Map Time Again

Yeah, it's definitely too busy. It gets to the point where it's difficult to make out the normal jump lines.

I agree with LeHah... mark Dakota with a * or a differently colored C, and add a footnote explaining that system has jumps to all those marked with the yellow C.

Even the yellow Cs might end up cluttering the map. Well, maybe not.

But what's the point? Doesn't that Jump Node change it's drop out point depending on where you enter and how fast? That being said, is it safe to say that as far as we know, the Charybdis Quasar could either

a.) Send the object to a totally unknown jump point in an unknown system thats not on any map, canon or otherwise
b.) Jump practically to any system, anywhere

Pardon me. I'm all hooped up on cold medication. I may not be making sense.

Bandit LOAF said:
Greetings, carto-fans!

It's that time of year once again: the leaves are changing colors, the weather's turning colder and the nights are getting longer... and it's time to re-edit the Wing Commander Universe map!

So, here's your job -- tell me what changes need to be made.

Yes sir.

So far the only thing obvious to me (aside from some layout changes Wedge suggested months back) is adding a pair of jump lines: Calimachus<->Orestes and Orestes<->Sol, as per the Wing IV novel Vesuvius chase.

Good idea

Other possibilities...

Ooh. *gets all excited*

* Hari Space. Should I add the Hari systems referenced in Fleet Action? Meaning: add ~974 'burned out' systems to the Hari Sector region. If I do this, should I connect them with random jump points, or just leave them sitting empty in space?

Yeah... but make sure you can arrange it so that you could put a transport about 10 jump points ahead of the other. Keep in mind also that the DSSS can only keep track of translight signals 600 light years from their source. So, make sure most of these systems (at least several that are 10 jumps away from Kilrah, maybe even 11) are within 600 light-years of Kilrah. Remember, the one that was directed at the system in the Hari sector (did it have a name?) bounced off one of Kilrah's moons.

* More Anomalies. Should I mark nebulae and star types and what-not? If so, how? We'll need to come up with a list.

I'd say that's not a bad idea. As you said. We need a list of stuff. I'd prefer to select canon stuff first.

* 'Development' Systems. Over the past few months I've had access to outlines for things like Privateer Online and such... should I add the sectors designed for those games? Or not because they were never published?

Yes... feel free to add stuff that the developer's add as they keep going.

* Take into account distances. The map isn't to scale (since it's a jump map)... but should I add charts and such showing distances between given stars?

Yes! Excellent idea. Particularly with the Hari-Sector Additions.

Oh well, give me your thoughts -- I'm also willing to do special one-off edits of the map for clubs and such, if you let me know what should be added.

For the cases of a PBM, adding special systems and such would be a good idea, but keeping those extra systems related to that PBM off the regular maps would be a wise idea as it would get confusing.

-Concordia

Somebody please donate a map of Sol System to LOAF so he can mark all the Confed bases on it. It would come in handy for a project I'm working on :(

Wc 3

Okay I don't know if this was resolved before but I'll throw it out there. On my Map from WC Prophecy, the Jump between Freya and Kilrah that you use in WC III's final mission is actually listed as a jump to another point before Kilrah. Also considering that failing a mission in the Freya sector sends you back to Proxima, shouldn't Sol>Proxima>Freya>Kilrah be the quickest route to the two homeworlds? Just a thought...

Mmmkay, boys and girls, here's a full map.

https://www.wcnews.com/loaf/wcumap5.png - 2.11 megabytes

I downgraded the Charybdis event...

- Charybdis lines are now half the width of regular jump lines.
- The 'C' markers on systems are gone.
- The jump lines 'curve' to avoid running into other systems.
- The jump lines are at the lowest possible layer - everything else is 'above' them.

Let me know if you still think it's too much. My take is that it adds a bit of much-needed color to the map.

Other changes in this version should be clear - I added the Steltek/Mantu/etc. 'layer' at the top, upgraded the map key and added the 'Hari' note. This map also has all of Wedges little details.

To Do list...

* Figure out the Enigma Black Hole
* Enlarge the image to include the Armada Maps.

Replies to some comments...

Yeah... but make sure you can arrange it so that you could put a transport about 10 jump points ahead of the other. Keep in mind also that the DSSS can only keep track of translight signals 600 light years from their source. So, make sure most of these systems (at least several that are 10 jumps away from Kilrah, maybe even 11) are within 600 light-years of Kilrah. Remember, the one that was directed at the system in the Hari sector (did it have a name?) bounced off one of Kilrah's moons.

Distance doesn't really matter in a jump map... but all of the '{X} systems away' references in Fleet Action should jive with the portion of Hari that has already been mapped.

Okay I don't know if this was resolved before but I'll throw it out there. On my Map from WC Prophecy, the Jump between Freya and Kilrah that you use in WC III's final mission is actually listed as a jump to another point before Kilrah. Also considering that failing a mission in the Freya sector sends you back to Proxima, shouldn't Sol>Proxima>Freya>Kilrah be the quickest route to the two homeworlds? Just a thought...

I did add back in a Freya-Kilrah jump line. I *didn't* add extra jumps to Proxima, since it isn't clear that Proxima and Freya are directly connected (Proxima is the losing system throughout the game - any sufficient number of failed objectives sends you there.)

Yet another trivial point: Teragon (gauntlet system in Armada) is spelt with one r, not two. M'shrak sector, Dath'que quadrant.

That's a good one, thanks - I've fixed it on my version now, so whenever I upload again it'll be correct (still wrong on the server version).

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit off topic, but a star chart something like Paladin's in the WCM movie would be fun.

Man, Vega Sector is a pain. Though I suppose that makes a lot of sense... since most of the war efforts took place in Vega, it would logically be the most extensively explored area of all.

LeHah said:
Correct. They're all the possible jump routes.

Man, LOAF, you gotta make those blue lines a different color. It is distracting... perhaps make them a dull red or something so that they don't make it difficult to see the regular jump-lines.

-Concordia

LOAF, I wonder if all this is worth the effort? After all, the Charybdis jumps are a special kind of jump. It seems like you're trying to pack far too much information into too little space.

Personally, I think the way the maps are in the CIC right now are fine. Remember the KISS principle? Keep it simple, stupid. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" might also apply.

Hmm, I've been thinking about that, of course - and I really think I prefer Charybdis done in this style. I was never a huge fan of the big 'C's over the system symbols...

Fair enough.

Remind me what the big 'N' over Proxima is for. Apologies if it's already been mentioned elsewhere.

Vesuvius' jump route in WC4

Hello again. Time for another nit-pick...

The most direct route from Ella to Sol is through Talos, according to the maps and the game guides. If that is the case, how do we explain the Vesuvius' presence in Talos if it had to take a longer route from Axius to Sol (bypassing the 'smaller' jump points in Ella)? I suggest a simple modification to Sol sector: add a jump line from either Canarus or E-Erandi to Talos (all in Vearrier quadrant). This shouldn't be too hard - it's a much less crowded section of the maps than Vega sector! It is then easy to see the Vesuvius following the route: Axius -> Pembroke -> Vespus -> Canarus -> (E-Erandi) -> Talos -> Sol. How Sosa managed to detect the Vesuvius leaving Axius from Callimachius is another matter entirely. :/

Back