$$$ movie

Bandit LOAF said:
FOX claims they won't revisit WC on DVD -- which is a shame, since a high definition print now exists. C'est la vie...

That said, there are copies of the original workprint floating out there -- we'll get our hands on one someday. These things have a way of working out...

Loaf, have you seen the work print? Do you know if it is fully orchestrated? Or was music only done to the final cut?

Murray said:
What the hell was that "submarine vs destroyer" scene? Its space for gods sake, sound doesn't travel in space!

Well, it's based on the WC games, and in the WC games there is sound in space.

I didn't like the fact that they used Navy ranks for the pilots

Loaf, have you seen the work print? Do you know if it is fully orchestrated? Or was music only done to the final cut?

I have not seen it -- but I'm told by people who have that it is *not* fully orchestrated.

Well, it's based on the WC games, and in the WC games there is sound in space.

Eh, go watch the scene again -- there's absolutely nothing about sound in space. They're watching the scanner show an enemy destroyer squadron get nearer... and then when they start to go away, everybody cheers. Then Paladin tells everyone to shut up, because he sees that one of the destroyers is still heading for the 'Claw. There's absolutely no indication anywhere in the scene that sound travels in space. (I'm happy to make fun of some of the movie's physics mistakes... I think there's a video up at the CIC of me doing just that at D*C a few years back... but the radar scene just isn't one of them.)

Makes sense that they would use Navy ranks. They're on a carrier, just like the navy. Pilots stationed on carriers are part of the navy, not any other branch of the service.

Eh said:
I never thought of it that way. I always thought that by the 2600 "radar" had developed so far that it could detect vibrations from Engines, crew, etc on the hull of a ship. THink of those laser beam microphones spies used to (and probably still do) in the 80's. They use vibrations off of glass and convert them into the noise thats in the room. Radar could have evolved that far in say 600 years to where one of the criteria for the radar to register a target is that it would have to be vibrating at some frequency, thanks to the engines especially, the crew commotion (launching fighters, etc), and etc. Anything not vibrating would be dead in space, like the asteroid they were hiding on.
I know it was kindof a WWII submarine movie reference, but it's fun to try and explain it in the WC universe ;).

C-ya

Well... raise your hand if you've ever told someone to shut up (or been told to shut up).

Okay, that's what... everybody?

Now raise your hand the reason you were told to shut up was because enemy submarines were going to hear you.

Nobody?

Well Viper's explanation takes care of the fact that you hear your guns hitting enemies as well as missiles and the explosions.

The Rapier looks like an early WWII fighter with jets at the back and missiles on the wings.

I think otherwise. The WC Movie fighter designs appeal to me more than the WC game models because they seemed to be more realistic.... The Rotating chain gun thing at the front was a very nice touch. :)I have to agree on the submarine cap ship look though. The interior of it (the bridge) was not as cool looking. The landing bay design was ok.

For a WC MMOG realisim "has" to be a factor because it is needed to balance out the massive amount of players and their interactions. You cant have WC1-WC4 (&Prophecy) style of fighting (flight engine) in an mmog that would be crazy.

Iceblade said:
Well Viper's explanation takes care of the fact that you hear your guns hitting enemies as well as missiles and the explosions.
Without making any comments as to whether or not I like his explanation, I will say that if I were designing a craft to be used for space combat, I would definitely try to incorporate some sort of positional audio system, even if it were just a system of beeps and stuff, simply to take a load off the other senses.

Although now that I think about it, I doubt folks in atmospheric fighters really hear much more than their own vehicle anyway, so perhaps it's not that important.

Bandit LOAF said:
Now raise your hand the reason you were told to shut up was because enemy submarines were going to hear you.

Nobody?

Ok, now raise your hand's if you've ever been on a submarine.

Not many?

Well how about those who have been on a submarine when there was another sub trying to find you.

Nobody?

Anyone seen "The Hunt for Red October"? While I admit that it's just a movie and not real life, when the Red October switches to it's silent engines (Catipillars or something), the crews singing is heard by a shadowing sub. Wouldn't this lend credibility to Viper61's explanation?

Bugrof PizzAnt said:
Wouldn't this lend credibility to Viper61's explanation?
No, because in the movie, they were trying to avoid being detected by passive sonar, which does not function in a vacuum.

Ok, now raise your hand's if you've ever been on a submarine.

Not many?

Well how about those who have been on a submarine when there was another sub trying to find you.

Nobody?

Anyone seen "The Hunt for Red October"? While I admit that it's just a movie and not real life, when the Red October switches to it's silent engines (Catipillars or something), the crews singing is heard by a shadowing sub. Wouldn't this lend credibility to Viper61's explanation?

That doesn't really have anything to do with the WC movie, though. The issue is that people have been claming for years now that the movie is bad because it claims that there's 'sound in space'. The point of this discusion (and my post) is that it does not claim that.

(Incidentally, there's at least one ex-submariner who poste to the CZ...)

Back