Mortal Kombat fatalities

Shooter said:
Phillip Tanaka said:
Just on that, they made a Street Fighter game based on the movie. QUOTE]

The other way arround, the movie was inspired in the game.

Yes. The movie was based on the game - and then they made a game of the film

(Mostly changing the graphics so they matched the look of the film if I remember correctly)
:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's right. Think how Wing Commander was turned into a movie, and then they made a game where you played as Freddie Prince and you were bossed around by Saffron Burrows.

And LOAF, you're right about the Mortal Kombat games being, for the most part, over the top and silly, not to mention fake, but you should have seen some of the fuss that was kicked up over the game especially when it was first made. I remember there was a bit about Sub Zero's fatality where he rips their opponant's head off and help it up with the spinal cord still attached. They had to change it to something much tamer, and years later where you would have Kano rip the flesh from the skeleton of his opponant, thry wouldn't show the head ripping thing. And on top of that, there were a bunch of media concern over the game, as if people would play the game and then try some ripping heart out fatality. I have some articles somewhere in some magazines. Give the word and I'll find them and transcribe them here.

Phillip Tanaka said:
I remember there was a bit about Sub Zero's fatality where he rips their opponant's head off and help it up with the spinal cord still attached. They had to change it to something much tamer.
I'm sure that was in the first Mortal Kombat, because it was my favorite fatality. They might have removed it for a Gamecube version or such, since those are targetted at 8-year-olds. (But I'm sure most 8-year-olds would think that's an awesome move, at least the ones who don't grow up to be girlymen)

Phillip Tanaka said:
And on top of that, there were a bunch of media concern over the game, as if people would play the game and then try some ripping heart out fatality.
I always do that to someone after watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

You know what I thought was over the top? Those Babalities and Friendships in MK3. Those were the pits.

dextorboot said:
Dude, Kano's fatality was awesome.

Which one? The skeleton rip? I was thinking Sheeva, Kano has a similar fatality. When discussing cool fatalities, I liked Scorpion's hand from hell. And Mileena's move where she eats you. Or Tanya's where she breaks your neck in the coolest way. None of the ones where you turn into an animal did anything for me, but I did get a kick out of Kitana turning into a rabbit and mauling her opponant in the balls. Hmmm, will need to think back for what other ones are good.

KrisV said:
You know what I thought was over the top? Those Babalities and Friendships in MK3. Those were the pits.

Yes. Yes. All the other moves you could do (turning your opponant into a baby?) sucked, and added to how the game was just silly.

Phillip Tanaka said:
Which one? The skeleton rip?

I was thinking about the one from MK1. Seeing that beating heart in his hand always made me smile. :D

And up until Deadly Alliance I always liked Scorpions fatalities. It's always nice to have a pit to drop someone into. Was it 2 or 3 that you could uppercut the guy onto the ceiling with spikes and then make him slide down? That was classic.

Animalities and babalities suck.

Here are all the stage fatalities I remember.

In Mortal Kombat 1, on The Pit (the bridge) you can uppercut someone after defeating them and they fall onto the spikes below. On the Super Nintendo version this was sanitised and all the blood and bodies had been cleaned up. I think they are diffirent in Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

In Mortal Kombat 2, there are three fatalities you can perform. On the Deal Pool, you can knock your opponant into the acid after defeating them by holding low punch and low kick when doing an uppercut. You see them fall in and their skeleton will be seen floating a moment later. Keep holding the buttons and soneone will go "oh". On the Tomb stage, you can uppercut your opponant into the spikes. Each character has a combination to do this. On The Pit II the same combination will knock them off. I think they just fall to the bottom.

In Mortal Kombat 3, there are three stages where a specific combination will perform a fatality. On the Subway, your opponant is knocked onto another railway, where a train runs them down. On Khan's Tower, your opponant is sent through the floor and they fall down, breaking through the floorboards, until they are impaled on spikes, On The Pit 3, your opponant is knocked off and blades made out of bone tear them apart.

I think there is a cheat in Ultimate Mortal Kombat where you knock your opponant into the green glowing thing in the Soul Chamber, which unlocks secret characters including one named Pedro.

In Mortal Kombat 4, there's a stage with a fan that you can knock your opponant into, slicing them up. Also, the continue screen has your character falling. Don't continue and they are imapled on spikes, ala The Pit.

I think there should be a Vasudan character in MK just because the fatality would be so cool. The Vasudan would chop his opponent's head off and throw it into a box like in the "Headz" video.

KrisV said:
I'm sure that was in the first Mortal Kombat, because it was my favorite fatality. They might have removed it for a Gamecube version or such, since those are targetted at 8-year-olds. . .
yeah the Genesis version of the original Mortal Kombat had Subzero ripping his opponents head off, while the *clean* SNES version only allowed you to freeze the guy and uppercut him into a couple hundred pieces. I only played the 1st one but I always enjoyed Scorpions "pull the mask off and turn you into ash and bones with flame breath" one. ;)

C-ya

The PC version of MK1 around here at least didn't have any blood or fatalities at all. Both had to be activated by a cheat/eastertegg

I'm glad we're past all of that stupid junk. I still remember the days when Nintendo wouldn't allow cursing in their games. I actually kinda wished they'd stayed with that. It was kinda neat.

Thanks to Nintendo's weirdness in the early nineties, the Scimitar squadron was the "Blue Angels" rather than the "Blue Devils" in Wing Commander...

... harder to understand, though, is that they had to change Knights home from "Kroonsdad, South Africa" to "Lubango, Angola".

Yah . . . Nintendo has had some rather odd hangups in the past. They also left out that animation (I believe) of Shotglass pouring himself a drink, looking around, and then drinking it.

They also took out a line about "You nod attentively as you sip your drink". Leave it to a video game company to have problems with showing kids the use of alcohol.

They also got rid of Ian's cigar.

Bandit LOAF said:
... harder to understand, though, is that they had to change Knights home from "Kroonsdad, South Africa" to "Lubango, Angola".
They might have been concerned about the political implications of having a black guy from South Africa. The apartheid system was still in place back then, so Knight's presence amounted to an anti-apartheid message. Knowing Nintedo, they probably had some kind of rules about their games being politically neutral.

overmortal said:
Yah . . . Nintendo has had some rather odd hangups in the past. They also left out that animation (I believe) of Shotglass pouring himself a drink, looking around, and then drinking it.

What animation was that? I dont remember it...

I recently bought a bunch of old comics. I was pleasantly surprised when I started reading all the advertisements in them. There's one for the WC1 port to SNES. My favorite though is the Genesis one that reads "Leading the 16 bit revolution."

Benjamin said:
What animation was that? I dont remember it...

If you sit in the rec room (or, as I like to call it, the 'booze cruise'), you'll notice that, every little bit, Shotglass will do something . . he'll either wipe the bar, or start talking (like he's talking to you, even though you aren't near him) or looking around. If you watch long enough, he'll mix a drink, pour it into a glass, look around, and drink it.

And there you have it! Sam's dirtly little secret! Sneaking government booze!

Back