Minesweepers

psych

Destroyer of assclowns
Hi people,

Do you know how WC minesweepers work? Do they use TOBY drones? Shoot mines with laser cannons? Use some special equipment to detonate mines with a type of radio controlled frequency?

All intelligent responces are welcome. 13-year old newbies who only have been registered for a day yet have over 50+ posts need not answer.

Perhaps they were some sort of proximity-detonated mines. The only ones I can really recall are the minefields in wc1... but your fighters could slip past them. Maybe they were designed solely to prevent capship operations in a certain area?

Who knows, the Claw Marks history says that Minefields were used in the Battle of McAullife to prevent the Kilrathi from jumping in.

Well, weren't transports used as minesweepers (especially Clydesdales)? The only thing we can do (if someone doesn;t have a source explaining how) is extrapolate from how mines are cleared from battlefields today. If I'm not mistaken the current method is to do use this whole "rotor garden tiller" type attachment to a Bradley fighting vehicle to set off mines. You could do the same thing with a transport and its shields. Specially rig a transport with multiple sheild emitters towards the front that allow them to be 'extended' beyond the normal shields, setting off the mines before they make contact with the ships normal shields.
Though personally, I like the idea of a slow moving craft with multiple laser turrets controlled by an extremely precise computer targetting system that takes out mines.
Another idea might be to set off a large explosive device in an area of a mine field to explode all the mines in that area (maybe like a less powerful mace type weapon).
Anyway, just some ideas. I can only speculate, which any fanboy can do, and anyone who wants an answer to this question has to do unless there actually is a canon answer. :)

C-ya

Perhaps they use advanced tractor beams to run them into each other. I dunno.

I personally think they'd have a ship that sends out a widely distributed detonation frequency or some such nonsense. Or, maybe they stood on the hull with a bag of rocks and chucked them at mines as they flew through.

Neutron guns have very small range. If you want to fire at mines, you want to be as far away as possible, it's just common sense.

Well another current day method uses a rocket fired across the minefield, towing a line. Grenades are strung along the that disperse into the field and set off the mines when they explode. Something similar might be used in WC, although the grenades would have to be propelled away from the line since your in space.
A laser would work just fine for setting off a mine but it would be terribly inefficient, even in large clusters, for a field.
Personally I would build a heavily armored ship with a directed EMP gun to fry the mine circuits and a tractor beam system to clear the dead mines out of the way, or possibly stow them in a hold for use against their creators. :)

psych said:
Neutron guns have very small range. If you want to fire at mines, you want to be as far away as possible, it's just common sense.

You obviously didn't pick up the sarcasm there...

Maybe you think it is all cool with your sarcasm and being a smartass, but please remember that I had asked for intelligent questions for a question I did not know. I had already said upfront that I welcome intelligent and thoughful posts. If you had bothered to check my profile, or search for my previous posts, you might notice that (other then the posts where I try to set newbies straight) I know a considerable amount of WC. Not as much as LOAF and the other guys, but enough to hold my own.

That coupled with my education (on my profile) should give you a clue that I am well versed in aeronautical dynamics, various space and aircraft flight dynamics, materials manufacturing, and the theoretical concept of operations, that could be applied to WC if I wanted to (granted that WC is a fictional universe).

When I see your post, I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were serious in posting it, inspite of my reservations of your immaturity that was already evident through your profile age (I check the profile of every one who responded). But the fact that you smart-alec revealed your intentions just confirmed what I had thought.

I noticed that there has been an upsurge of newbie/idiot/morons running around making a fool of themselves. It must be summer vacation before middle school starts up again. Iceblade and Sylvester are two I can name off the top of my head, now I can add you to my list.

Please don't waste any more of my time.

I will acknowledge the fact that there are several squared away people who are still in their teens that visit this board, as well as real life. But the sad truth is that this is the exception, rather then the norm.

I can't tell you what to post or not to post. That's up to you. You control your fate (and reputation) on this board.

I must say, for a 23 year old who likes putting newbies in what he believes to be their place, you're pretty immature yourself. Checking people's profiles? "He's 18! He's allowed to use Sarcasm! Him? Naw, he's only 15, sheep like the rest!". Seriously, if you nee to prey on people younger than yourself to fuel that ego of yours, that's pretty sad. And your education? I could really care less. Just because you have good study skills and know how to listen/take notes in a lecture doesn't make you any better than, well, anyone. And last I checked, knowledge of a sci-fi universe does not set you a class above anyone else, either.

And since everyone seemed to be shooting off random weapons, I figured I'd add a Neutron Gun just as a little sort of a joke, but obviously, your "LEETZOR" mind couldn't comprehend that. My bad, I'll keep that in mind next time. Seriously, you've been acting like a child yourself, although, I refer back to my comment about your ego a paragraph up.

You want a more serious answer on what a minesweeper would use to destroy a mine? Fine, but other people had plenty of intelligent responses already. It would be likely in my opinion to use lasers to destroy the little buggers. Turreted Versions have ranges up around 8000 IIRC. With only a couple turrets an entire minefield, depending on size, could be cleared swiftly.

Also, in the words of Robin Peters, "Stop beating your chest, you're going to bruise it."

Ok, one more post then I'm out.

You may have noticed that my registration is only May 2003. But I have been part of the WC fan community since 1996. It is only recently that I have registered on the CIC board. And the sad fact is that on all of the other WC forums that I have been in, 90% of teenagers act well . . . like teenagers. You are no different, the majority of people who come up here are no different, and I will admit that I sometimes acted like one too back when, when I was 16. I've seen countless . . . countless . . . people of your kind come in and do the same thing over and over again. You guys are not the first, nor will you be the last.

One way you people can become part of the solution and not part of the problem is this: show some respect for the guys on this board who have been here long then you are. Whether its a CIC staff member, CZ admin, or one of the non CIC staff/CZ moderators with custom ranks. The FAQ for this chat zone specifically says that the guys with custom ranks are allowed it because of something they have done that contribute to the WC fan community. These guys are in effect, Been There Done That.

And I'm not one of those net junkies who spend their times stroking their white cats going "haha! a new newbie to ream to fuel my ego!". Please recognize that I, like all recent college graduates, have a lot of more pressing stuff to undertake. I have something . . . different planned ahead that only a few of the CZ staff know about. Rest assured that trying to set newbies in their place in some virtual CZ with people I'll never meet in real life is the least of my worries. This is just my free time.

The bottom line is that: give some respect to us, and we'll give it back to you.

Out.

PS, good observation on your minefield, finally...

Dammerung said:
And since everyone seemed to be shooting off random weapons, I figured I'd add a Neutron Gun just as a little sort of a joke,

Nobody was shooting off random weapons.. I was seriously throwing out mass drivers because the person who replied just before me was talking about hurtling balls of mass into fields. I threw out "mass drivers" because that's exactly what they do.. no special device needed, since there's a weapon that does just that.

::reads again::

Ah hell, he's right. Remind me not to post when I'm slipping in and out of consciousness. And I don't think overmortal was serious about the bag of rocks ^_^

Back