. It led to a really far system, but I can't remember well... can anyone confirm this, please?

Really? I thought Eden was the secret system. Was thereanother secret system?? Please someone answer, I'm beginning to feel the Privateer Fever running through my veins, that one that makes you go hunting secret asteroids, kilrathi arms caches etc, etc...

STOP ME SOMEONE!

:p

Zhak.

Well, not exactly!

What I do remember was the existance of a non-mapped jumppoint within Eden that leads to another system (that is on the map, but I can't remember wich). It's more like a secret route to Eden than a secret place.

Originally posted by Sycrusian
It's more like a secret route to Eden than a secret place.

Or, I should say, a secret route from Eden. Sorry I can't remember much more, but I only traversed through it once, on the last time I played RF... Didn't have the time to check up for any plot implications of it.

It could well be a bug, too...

I see...

I think this deserves another Privateer game :)

After all I spent weeks looking for the hidden weapons depot barmen kept talking about, even though it does not exist ;)

Cya in a month! I'm going to be very busy with this!

:D

Zhak

Ah, playing privateer....several hours before the computer, loosing track of time...
I remember once jumping in a system, to find out pirates, confed and hunters hated me. Its definitly not easy to run away when like 10+ ships of different groups decide to stop shooting eachother and turn on you...I still dont know how it happened

Now on the ship to use. I never flew a Galaxy....I guess that will be a thing Ill regret in my death bed or something like that, dont know. But what I did was have a fully upgraded Orion, which was amazing. I only traded it later for a centurion to try something different
I mean, the orion with full upgrade, you could simply get behind a talon and afterburn into an asteroid field. Was really fun to see it slam on an asteroid and go boom as he tried not to be rammed by you. Otherwise, you rammed it, and it went boom anyway. The high level shields protected just fine

I never got to play RF...I actually got the cd that comes with RF and remember vaguely watching the intro (btw, is that a robot or a man in battlesuit in the begining?)

When freelancer came out I had that little taste of privateer back (at least in intention), which probably was why I got in some random server with the name of OneEye Willy and attacked random players waiting to land, yelling "ARRR!" and "Burn me timbers!"

ah, the good old days of piracy...

Originally posted by Eder
Actually, I think that the ship dealer won't let you change ships if the old one has more cargo than the new one can handle. I could be wrong, tho.
To clarify: Excess Cargo.

Originally posted by Aries
...but if you can aim, [torps are] almost as good as tracking missiles...
I know what you're trying to say, but that sounds a bit silly. :)

Originally posted by Aries
...but if [Retros] were friendly, what fun would the game be.
Actually, it wouldn't be much fun if everyone is friendly. Even with hostile Retros, the end of RF can be very quiet and boring.

Originally posted by Zhakrin
Really? I thought Eden was the secret system. Was thereanother secret system?? Please someone answer, I'm beginning to feel the Privateer Fever running through my veins, that one that makes you go hunting secret asteroids, kilrathi arms caches etc, etc...
Zhak.

That jumppoint is part of the storyline of RF actually. When you get to eden you are told that their leader is "by the grey moon" or something like that. If you follow that advice you usually see that hidden jump point on your radar by the time you find him.

I see. So this means there's another secret jump point in the exit system, right? I don't remember this, but I've not played RF in a loooong time.

Zhak.

I don't mean to change the subject but someone alwile ago i belive in this thread had the idea of playing threw privateer with the Trarus. This made me thinking and i havent gotten threw the hole game fully with it.
Has anyone done this? or did they make the game where its impossable, call me crazy but theres somthing about that ship that is apealing as of lates.

Back