Morningstar==>Stilleto

chanman

Spaceman
Am I the only one that finds these two ships look rather closely related? Is there a fluff reason? Did the they use the same aerdynamics data (like the MiG-29 and Su-27), or is it just 'one of those things'?

I have the old Sybex Wing Commander Universe guide, and with the exception of shields and armour (which seemed to get recalibrated with each game), the Stiletto's stats look like the amalgamation of the Ferret and the Epee (don't remember fighting them in-game though)

The original poster has a good point -- the Sybex guide might be where people are getting this comparison.

Mr. Minasi's book was unofficial, and he made up the extraneous data for his ship specifications... he probably used known data on the Morningstar for the Stiletto because the ships look similar. There's no actual canon length/mass/etc. for the Stiletto.

One thing I noticed is that the armament and speed of the Stiletto is the same as that of the Super Ferret (WC2 Special Ops).

Mass drivers are nowhere near as good in Privateer, though.

well, I also didn't want to reanimate an old thread :D

A lot of people in the other thread pointed out that in comparison to a WW2 fighter, the F-16 and F/A-18 would look similar, but comparing to planes of the same generation, you'd find certain similarities due to other reasons

the MiG-29 and Su-27 used the same aerodynamics data, hence the similar profiles

the F/A-18 is a heavier, carrier borne development of the YF-17 that lost to the F-16 in the light fighter competition in the 1970's, and so on

I didn't post the link tot he other thread to squish this one, but mostly so you could see what had already been said. Apologies if I did it rather snidely.

I always found them similar myself, though that is really only in contrast to the large differences between them and other WC fighters.

Chernikov said:
weapons in general seemed to be nowhere near as good in Privateer...

I think weapons had a lot more personality to them in Privateer. It had quite a few different guns, and each one has something distinct about it. In most space sims, there are minor changes in color and power, and that's pretty much it. All of Priv's many guns were unique. And I think the Priv Tachyons and Fusion Cannons are some of the most effective relative to their game in all of Wing Commander.

ChrisReid said:
I think weapons had a lot more personality to them in Privateer. It had quite a few different guns, and each one has something distinct about it. In most space sims, there are minor changes in color and power, and that's pretty much it. All of Priv's many guns were unique. And I think the Priv Tachyons and Fusion Cannons are some of the most effective relative to their game in all of Wing Commander.

Truth, the ability to customize your gear was great, and as for personality you have it dead on. I think my gripe with those weapons in general was travel time - it seemed exceedingly difficult to connect even compared to the first two Wing Commanders, resulting in a frustration level matched only by Standoff and the Privateer Remake.

On the other hand, WHEN you connect to a Talon with quad tachyon guns... no more argument.

I always liked the Neutron gun for a cheap weapon. Guess they all had a place with someone.
Chernikov said:
I think my gripe with those weapons in general was travel time - it seemed exceedingly difficult to connect even compared to the first two Wing Commanders, resulting in a frustration level matched only by Standoff and the Privateer Remake.
At least we're accurate? :D

MamiyaOtaru said:
I didn't post the link tot he other thread to squish this one, but mostly so you could see what had already been said. Apologies if I did it rather snidely.

I always found them similar myself, though that is really only in contrast to the large differences between them and other WC fighters.

nono, it happens, some forums I've been on, new posters start new topics that have had 7 or 8 previous discussions, or have one huge conclusice, 20 page thread that's 3 years old, so they don't want to add to it

changing track a bit, I wonder why they ever bother assigning you a broadsword for in-system strike missions when they can torp-load the sabre like that

chanman said:
changing track a bit, I wonder why they ever bother assigning you a broadsword for in-system strike missions when they can torp-load the sabre like that

Well, it comes at the expense of regular missiles for the Sabre. Ideally you'd want a fully functional Sabre guarding a torp-loaded Broadsword to do a proper strike.

Chernikov said:
Truth, the ability to customize your gear was great, and as for personality you have it dead on. I think my gripe with those weapons in general was travel time - it seemed exceedingly difficult to connect even compared to the first two Wing Commanders,

The shots were slow, but I think the engine itself was just less fast-paced than the Vision engine or other WC games. I find leading targets a lot easier in Privateer than WC3-Secret Ops.

I agree chris, although that might have to do with the fact that until you can afford a scanner with ITTS you have to learn to lead well

Back