My Privateer Thread

Viper61

Spaceman
To avoid hijacking Cam's thread froma few days ago, I'll start my own for my privateer questions. Some easy questions:
1-When you upgrade ships, does all your goodies come with you? ie Engine upgrades, radar etc
2-How much do you have to have to buy a Centurion, Orion, or galaxy?
3-can you join both the mercenary and Merchants guilds?
4-Is the Orion as slow and lumbering as the manual makes it sound?
5-If you do want to do both, which ship would be best?

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I make my way through this extremely cool game for the first time.

C-ya

1) Yes (Your cargo will be sold IIRC if you don´t have place in the new ship)

2)From my mind, IIRC: Orion 75000, Galaxy 150000? Centurion 200000?

3)Yes

4)Worse ;)

5)Centurion Or Galaxy

Originally posted by Ghost
1) Yes (Your cargo will be sold IIRC if you don´t have place in the new ship)

Actually, I think that the ship dealer won't let you change ships if the old one has more cargo than the new one can handle. I could be wrong, tho.

4 - If you can afford the best engine and the best shield upgrades, the Orion isn't bad. It's still not good as the Galaxy or the Centurion though.

5 - That depends on your skills. If you're good at combat, the Centurion will mostly always feel like an overkill, and you'll just be losing cargo space. In this case, you'll probably be fine with the Galaxy, even though it only has two guns... If you're not so good at combat, though, you might need the Centurion in order to make it thru the hardest combat missions, and you'd basically be trading cargo space for survival :)

--Eder

Your upgrades do not go with you. The ship dealer gives you cash for your old ship and everything on it. If your ship is equipped well enough, this will almost be enough to buy the new ship, though IIRC it will never be completely sufficient.

When RF came around with the new upgrades and the level 7 shields and generators the Orion was by far my favorite ship. Once I fully equipped it and added the gun cooler and two fusion guns I had unlimited firepower and completely owned the retros in the last mission.

Another question:

Can you set the missile launchers (if you have two of them) to launch individually instead of simulataneously? Same question for energy weapons.

Also, what good is the torpedo launcher? Do the torps track?

C-ya

Missiles launch individually by default. You can individually arm certain guns to fire with the number keys as well.

torpedo launchers are good cause it don't cost as much as missile launcher, torps are good cause they are the least expensive missile weapon out there and pack a decent punch. they don't track, but if you can aim, they're almost as good as tracking missiles. another good point bout torps, their refire rate is fairly quick

OMG somebody who is playing Privateer for the first time. :cool: :cool: Damn I wish it was me, it its a truely awsome game.

Originally posted by Viper61
Another question:

Can you set the missile launchers (if you have two of them) to launch individually instead of simulataneously? Same question for energy weapons.

Also, what good is the torpedo launcher? Do the torps track?

C-ya

Using the MS Sidewinder joystick, the HAT switch operates the missile launchers. If you push the HAT switch directly downward, both missile tubes will fire. If you push the HAT switch to the left, it fires the left tube, push to the right, it fires the right tube.

Not wanting to jump on someone elses thread but does anyone know how to change whether a particular faction is hostile, neutral or friendly? Somehow, when playing through Priv I managed to turn the pirates friendly and the hunters hostile. I think I managed this by tractoring in a couple of ejected hunter pilots and selling them into slavery. Confed also turned hostile until the last part of the last mission in the storyline. I'm playing through RF now and the Hunters are still hostile. any ideas to make them nuetral or friendly?

Originally posted by jammyo2k
I'm playing through RF now and the Hunters are still hostile. any ideas to make them nuetral or friendly?

don't shoot them, say peaceful things to them, don't sell anything illegal and attack the pirates. that should put you back on the 'right' side of the law. course if you want to keep the pirates as friends, don't attack them, but do everything else and you might be able to make friends with everyone, except the Retros. but if they were friendly, what fun would the game be.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. making friends with the pirates helped when you have to scout the Beta, Gamma and Delta Prime systems. It halved the amount of combat you had to do in asteroid fields which actually made it possible for me.

Its a shame the Retro's could never be friendly to me. I wanted to convert to the Church of Man, and party with a bit of Ultimate and a few Pleasure Borgs with those fine theologians. :cool:

The first time I played privateer I built up my money and purchased/equipped a new ship just by piracy. Some of those draymans sure dumped valuable cargo when they blew up. Needless to say, the only ones not gunning for me were the pirates (I wasn't near Kilrathi space yet - I later found out they would help me fight the confeds when I finally ran into them). :p

I remember my first Kilrathi encounter...I've shred through several pirates before and thought it would be no problem. But this cat was very tough. After 5 -6minutes of battle I managed to destroy that thing, but my craft was so badly shot up I nearly couldn't afford repair. These were the days!:)

Ok i got a question for you guys. Way back in the day when I purchased Priv I tryed it out before me and my family went out for dinner and I was basicly just messing around trying to figure out what was going on and how to play this thing.
I ran across a confed pegases (i think thats what the destroyers are called in that thing, gotta replay it >,<). But anyway As it chased me I got to a jump bubble and with it right on my tail i jumped with it. Acually taking it to the system i probley randomly set corse too.

As anyone came across this also or am i alone?

Never happened to me. Sounds like you had some major problems when it jumped with you. One dead merc.

By the way, it was called a Paradigm.

It happened to me with a kilrathi Gothri. :) I thought I had escaped but...

It's amazing how many weird things you could do in Privateer. I think that's why I love so much this game.

Zhak.

Originally posted by Zhakrin

It's amazing how many weird things you could do in Privateer. I think that's why I love so much this game.

Zhak.

I agree, It added a level of suprise didn't it :D

Thanks for the correction Redwolf, and yeah i was dead.....

Back