Medals and promotoins in wc1

Dark Tower

Rear Admiral
This is just a general question on how good was everyone on wc1.

Did anyone get all the medals mentioned in the manual inc the confeds greatest medal (i forgot the name) Also what ranks were attained??

If we're only counting the original game and not the Secret Missions, then I had 218 kills, 16 medals, and was promoted to Major.

Ok I mean wc1 without the secret ops.

Which medals.

Personal with all thou bronze stars, silvar stars, a few gold and the pewter planet (the one you get at the end.) just shoting my character at the vessals would have sunk it.

Also just to make it interesting which missions did you fail and did you destroy the destroy on the last mission or just the base. And for some bonus points did you fight all the fighters then blow the base or blow the base and run like hell???

I earned all of the medals you mentioned and also got the Golden Sun. On the final mission, I went for the fighters first. (The base wasn't going to jump anytime soon.) I think I only failed two missions. One was in the Gimle System and the other was in the Kurasawa System.

I bow to your talents.

However just to boast I completed wc1 without a single lose, with as many kills as possible and on certain missions to add spice sent my wignman home so as to have more of a battle and make it fair on the pussy cats.

I think I got all the medals possible and ended up as Lt. Col.

For me the most difficult mission was the Save the Ralari thing. I think this was a little problematic for many people. :)

You can't become a Lieutenant Colonel until the Secret Missions. We weren't talking about them yet.

I couldn't care less about the Ralari. I just wanted to nail those four Gratha! :)

I never got the something-something Planet, because I never bother taking out all ships in the last mission. That's what I do through most of the game actually, acomplish my mission, and don't take on anything that could make me dead.:) I never fail missions in WC1 though, I repeat them as long as it takes to finishe them (including the Ralari mission, which isn't that hard after you do it once and repeat exactly what you did later). And I send my wingman home on many ocasions, since I don't want to lose any of them, so I finish WC1 without loosing any of my wingman (not counting the plot deaths of course).

I couldn't care less about the kills I get though, and I bearly ever bother checking my kills in WC1.

Hmmmm

Maybe there should be a kill board around here.

Maybe success, kills, lost wingman. possibly with a few questions just to check noone is cheating.

eg. In one of the wc1 mission you have to save a confed destroyer and then go thru a series of nav points. Why was this needed and why is this a double gag.

If anyone answers I'll have to look it up.

Well, I know I successfully completed EVERY mission in WC 1 (for the SNES) except the damned starbase. And, I know for a fact that I got a Gold Star on a mission, thought I missed a couple of kills, re-did the mission, got MORE kills, and only got a Silver Star. :( Ahh well. ~LOL~

I think the type of medals which get dished out for different missions are silly. As in do well near the start, get a gold, then do better toward the end and get a silver. Or something like that. BTW, I always wanted to know, since Major is a gold leaf, and Lt Colonel a silver leaf (similarly for 1st Lt and Captain) does that make silver better than bronze?

For the record I reached Major at the end of WC1 with a load of kills, no wingmen lost and enough medals to make you walk with a limp. :) Really, it wasn't that hard to keep your wingmen, though I sent them home as well, if only to grab all the kills!

For the last mission, I just blow the base then run. It doesn't matter if you get the Pewter Planet, the game doesn't save it unless you get it SM2. For that matter it doesn't save how many kills you get either. That's where save game editors come in handy :)

And I agree, the Save the Ralari mission wasn't too hard if you practiced.

Yes, Wedge, generally people consider silver to be better than bronze :). BTW, it's not with 1st Lt. and Captain. It's with 2nd and 1st Lt.

As for the Ralari, I don't think we were supposed sit there and practice until we finally completed it. That's what losing paths are for :).

Whoops! Can't believe I said that. You knew what I meant, didn't you? So you still didn't answer it - does that make silver higher than gold.

And some of us are a little more persistent. :) Although I think the first time I played it I just went to Rostov.

Yeah, I knew what you meant. Maybe the Major's insignia is actually brass, which I believe has a colour similar to gold, but don't shoot me if I'm wrong.

The first time I played WC, I also just went to Rostov... but I didn't go to Kurasawa ;). Or Gimle. Or even Dakota. But I did see the TCSO troupe blown out of space :).

On the other hand, the first time I did reach Kurasawa, I somehow got through the Ralari mission on my first attempt. Not skill - just dumb luck.

It's been so long since I've played WC1 that I don't recall for sure, but I think you have to get a certain point value to get a medal. Each medal corresponds to a kill value. I don't remember each ships value nor the medal requirements, but I've finished WC with at least two "Pewter Planets" and 4-8 of each of the others. To get medals and promotions, kill the biggest ships personally, don't let your wingman take out aces and the helpless capsips whilst you kill off all the fighters.

Kill Values

Salthi = 7
Dralthi = 10
Krant = 10
Gratha = 15
Hhriss = 15
Jalthi = 15
Dorkir = 15
Ralari = 25
Fralthi = 50
Snakeir = 70
Star Post = 75
Confed Ship* = -1
Confed Ship* Saved = 25

* This refers to any friendly vessel.

[Edited by WildWeasel on 11-23-2000 at 23:58]

I'm just going to assume you didn't get 4-8 Golden Suns :) (Since its rather impossible to get more than one.)

TC

Back