Melek for sale !

They're based on the Kzinti, except in space.

(The WC2 Kilrathi generally have very clear 'big cat' roots -- Hobbes is a tiger, the various nobles are lions, etc. The distinction is less clear in every other game... as this very thread shows, WCIV Melek looks a lot more like a furby than any kind of real cat.)

I don't what you guys are talking about. I really liked the Kilrathi design in the fourth game. Fuck though, 9000? That guy's full of himself. I wonder how he got the head. He must be full of heady goodness.

Anyone know if it is real? Sounds more like a ripoff. However who would pay that ammount?!?

Of course it's real -- I know this is the internet and we don't trust anyone and they're all plotting against us because we're too cool for school... but it'd have to be a pretty elaborate and crazy scheme to involve having Melek's mask but only pretending to sell it, and also for more money than anyone would bid in the first place.

(In all likelyhood it's probably just to check for interest, though -- which is why there's an undetermined reserve on the darned thing. My bet is that either the seller is a prop dealer (who sell stuff like this to a specific audience for crazy prices) or has vastly overestimated the value of Wing Commander memorabelia. Since the location for the item is just north of Austin, I'm betting it's a former Origin guy who either isn't aware of what it should sell for or whose heart really isn't in getting rid of it in the first place.)

Bandit LOAF said:
They're based on the Kzinti, except in space.

(The WC2 Kilrathi generally have very clear 'big cat' roots -- Hobbes is a tiger, the various nobles are lions, etc. The distinction is less clear in every other game... as this very thread shows, WCIV Melek looks a lot more like a furby than any kind of real cat.)
a furby that was beaten with a stick

Edfilho said:
Thrakath's head was destroyed along with the rest of Thrakath in combat while orbiting Kilrah :)
I tell you, you have to blow that guy up SO MANY TIMES. I always killed him both times in 3....I think the last two missions of 2 are a great ad for "why you should shoot escape pods."

No kidding...I mean this guy has come back more times than Kirk (which is a character I'm perfectly fine with coming back from the dead but the Kilrathi Prince needs to die!) Besides...I think it odd that the grandfather executing his own son but after all the times the this young prince has screwed up he doesn't do anything?

Maj.Striker said:
No kidding...I mean this guy has come back more times than Kirk (which is a character I'm perfectly fine with coming back from the dead but the Kilrathi Prince needs to die!) Besides...I think it odd that the grandfather executing his own son but after all the times the this young prince has screwed up he doesn't do anything?

Well, it was a younger Emporer (so to speak) that executed his son. And who's to say what political forces were also at work there, not to mention what kind of relationship they had.

Later in life he may have been less inclined to be so hardline. And/or he may have gotten on much better with his grandson. And/or Thrakhat may have had much more political clout (whereas his dad may have had many enemies), etc, etc.

I think Thrakhath was cool except for Angel. What they need is a good slow, painful death to him for that, and then replace him with someone equally cool. Melek didn't quite cut it.

BTW - who did the voice for the Emporer in WC2? Why wasn't he the one doing it in WC3? I always thought the WC3 Emporer sounded weak and 'nappy', by the WC2 Emporer sounded awesome. Badass and forceful. Just what that kind of an emporer needs to soundlike. If they were going for some sort of Palpitane parallel, the high pithced whiny nature sure missed the mark.

Well, it was a younger Emporer (so to speak) that executed his son. And who's to say what political forces were also at work there, not to mention what kind of relationship they had.

The claim has always been that the Emperor spared Thrakhath (on the rare occasion that his failures were actually passed up the chain of command -- if you recall the Special Ops addons, Thrakhath generally claimed victory regardless of situation to the Emperor) because he was unswervingly loyal... unlike all the other nobles, he hadn't plotted to kill the Emperor (even though taking over would be easiest for him).

Gilkarg was killed after twenty years of failure to defeat mankind -- the Sivar incident was just the last straw.

BTW - who did the voice for the Emporer in WC2? Why wasn't he the one doing it in WC3? I always thought the WC3 Emporer sounded weak and 'nappy', by the WC2 Emporer sounded awesome. Badass and forceful. Just what that kind of an emporer needs to soundlike. If they were going for some sort of Palpitane parallel, the high pithced whiny nature sure missed the mark.

The WC2 voices were all done by people who happened to work at Origin -- hence the Texan accent for many of the characters ("It's true, sir...". I *believe* the Emperor was Martin Davies, who went on to help found Digital Anvil. Even if they'd wanted to use non-professional voice actors for WC3, they probably wouldn't have been able to -- the Screen Actors Guild generally frowns on such things.

Viewed straight on it looks terrible.. to me the 3/4s views don't look half bad though. The eyes suddenly aren't so prominent, and it looks like a cat again

"Rise, granson..." Great Intro, WC2 had. I catch myself huming the kilrathi theme from the intro sometimes. The cuts could be better timed though. I'd say we own WC3 grandeur from the WC2 intro.

And the WC3 melek is alot cooler.

Bandit LOAF said:
The WC2 voices were all done by people who happened to work at Origin -- hence the Texan accent for many of the characters ("It's true, sir...". I *believe* the Emperor was Martin Davies, who went on to help found Digital Anvil. Even if they'd wanted to use non-professional voice actors for WC3, they probably wouldn't have been able to -- the Screen Actors Guild generally frowns on such things.
I did not know John Rhys Davies did Thraktath for WC3 and I did not know Mark Hamil was Merlin

Of course he was cooler, Tim Curry did his voice. ;)

I wonder if I would have been as down on Melek in WC4 if Curry was doing Melek's voice once again.

Probably.

Additional pop culture reference #3!

I did not know John Rhys Davies did Thraktath for WC3 and I did not know Mark Hamil was Merlin

Finding out that John Rhys Davies did the voice for WC3 is always a shame, because when you go back and listen it's actually really obvious -- and Thrakhath will always sound like Paladin to you.

Back