Minesweepers

Wow guys.... wow.

I have a post that I should refer you to in the Standoff forum - it's copied below. It's in reference to someone suprised I was 16 (17 in 2 days):

"Yea - I think a lot of people have that impression. First of all - I write music. Not many people my age write music - and if they do, it's usually like - rock band stuff. And not to put it down, but usually kid rockband's think about how it sounds, and not the actual notes and in the composition - songwriting vs. composing.... that sorta stuff. Secondly, I act my age. Lots of 16 year olds act like 7 year olds. I won't say I'm mature for my age - I just am my age unlike lots of people around me."

Age really doesn't have anything to do with anything, in my opinion. In terms of abilities, or maturity, or anything - it's specific to the person. I find it somewhat rude when people discriminate based on age - cause basically, that's what was going on. Give us all a chance, and I think you'll find there's more mature ones out there than you realize. We may not be the norm, but there are quite a few of us.

Also, one time someone told me that fighting over who's more mature shows only your immaturity. I dunno... it was a good lesson for me, so I figured I'd share it.

IIRC, maces clear out minefields nicely in WC2/Academy. :) And it makes sense too, given that they're nuclear warheads - I expect they'd set of a nice chain reaction which would clear a path for capital ships.

But the only reference I can recall about minesweepers in WC was the third mission in Ghorah Khar in WC2.

Where were the minesweepers during WC1? When the game first came out I kept dying while trying to fly through those pesky Kilrathi minefields.

Really? It's easy to fly through them, just hit the afterburners once the fighters are cleared out. The only problem I had with mines was recovering the data pod in SO1 at the edge of a minefield.

Probably. It's just an observation. I suppose if a minefield needed to be cleared very quickly, a carrier could send a Morningstar or some other fighter with a Mace to take care of it.

Maybe an anti-matter warhead might be feasible. It's a way to clear out a large area of mines.

Another might be to use an EMP warhead, or something like a leech gun.

Probably. It's just an observation. I suppose if a minefield needed to be cleared very quickly, a carrier could send a Morningstar or some other fighter with a Mace to take care of it.

That would usually be in wartime only, so I think they might just send a couple modified transports to do the job.

I assume that's what's normally done. I suggested that, only if the mines needed to be cleared quickly.

Dammit . . I wanted to delete this post, but, in the thirty seconds I've dedicated to it, I don't see how you do it.

Long range Laser guns on a modified transport or corvette would be my guess.

Everything else is just too expensive.

If expense is a problem, then the only choice would be to move around the navigational hazard. IIRC, that's the primary reason for deploying mine-fields - to block or en-trap the enemy. Of course, this is much easier in 2-D waters than in the three dimensions of space. Nevertheless, mining jump points is clearly very effective.

So if a mine-field required clearing, it's because there is some need for it, therefore it seems reasonable to me that whoever ordered the mine-sweeping is prepared to spend a little.

Well, the only minesweepers that we ever actually see are plain old Clydesdale transports. They're armed with flak guns, which should work much better against mines than lasers would. Projectiles that explode at a pre-set range seem like just the thing against minefields.

Back