$$$ movie

Hmm, some of those are odd complaints -- because they're not things that actually contradict. What source says there's no Pilgrims? The universe is full of crazy religions... we see almost none of them in Wing Commander. And Maniac *never* having a girlfriend? Says who? Wouldn't it be rather odd for someone like him to never, ever date?

Taggart was a pilot-veteran-he joined intel shortly before WC3.

Did you play Wing 2? He was an operative throughout -- and he constantly referred to missions he'd been working on around the time of Wing 1 (helping cause the Kilrathi on Ghorah Khar to revolt and such).

You cannot launch multiple torps at once.

Depends on the game -- you can salvo torpedoes in several Wing Commander games.

The Rapier looks like an early WWII fighter with jets at the back and missiles on the wings.

Different fighter. Rapier I versus Rapier II.

Well Blair was never picked on by anybody for being a pilgrim so that is wrong and the pilgrims they are talking about is something that should of come up in the game-you would think. Manaic never had a girlfriend in WC1 and he isn't the type of character who ever gets a date, he always gets 'shoot down'. In WC1 Taggart was never mentioned as an intel officer. By the way, anybody know where I can the whole and completely truthful story to WC1 and WC2? (I know there is some story from priv. somewhere.)

Iceblade said:
Well Blair was never picked on by anybody for being a pilgrim so that is wrong and the pilgrims they are talking about is something that should of come up in the game-you would think. Manaic never had a girlfriend in WC1 and he isn't the type of character who ever gets a date, he always gets 'shoot down'. In WC1 Taggart was never mentioned as an intel officer. By the way, anybody know where I can the whole and completely truthful story to WC1 and WC2? (I know there is some story from priv. somewhere.)

do u really think a movie studio would pickup WC and make a film without changing minor details to make it plausable?
changing minor character atributes is nothing new to movies based on games/novels.
while ur at it, why not point out that they just made up characters too. ie, there was no Ex.O. in the original WC....

Happy said:
do u really think a movie studio would pickup WC and make a film without changing minor details to make it plausable?
changing minor character atributes is nothing new to movies based on games/novels.
while ur at it, why not point out that they just made up characters too. ie, there was no Ex.O. in the original WC....

The one change I didn't care for was that Bossman was dead from the get-go and we don't see Iceman (I cant remember if they said he died too or what. I guess I need to watch my copy again).

What they should of done was use different names and a different story based on historical info. from books and games.

They could of, but they could of still changed alot of it. The only way I can see them doing it without huge change is if they made up a scenario based on a section of the WC timeline.

Iceblade said:
Well Blair was never picked on by anybody for being a pilgrim so that is wrong and the pilgrims they are talking about is something that should of come up in the game-you would think. Manaic never had a girlfriend in WC1 and he isn't the type of character who ever gets a date, he always gets 'shoot down'. In WC1 Taggart was never mentioned as an intel officer.

Every one of your complaints is "They didn't show this in the games, so it's wrong that we see it in the movie." Of course they show us new things about all the characters in the movie. Every one of the things you list is perfectly plausible for each character. Blair was never picked on? Christ on a pony, he went from the Hero of Vega to Coward of K'tithrak Mang in no time. Pilgrim racism causes WC2 to make more sense now. Maniac was married twice. He was not always "shot down." And LOAF already pointed out how multiple sources have shown how Taggart was an intel officer during the WC1 timeframe.

Hrmm... a bunch of people in this thread seem to be thinking that it's supposed to be the story that happens in Wing Commander 1, or something... It's slightly before the first game, and a different series of events entirely...

Well, that would of been nice to know. That changes all of my complaints. Was the fact that the movie was before WC1 mentioned in any previous threads?

Iceblade said:
Well, that would of been nice to know. That changes all of my complaints. Was the fact that the movie was before WC1 mentioned in any previous threads?

Yes it was

ChrisReid said:
Every one of your complaints is "They didn't show this in the games, so it's wrong that we see it in the movie." .

I'm not saying its wrong or complaining. As I said before they would make changes to it regardless whenever it took place, eather a direct chapter of the overall series plot or whatnot. Also as you meantioned I thought too that some of the changes they made fit with the game series and timeline more. As the Pilgrim racism and WC2.

And eatherway you look at it, they could of done somthing that would of totally disapointed us....optimism.

I always read posts like this and wonder people are always so amazed that a story was changed a little (or a lot) from its source material. It always happens that way. When XMen came out there were a bunch of people who said things like "oh, it's not that way in the comics so it sucks." "Oh, that's not how Spiderman is supposed to be." "Tomb raider was terrible, it's nothing like the games." Seriously, what do people expect? It's the exact same way whe turning a novel into a movie. Things get changed. Some things work better on one medium than they do on another. Simple fact. Another thing is if it wasn't changed, only the hardcore fans would go see it. From the standpoint of a film studio, that's not good. They want their movies to appeal to a broad range of people. As it was, they changed things for the movie and still only the hardcore fans saw it. Movie didn't too well did it? No. Another thing for you guys, it's called science FICTION. Don't nitpick about things that aren't possible. It's just a movie. There's a lot of things in a lot of movies that aren't possible. So what? Whether it's truly possible for a man from Krypton to get power from Earth's yellow sun doesn't matter. Superman will still save the day. Also, if Roberts changes something (regardless if someone else told him to) then that makes it part of the story for me. If you just want to say that "oh, he can't change that, it's not the same" then why would care about what happens in WC2 since it goes against some of what you saw in WC1?

Guess what I'm trying to say is, just stop complaining and enjoy the movie for what it is. I went to go see it with my GF and, having no previous knowledge of what WC was, she enjoyed it.

After reading the old threads, I am quite a bit enlightend about most of my doubts/questions. Like, I was thinking the movie was about the WC1 times, however it was before that era; why the fighters don't have shields could be related to capital ships having meson shields rather than phase shileds (someone mentioned that, I am not sure its true or not, but i am satisfied with the answer), so there might be no technology for fighter shields etc.

Afterwards, my only complain would be bad acting. Especially from the guy who plays Blair, and the girl who plays Angel (you might think otherwise, I would respect that). And I was not expecting a movie that is so similar to WW2 movies. Isn't the Tigers Claw a huge space carrier? Why on earth are still crewman loading the torpedos? As if the carrier is an U-Boat? Even with todays technology, the torpedos are loaded automatically. The timeline of the movie is 2600+. I mean, I just don't buy it, sorry :rolleyes:

Back