Marines

I think so too, considering the color of the beams, and, as the weakest weapon(with likely the lowest power drain), would be a cheap and effective ceremonial weapon.

"We stand here today to honour one of are own... yada yada yada"
*honour guard fires*
"ABANDON SHIP, I REPEAT: ABANDON SHIP"
:D

Not all laser based sidearms are dangerous to use in starships.Grayson Burrows,for instance,had an old laser weapon "which worked well on flesh without damaging a bulkhead."

Is that from the Priv manual where he shoots the Retro base commander?

Funny thing about the funeral, Unforgiven. :)

Thank you, thank you. Donations are accepted. :D

Seriously: a laser needn't have a high power yield to be effective against flesh, just depends on what you want to do with it.
If you just one to seriously burn or even cut through flesh, you needn't anything close to the power output needed for burning holes in durasteel.
If you want to disintegrate someone, it's possibly a whole other story.
"They have two settings: stun and kill. It would be best not to confuse them" - Lt. Malcolm Reed in the Enterprise pilot.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Is that from the Priv manual where he shoots the Retro base commander?
. :)
That is correct.It was from that story.
A weapon could be designed to be low powered so it would not damage metal.It could be designed to cause damge to the nervous system,for instance,while still having a low enough output to prevent the searing of bulkheads.As for armor maybe it still can fry the person inside by going through the armor without damaging it.I do not think that his blaster was to effective against advanced armor types,though.

Originally posted by Bhaktadil

That is correct.It was from that story.
A weapon could be designed to be low powered so it would not damage metal.It could be designed to cause damge to the nervous system,for instance,while still having a low enough output to prevent the searing of bulkheads.As for armor maybe it still can fry the person inside by going through the armor without damaging it.I do not think that his blaster was to effective against advanced armor types,though.

I think that's stretching it just a *little* bit ;)

Well,that's why It probably wasn't to effective against armor.It was an old laser.As for being able to kill without being destructive ,it it possible.The weapon could act as more like a high-intensity,but low power weapon which would kill an organic being. Like electricity or a stun weapon on an higher setting.It would be low enough in intensity to not cause seroius structural damage,but it would be specialy lethal to organic matter.Of course the armor would probably be designed to absorb the beam.The same principle could,however, be applied to lightly armored targets.The beam would not literaly go through the armor or bypass it,but it would pass through the armor in much the same way as electricity(in a different sense since we are dealing with something totaly different here).It would not damage the armor in the sense of erradicating it or putting a grapefruit sized burn mark in it.

Originally posted by $tormin
question, how would they repel borders wearing armor without using weapons that would hole the hull?
Not? :rolleyes:
But if you have a weapon that, like Bhaktadil suggested, is designed to fry your nervous system, you'd need to be wearing full body armour, covering every square centimeter of your body.
Of course, even with a conventional heat laser, you'd need to cover most your body. burning your legs may not be as lethal as burning your brains or heart, but still very bad indeed.

If the weapon, as Bhaktadil mentioned, was indeed electric, then you just need a faraday cage, which a metal-laced clothes would provded nicely. The beam won't pass through the armor, since electricity laws would prevent it.

I thought that the rifles the confed guards use against Vagabond in WCIV were some sort of plasma throwers since they seemed to have to recharge between shots due to the low refire rate we see, (about one shot every two seconds), ie. no automatic fire. You would have to make sure you hit your target eith the first shot then as you might not get chance for a second

Back