Movie Action Figures and Fighters

The thing is that, by then, ship design is much different. The only rounded WC ship I can think of is an Epee, and it's not even really rounded. The movie rapier just doesn't look like a WC fighter.

For a short time, I had plans to go to flight school and FLY an A-10 in the Airforce, but it was going to require more school than I was willing to go to. So, like anyone who's just left the military mindset, I started a band. Perfect transition. (Yes, I realize the analogy is faulty. Shut it)

On a different note, I'm taking a class dealing with reading and drafting blueprints. My college also has machines that can craft any design you blueprint . . they're meant to make parts for appliances or automobiles, but I'm thinking I might be able to get a model made of a WC fighter, if I can draft the blueprints correctly. If anyone is interested, give me the suggestions for what craft(s) you'd like to see. Anything except the MR. I'll not be caught (even dead) modeling that hideous thing.

Viper61 said:
You just described how most of the flying vehicles of today look too and I don't think I'd call our fighting aircraft of today shitbirds. It also appears that the Rapier from the movie was built around its gatling neutron gun, same as the A-10 and its 30mm Gatling gun. I actually think it looks like a miniature version of the our Thud'. For a little comparison...
Yup, even the ugliest current birds (A10 = Warthog) are beauties compared to the WCM Rapier.

On a related note, RE: the attached pics:
Dude, there is NO comparison; Warthog RULES c/t the WCM Rapier. Ugh.
That bird fell outta the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down...

Preacher said:
Dude, there is NO comparison; Warthog RULES c/t the WCM Rapier. Ugh.
That bird fell outta the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down...
Eh, I was going for similar design philosophies . . . probably built around that huge freakin gun on the nose, "stubby" type wings (not swept), external engines posisitoned above the tail of the craft, etc. Hell the cockpit position, structure, etc even reminds me of an A-10. Anyway, just my opinion.

C-ya

That's becase the A-10 kicks serious butt! the WCM Rapier would blow apart faster than the Death Star caught in a breeze.

I think I still have the documentary on the aircraft used during the first gulf war. It talked about the F-14, F-16, F/A-18, A-10, and a few others, including our stealth craft. I remember being particularly impressed with the Thunderbolt because
1) in WC3 you can fly a decendant of it
2) it handles more like a WW2 craft
3) it's hard as hell to shoot down
4) it packs a sunday punch that'll skin a mule
5) you don't hear it coming, but ya DAMN sure know it's been there once it's gone!

overmortal said:
1) in WC3 you can fly a decendant of it
2) it handles more like a WW2 craft
3) it's hard as hell to shoot down
4) it packs a sunday punch that'll skin a mule
5) you don't hear it coming, but ya DAMN sure know it's been there once it's gone!
1) gun-heavy, slow as hell, armored like a battleship, definite similarities
2) Not such a great thing in modern warfare, but when you are trying to hit something on the ground thats relatively stationary compared to you, not a bad trait
3) Most every system has at least one backup and the armor is so thick the two turbofans barely get this thing up to 600mph.
4) 30mm Vulcan gun that can spew out 6000 rpm (IIRC) of 3lb apiece depleted uranium shells that actually slow the aircraft down by over a hundred mph when fired? Skin a mule heh?
5) I don't know about not hearing it coming but the positioning of the eninges allow it a certain amount of protection from ground fired infrared missiles.
(Alot of us did very thorough reports on the aircraft used in Desert Storm while in HS, mines 30 pages long if you want it- wow I wrote that report on MSWorks in Windows 3.1, I can't believe Word opens it) Thanks for your insights BTW ;)

C-ya

Viper61 said:
It also appears that the Rapier from the movie was built around its gatling neutron gun, same as the A-10 and its 30mm Gatling gun. I actually think it looks like a miniature version of the our Thud'. For a little comparison . . .

C-ya

Gatling neutron gun, eh? I always assumed it was a Stormfire.
I think the movie rapier looks like a Lightning ;).

The Iraqis called the A-10 the "Silent Gun". At least, I think that's what they called it. Because of its design, it came in making almost no noise, but on its exit vector, it sounded like hell's wrath . . which worked well with the amount of damage that gun would do.

Being slow isn't neccessarily a bad thing. Damn tomcats keep overshooting you? Oops. Give 'em a few depleted uranium shells in the back pocket as a consolation prize. ( Yes, I realize that an A-10 wouldn't be going up against an F-14. Just an analogy).

Redundant systems . . what an idea. WC needed this. "Uh oh . . my shields are out! ::boom::" compared to "Uh oh . . my shields are out . . . and now they aren't"

in response to the whole models thing, maybe someone could make paper models of some of the ships from wc

Viper61 said:
You just described how most of the flying vehicles of today look too and I don't think I'd call our fighting aircraft of today shitbirds. It also appears that the Rapier from the movie was built around its gatling neutron gun, same as the A-10 and its 30mm Gatling gun. I actually think it looks like a miniature version of the our Thud'. For a little comparison . . .

C-ya
IMHO it looks way more like the german "Natter" from ww2...
ba349-1.jpg
Ba349-6.jpg

Did anyone ever use Legos as a kid to build WC ships? I made a Tiger's Claw once out of Legos, but it lost structural integrity and ended up looking like an omelette.

I tried to make the Concordia a couple times . . . neither of them looked like it at all. I made my own version of a Rapier once (when I was like 13) and then 'armored' it with a few layers of aluminum foil. I'd added an extra laser, though, and changed the missile loadout. It sucked.

AdmiralHuang said:
Did anyone ever use Legos as a kid to build WC ships? I made a Tiger's Claw once out of Legos, but it lost structural integrity and ended up looking like an omelette.

Ive made a Tiger's Claw outa lego. Ive still got it somewhere... When i get home, ill take a pic of it. Mines less than a foot long, but i think it has the general shape of the good old Claw. :)

Back