Medals and promotoins in wc1

Actually, it doesn't work quite like that. You need x number of points to get a medal during a mission. But it's not possible, for example, to get a gold star if you get y number of points, and a silver star if you only get x. Anybody that does that is just imagining things :).

There is an absolutely excellent guide to all WC1 missions in the CIC's Files section (it's in the zip file with the WC1 Savegame Editor; there is also a WC2 guide in the WC2 Savegame Editor, but that's another story). Take a look at it, because it lists the medal-winning conditions for almost every single mission (with a medal) out there. It's a must-read for those of you who insist on getting every single kill out there ;).

While I'm at it, allow me to quote the above-mentioned document to give you an idea of how promotions work, because apparently they don't have anything to do with the kill points (victory points are not the same as kill points)...

Missions also award promotion points. Promotion points are earned for reaching the maximum number of victory points possible in a mission, reaching or passing a number of total kills that is divisible by five, and for killing a Kilrathi Ace or Drakhai. In some missions, you LOSE one promotion point if your wingmate dies during the mission.

Promotion points accumulate from mission to mission until they exceed a random number generated at the end of each mission. If you pass this number and are eligible for promotion, you will receive the next rank. Whether or not you are eligible for promotion, the promotion point total will also be set to zero. Note that you cannot become a Lieutenant Colonel in the Vega campaign.

TC, you see I don't consider a Golden Sun a medal, per se. I think of it more as the brand of a WC1-era coward. So, as you may guess, I finished with none of those.

Q, I just got the doc you mentioned. I didn't have this before. Oh, and I've gotten to work on the site again. There may be an update in the next month.

That doc is, IMHO, far better than the mission section of the official WC1/2 guide, DH. Be sure to look at the WC2 doc, too... not that there are any medals to win in WC2, of course.

There are a few... only trouble is, most of them are on the losing path :).
Still, you can for example screw up the Rapier test flight in Gimle and still stick to the winning path.

Good call, Q. I actually downloaded those zips a while back, docs are tres helpful for finding everything.

Strangly you can eject on all of the venic missions and still win.
Plus I think you can eject on any mission as long as it isn't a mission flaged as a path selector.

You can't lose in Venice, because it's the last series of the game... that should be obvious, non? :)
As for the other missions, there's no such thing as a 'path selector'... this isn't WC 2, y'know. It's a point system - you get victory points in missions, and at the end of the series, if you've got more victory points than x, you go to the winning path. Unfortunately, in most series, you need the victory points from every mission to win.

Quarto: What's so unfortunate? Its a way of encouraging you to win all the missions. If you're screwing up then you should lose, makes it more realistic anyways.

Just because something's realistic doesn't mean it's fortunate :).
Anyway, the one thing that always irritated me was that when you eject, the whole mission is treated as a complete failure, including any objectives which you may have completed. In fact, this is still the case in WCP and SO - and certainly that's not realistic.
Also, if there's a better way of discouraging people from using the eject option, it has yet to be invented.

I seriously don't understand what the eject option is for. Gamewise, that is. I always fight to the death, that's what 'replay mission' is for.

Back