Mcauliffe

Wildshot

Spaceman
I was just recently reading both Victory Streaks and Action Stations, and I was wondering, is Action Stations the WC novel equivalent of the Battle of McAuliffe the manuals speak of. I know there are major differences between the two, but i've hear that the novels aren't completely canon, so its possible that they are two different versions of the same event.

Similarities:

Cryptologist Ches M. Penny decodes Kilrathi transmissions signalling a major offensive on the world of McAuliffe and its orbitting space station Alexandria, Confed dispatches task force to assist.

Kilrathi forces end up being quadruple expected size.

Confed forces are initially pushed back and the Kilrathi take McAuliffe, however a strong counteroffensive pushes the Kilrathi to retreat with losses as extensive as the Terrans.

That's where the similarities end, the major differences are:

Victory Streaks says the Confed fleet arrived in time to set up a formidable defensive perimeter, while Action Stations has the Confed fleet not arriving until the battle has been joined, and Confed forces on McAuliffe being caught totally off guard.

According to VS, phase shields and torpedo technology had not yet been developed, however AS has this battle as being the one that first introduced torpedo technology and has the Kilrathi as the ones introducing it.

VS has the Confed fleet regrouping under then-Captain Tolwyn, while in AS, Tolwyn is still an ensign, and Commander Winston Turner is the one who regroups the fleet with the TCS Concordia as the focal point.

VS speaks of the Confederation mining a jump point and then detonating specific mines to allow reinforcements to come through, however AS has no mines and is able to scare the Kilrathi emporer into ordering retreat by destroying troop transports with Imperial clansmen on them.

Are these two versions of the same event, or two different battles. If they indeed are two different battles, McAuliffe has certainly seen a lot of action, and Ches M. Penny deserves a medal for decoding so many important Kilrathi transmissions.

It is the same event.It just goes into them in more detail.The only thing thats missing,as a reason for war, is the Anna Magdalena incident.And the books are completely canon.

AS is the story of the Battle at McAuliffe. I suggest reading it, it's quite good.

WC Novels are Canon. Period.

The incidents which you mentioned, involving Captain Tolwyn and the mines, are a different incident.I just assumed you were talking about the first battle of Mcauliffe.This was the second battle of Acauliffe which occured in 2639.

why? I can't remember a place or person named Enyo. Instead it reminds me of St with that president of the UFP named Inyo or some such

Just like there were two Iason's with two Captains Jedora Andropoulos and....

I can see were this is going... :( more conflict! So for the good of society and the board, lets not and say we did.

Lehah, for some, the books are canon, for myself, and for many others they aren't (we have no definitive figures whether its the majority or minority but seeing as many WC players probably haven't bothered reading the books or can't get them, I'd propose the former).

So scrap the 'period' (or full stop if you come from a country which still speaks English) :p

Originally posted by redwolf
Just like there were two Iason's with two Captains Jedora Andropoulos and....

I can see were this is going... :( more conflict! So for the good of society and the board, lets not and say we did.
I don't see any conflicts. Possibly because I'm not biased towards the [insert movie/game/book here] like some of you.

Lehah, for some, the books are canon, for myself, and for many others they aren't
I'd really like to hear how you can just decide for yourself that an officially licensed and thus canon product (that's how it is with Wing Commander, so don't bother bringing up Batman or whatnot) is not canon. Really.
(we have no definitive figures whether its the majority or minority but seeing as many WC players probably haven't bothered reading the books or can't get them,
Wow, so you do have definite figures on how many players have read the novels?

And FYI, the novels are very easy to get, even today.
I'd propose the former).
So you do agree that they're canon. Marvelous.

. . .more conflict! . . . for some, the books are canon, for myself, and for many others they aren't (we have no definitive figures whether it’s the majority or minority but seeing as many WC players probably haven't bothered reading the books or can't get them, I'd propose the former).

Conflict. I see this complaint invoked time and again, as if the mere utterance magically condemns whatever proposition is at issue.

But just what, pray tell, is wrong with conflict per se? It is certainly not, as those who harp on it seem to think, some kind of proof or guarantee, let alone a reliable indication, of falsity. More to the point, I don’t know of any serious academic enterprise that lacks it as a quality. Science, history, art . . . take your pick.

For those of us who take WC canon seriously, we embrace conflict, because that’s the whole point of taking canon seriously. So with all due respect to everyone else, you don’t take canon seriously–indeed, whether you realize it or not, you are not really interested in canon at all–if what you seek is to be spoon-fed happily consistent plotlines. That’s a whole other kind of “fun”. Please stop confusing the two.

I'm not trying to prove whether something is canon, I'm not biased towards any particular event, and I'm *not* trying to start conflict. I'm just trying to figure out whether there are two different versions of the same event or two different battles. I'm not arguing which one's the CORRECT version, I'm just arguing whether they're both the same one or not.

The books are cannon..? really..? how interesting.. I can pretty much assure you that nobody on the Dev team(s) for the games (specifically WC4, WCP & SO) ever consider (or was told) that the books are cannon..

Just my $0.02

Your two cents is sadly worth about $5 worth of debt where I come from.

Wow, the books are giant guns? Cool!

I apologize for that smart-ass remark. Canon. Cannon is something else.

I'm sorry. Moving on. :)

Why would the story of AS and those told in the manuals be two separate events. Hell, it's even the same friggin' date, not like the separate dates of Iason incidents (I'm still not happy with that explanation, though). 'Sides, the "differences" are so minute that it really hardly matters, at least IMO.

Whatever...

Back