Movies With Space Combat

Mjr. Whoopass

<FONT color=lightblue><B>I was going to say someth
I just saw a movie I had never heard of on the Sci-Fi channel that had space combat. I'm often looking to watch space combat films, but I don't know of any I haven't seen yet. I thought it would be a good post to have people list the movies, so others and myself can look for them if we're at a video store looking for these types of films- try to give some detail as to the extent of space combat in the movie..

The movie I just saw was "Total Reality" made in 1997. It begins with a fuball of fighters fighting around a massive ship. They have a marine ship that unloads marines to take the ship. After this scene there's no major space combat and the movie is decent but not good. I was just happy to see that opening scene.
Other movies with space combat:
WCM (obviously): lots of combat
Star Wars Series: lots of combat especially in Ep. IV and VI
Battle Star Galacticas (old and new series): not really a movie, but some nice space combat. The old ones have bad graphics.
The Last Starfighter: A little bit of space combat with really bad graphics.
Starship Troopers: Not much space combat, but you can watch some huge starships take a beating.
I'm sure there are some good space combat scenes in Star Trek movies, but I don't know which ones.
Andromeda, a T.V. series, has some good space combat scenes. Especially in the opening show.
Babylon 5, another T.V. series, has some space combat but I never seemed to get lucky. Whenever I watched it, they seemed to just deal with diplomatic problems.
Farscape, yet another T.V. series, has some space combat.
The Stargate T.V. series' will occasionally have space combat.

In addition to adding movies/T.V. series' you've seen, feel free to elaborate on ones already posted (i.e. which episodes, amt. of combat, etc..).

Just would like to Add

Space:Above and Beyound

It was a good show for its time I have all the episodes on vhs my Favorates are the ones with Chiggy von Richthofen. Go Col. McQueen [hehe]

Attachments

• boom.jpg
    boom.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 218
  • vans3.jpg
    vans3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 237
That's a very nice topic - I always thought I liked space combat movies too, until I stopped to think and come up with some names. Hmmm, not sci-fi flicks that I really recall for great combat scenes, but maybe some you can steer clear of:

Buck Rogers in the 25th century - tried to jump on the Star Wars bandwagon, but failed. Laughable story, wooden characters, and the same space combat scene is used over and over again. Interestingly, it's got the same cockpit as the Battlestar Galactica fighters.
Thunderbirds - revamped from a 60's TV show, this has cool gadgets, great spaceships, and nothing really exhilarating. Action sequences feel watered down for teenage audiences.
Battle Beyond the Stars - kind of like the seven samurai in space, in B-movie quality, but some nice not thoroughly cheap effects
Treasure Planet - well, it's in space and has combat, yes. But not as you would think. [Galleons? Brigs? Frigates?]

I'll keep racking my memory if if recall anything else...

Mjr. Whoopass said:
I'm sure there are some good space combat scenes in Star Trek movies, but I don't know which ones.

Man, how can you forget the battle in the Mutara (sp?) Nebula between the Reliant and Enterprise, in ST2:TWoK? I mean, I can understand forgetting the ship-to-ship combat in Insurrection or Nemesis (neither of which were particularly wonderful), but the fight with Khan? :p

I agree, the 'duel' in Star Trek II is the single best battle scene in Trek, behind the Enterprise-A engaging General Chang's Bird of Prey in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

KHAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!

Haha, classic moment and movie. Yep, you're right that's absolutely ST at its best, also the fight with Christopher Lloyd was pretty good.

guys, what about that 30sec. fleet battle in First Contact?
federation fleet gets a wippin, enters Picard, borg cube goes boom. instant classic.

I have those on DVD, but there aren't any space battle.
lots of air and ground action, but the spaceships just hang there. all silent.

Unless I'm mistaken... I got to watch those again.

IIRC there are some fighters or small ships attacking a Guild ship or frigate in space.
it is a short shot maybe 5 secs.

Nope, there were some space scenes in Children of Dune, but all the action occurs planetside. If you really are into watching lots of space combat and like WC I would highly recomend getting the episodes from Space: Above and Beyond. It is just like a WC series with different aliens. Also, the new Battlestar Galactica has some nice space fights, but I don't no how much space action will be taking place now that the series seems more focused on charecters and less on space battles, a plus in my book. Anyway, try and get Space: Above and Beyond, but I don't know where you could find it :confused: .

Since you included some TV Series' in your original listing Mjr. Whoopass, I would like to add

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (the BEST Space Battles in Trek History, Seasons 6 and 7 Stand Out, but the Battle for Deep Space Nine in Way of the Warrior (Season 4) and Call to Arms (Season 5) are alos great).

The Space Battle in Star Trek: Generation, is cool also "Target their Bridge"..."Full Disruptors"

Lost in Space has a Brief Space Battle at the start.

There also Galaxy Guest

And there's even a very brief space battle in Blackadder Back and Forth :D

i remember when s:aab first came on when i was a kid.

it was a damn fine show.

too bad i wasn't old enough to appreciate it to the fullest.

isn't it on dvd?

I was 15 when S:AAB came, OMG that was 10 Years Ago, they should bring it out DVD for the 10th Aniversary.

Maj.Striker said:
KHAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!

I think you need a couple more A's in that quote :)

What was that 80's movie where the human fighter pilot and the lizard fighter pilot shoot eachother down? They both end up stranded on a hostile deserted planet and become the best of friends. Then the lizard gets pregnant.

McGruff said:
What was that 80's movie where the human fighter pilot and the lizard fighter pilot shoot eachother down? They both end up stranded on a hostile deserted planet and become the best of friends. Then the lizard gets pregnant.

That's Enemy Mine .

For those of you that like S:AAB

I found that they do have it on dvd all 24 episodes on 12 dvd's for 95 buck's

The television series "Space: Above and Beyond", created and produced by Glen Morgan and James Wong, chronicled the interplanetary adventures of a Marine squadron battling hostile aliens in the years 2063-2064. Part (anti-)war drama, part science fiction, it examined such themes as courage, loyalty and faith. Through the eyes of the Wild Cards, it explored what we, as humans, live for... and what we would be willing to die for.

"Space" aired on Fox-TV in 1995 and 1996, but - despite critical praise, decent ratings, viewer support, and four Emmy Award nominations - was primarily cancelled due to network politics and rivalries.

here is where i found the dvd set
http://directbuy.easystorecreator.net/store.asp

this is one of my favorate scenes in s:aab
http://www.cyberpursuits.com/heckifiknow/saab/vids/saab43.wmv

Attachments

• saab-splash.jpg
    saab-splash.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 196
Back