Mortal Kombat fatalities

Phillip Tanaka

Swabbie
Banned
In the Mortal Kombat games, I was wondering if there was any fatality that you considered a bit much, a little too gruesome. If so, which ones? Also, if there was a clone (such as No Mercy or War Gods) where you thought they went a little too far, put it down here too. For me, well, I have my moods, and a couple of the more outrageous ones were Sonya's in Mortal Kombat 3 where she uses some purple electricity on you, and some of the blood and guts were smeared on the ground. And the pit fatality where you knock them off the bridge into bone blades.

Yeah. I can understand. Like I said, I have my moods, and at times I find it too much. Though there are some games out there, No Mercy I think is one of them, that are worse. Another one that was a little rough was fighting at the Pit bottom, among all the dead warriors. Or the soul chamber in Deadly Alliance, with all the souls screaming everywhere. Not to say I couldn't handle it, but they strike out from the rest.

What I'd like to see is a Mortal Kombat-type game that uses historical characters. So Genghis Khan could fight Abraham Lincoln, Adolf Hitler the Ayatollah Khomeini, and Alexander the Great fight Gandhi. The fatalities would be specifically tuned to each combatent, so Constantine would summon a cross in the sky to smite his opponent with a beam of light, and Moses would turn his enemy into a snake, then hit him with a column of fire that would be put out by the Red Sea falling from the sky. Stuff like that.

Bob McDob said:
What I'd like to see is a Mortal Kombat-type game that uses historical characters. So Genghis Khan could fight Abraham Lincoln, Adolf Hitler the Ayatollah Khomeini, and Alexander the Great fight Gandhi. The fatalities would be specifically tuned to each combatent, so Constantine would summon a cross in the sky to smite his opponent with a beam of light, and Moses would turn his enemy into a snake, then hit him with a column of fire that would be put out by the Red Sea falling from the sky. Stuff like that.

That sounds like celebrity deathmatch on MTV.

I liked that show. What happened to it?

And regarding MK, I never found any of it "over the top", any more so than the whole prospect of Mortal Kombat is "over the top." It's suppossed to be stupid and gruesome. And looking back on them now (even Deadly Alliance), the fatalities are pretty tame.

They just sorta stopped making celebrity deathmatch. They'll probably make a few more though since the game is coming out for PS2 and XBOX soon.

Maybe put your own celeb in there. CD wouldn't put in, say, Binladen or Saddam, but it would be cool if you could put them into the game.

That celebrity fighting game WAS done. I remember having played such a thing about 10 years ago on an Ammiga I think. 8 combatants. I think the pope was one, Thatcher, Saddam. Can't remember the title tho...

Just on that, they made a Street Fighter game based on the movie. If playing as jean Claude Van Dame, Raul Julia, Kylie Minogue, et al appeals, there's that. I played it, and it's not half bad.

I spent most of the nineties playing Privateer, but if-I-recall-correctly 'gore' in Mortal Kombat was just over-hyped stupidity... the "blood" that everyone ranted about looked pretty darned fake.

Also, how did we not pick up on the fact that these games made no sense? There were six thousand games where you fought some other weirdly dressed *IN TWO DIMENSIONS*. How could we possibly think that that made sense?

Fighting games aren't about story or making sense. They're about multiplayer goodness. And most video games don't make sense. Think about it. A plumber and his brother saving a place called the Mushroom Kingdom from a giant dragon/turtle. A blue hedgehog running at super fast speeds along with some thing with two tales that can use them to fly.

And yeah, the blood looked fake but that's what made it good. Pools of blood that couldn't have possibly come out of one person. Excellence.

Back