Movies With Space Combat

1) The attack on (and inside of) the second Death Star in ROTJ
2) Enterprise destroying the Bird of Prey in Star TreK VI (short, but really satisfying)
3) The trench run from ANH
4) The Battle of Hoth in ESB
5) Fighting the Borg Cube in First Contact

theblackwulf said:
I found that they do have it on dvd all 24 episodes on 12 dvd's for 95 buck's

The fact that it's region 0, has no special features, and isn't mentioned on any of the bajillion SAaB places that like to bitch about how it isn't on DVD makes me believe that's either a bootleg or a scam.

It also isn't listed on TVShowsOnDVD.com as a current or upcoming release.

Ghost said:
IIRC there are some fighters or small ships attacking a Guild ship or frigate in space.
it is a short shot maybe 5 secs.

Don't you mean Emperor: Battle for Dune? The intro for that had some fighters (they look like Gladii)

It has been a LONG time since i've watched Babylon 5... but I remember some pretty dang nice space combat scenes. Not much to speak of in season 1... but seasons 2, 3, and 4 had progressively more and spectacular space battles in many episodes.

But you're right; B5 was on a tight budget, so more often than not you just get some fairly well written bottle shows.

Erm, am I the only one to remember Gerry Anderson's UFO? Well, that was the 70s, guys, where the future looked like a future, where alien women had blue hair and tight bodysuits, and where the hero was allowed exactly two types of facial expressions (frown and smirk). Space battles were great too: Wobbling plastic models on a bluescreen background, with hand-drawn ray gun effects. A classic.

Space 1999 comes to mind too, but they didn't have lots of combat in space - but nice flying scenes (of the above FX kind), and some spectacular ground crashes (polystyrene boulders everywhere).

But don't get me started on the original Flash Gordon from the 30s - I'd more like to mention one more thing that I discovered a couple of years ago over here in Germany: The German television networks produced their own Star Trekky kind of series in the 60's , called Raumpatrouille Orion (Orion Space Patrol) with cool props and some nice FX work. Space combat too, but a bit static . Nonetheless, a great show, even if you don't know German.

I wonder if other countries had their own sixties/seventies sci-fi-miniseries - I suspect Italy (they always had something going for surrealism), and certainly Great Britain; and there must be some hidden coolness in the former Soviet states...

Damn I miss Space: Above and Beyond. Thats a show that had no buisness being cancelled, and yet somehow the outer limits survived for several seasons :'(

criticalmass said:
But don't get me started on the original Flash Gordon from the 30s

They just don't build ships like they used to in the good ol' days, with 4th of July sparklers in the back and all.

Wow, I'm glad I added this thread, there's alot of movies and shows I haven't heard of! Space: Above and Beyond looks interesting if I can find it anywhere. Also, I don't think I've seen Star Trek II, looks like it's worth checking out. I just saw Laserhawk last night. It was a pretty good B movie. It has Mark Hamill. The intro has some very brief space combat, and the ending has a pretty good battle with a dozen or so enemy fighters, a mine field, and a mothership. Of course I forgot to mention Independence Day. There's some action in space (mothership) but most of it features space fighters on earth. It was pretty cool to see how our earth fighters (F-15's I think?) did against shielded alien fighters (I wonder how Confed would've done?).

ck9791 said:
I'm pretty sure they are F/A-18 Hornets.
Agreed.

I could be wrong here, but I'm seem to remember fleetingly seeing what looked like Panavia Tornadoes, amongst the F/A-18's in the melee above Area 51, towards the end of the film -- IIRC, Tornadoes are in use with the RAF and a few other European countries (Italy, Germany and others?).

Cheers,

BrynS

Yeah, the Tornado was buit by those Three Countries.

I can't remember see any Tornado's with the F/A-18's, But there were some Harriers (probably the US Version). There were Tornados in the News reports though

TopGun said:
I like ID-4, but in the movie RAF is using F-16s, but they don't use them

The so called "RAF guys" where talking to some Arabic speaking pilots, plus the so called RAF F-16 were marked with a Blue Star-of-David (Hexagonal star) painted over a white circle.... which probably means they were weren't so "RAF"...

Why were they given a British accent? That only god (and the film makers) whould know...

P.S. The few seconds shot showing the mentioned F-16 seems to have been taken from another movie - "Iron Eagles 2" - where an excetly same shot is being showen when one of the pilots in the movie strolles around the base he was just transported to and stumbles across a hanger housing the mentioned F-16... and a pissed off guard, with a Galil AR...

What do you mean [qoute]so called "RAF Guys"[/quote] they are RAF Pilots, they've got RAF Pilot Wing, Insigina and Ranks. The Plane you're reffering to with the Blue Star-of-David is in fact an F/A-18, the F-16 in Question was parked outside the Tent where the RAF Pilots were looking over the map, and it DID have RAF Insignia on it (you see it behind the pilots).

It's not unusaly that the RAF would have have personnel in the region, we do have bases out there.

Sorry to Correct you HH

Back