Man kills attacking leopard by ripping out its tongue

Bandit LOAF said:
Speaking of leopards, I saw the baby cheetahs today.

I see you cheetahs and raise you tiger cubs from the Beardsley Zoo.

Attachments

• Copy of 062105_MomTiger&Cub04.jpeg
    Copy of 062105_MomTiger&Cub04.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Copy of 062105_TigerCubs05.jpg
    Copy of 062105_TigerCubs05.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 139
Jesus said:
I don't think anyone could do it unless it was a miracle

If leopard tongues are anything like domestic cat tongues, I don't imagine he would have any difficulty getting a grip on it. That rough texture would make it easier than grabbing, say, a slimy human tongue.

I used to grab cat's tongues as they yawned, quite comical really...for a 10 year old anyway.

I would have been neat had they been able to capture this happening on film though. It would be a site to see I think.

If I were placed into such situation like that of the farmer, I would indeed commit self-defense. It's just the (human) instinct - the own survival, without questioning what I have lost on leopard territory. I think it was necessary to survive, but it's nothing glorious with it, in my opinion. I guess it was a case of rough self-defense without room of philosophy. Don't get me wrong, I'm no "veggie", but this action wasn't heroic or splendid as it is commonly thought. And if a trend arise, which consists mocking (unrelated phrase, because I speculate that at least 50% of people in their infant phase had mocked certainly an animal, mostly in a harmless way, I suggest) of domesticated ones (I refuse to say animal), then we are nothing more than a heap of lousy degenerated apes. Sorry, just rant. Natural born reaction of mine towards such kind of topics. :p

If you want to talk about really big cats, nothing beats a Liger. Anyone still in the game, or can I take the chips home now?

If anyone's interested: Ligers are lion/tiger crossbreeds. The one in the picture is called Hobbs (haha, yes) and lives in the Sierra Safari Zoo in Reno. More info about these guys (although no mention of Kilrathi traits): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liger

Attachments

• liger4.jpg
    liger4.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 154
  • sidebar_hobbs.jpg
    sidebar_hobbs.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 138
That's an intresting crossbreed, indeed. Malar, what does being a "veggie" have to do with being nice to domestic animals? I consume more meat then most other people, but that doesnt make me a "crazy nazi kitten impaler" like Porthos. :(

"Hey, Frank, I'm kinda hungry."
"Me too. Let's grab mr. Smith's cat on the way back."

Hail the big cats!

criticalmass said:
If you want to talk about really big cats, nothing beats a Liger. Anyone still in the game, or can I take the chips home now?

That's a relative splendid sight! Relative, because of their unnatural origin (= among other possiblities like the use of gene labors, forced crossbreed, geographically unusual encounters of different races). Which leads often to sterility. Sadly they aren't therefore a natural evolved species. A species which could have appeal some of the advances in being upright walking and envy-worth inclination of hunting down some homo sapiens predecessors in order to prevent just the worst mistake of evolution. :D ;)

PS: Hm, after looking of some pictures of the 'Ligers', I have the bad feeling, that they are fully covered with gene-deffects, visible and manifested by their bone structure and proportions... :(

Cats are simply great. I'm more the dog-type person, but cats are nontheless great (like once more mentioned). I know that's oxymoron, because the Kilrathi were just make to appease Chris Roberts allergy based hatred, insubtle said.

Dyret said:
Malar, what does being a "veggie" have to do with being nice to domestic animals?
Because vegetarians - mostly, not at all - fool their own need of proteins and vitamines (like vitamine B2). Some of them don't really care ecological issues and wellfare of the fauna and are only trendy hypocrites. Therefore I mentioned this, to avoid being connected with them. And no I'm no member of any ecofascist party, only my English sucks in resulting that I appear radically.

criticalmass said:

I'd take a saltwater croc over those bad boys...

048.jpg

Poor Leopard. What a horrible death. At least the guy was saving his ass, it wasn't hunting or some other stupid thing like that.

BTW, I think a Shotgun or the machete would have been bad ideas, because the cat was probably on top of the guy, and he prolly didn't have space to shoot or hack at the attacker.

Edfilho said:
Poor Leopard. What a horrible death. At least the guy was saving his ass, it wasn't hunting or some other stupid thing like that.

I totally agree.

But if I remove the anthropocentric principle of ones' survival, the death of the leopard is a shame. If I would be the farmer, I would reconsider my balance between economy and ecology. Was it necessary to have a farm in the wild lands? I'm alive, but shouldn't I make a dignified funeral or I give the corpse at least to a science motivated museum (not for the lesser joy of the public)? Otherwise, I have to admit that I sometimes did the mistake to project my values/ethic/moral on everybody.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's hilarious. Yes, let's ask a 73 year old Kenyan farmer about his view of his current balance on economy versus ecology. Perhaps you could discuss quantum physicis with him as well. I'm pretty sure that the only thing he's concerned with is:

1. Killing that leopard before it killed him
2. Doing a good enough job farming so that he pays all the bills he has and feeds his family.

I'm sure he would be quite willing to leave probably the only farmland he's ever known and move somewhere else because of the danger to the wildlife near his farm.

Malar said:
Because vegetarians - mostly, not at all - fool their own need of proteins and vitamines (like vitamine B2).

"fool their own need of proteins"? What is that supposed to mean?

And I couldn't agree more with Maj.Striker. As much as I love animals I definitely wouldn't spend a millisecond considering its fate when attacked by one. But I started to wonder who would be the first person to say bad farmer, why did you kill that poor animal.

Excuse my freaky-fairy-ideals.

Maj.Striker said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's hilarious. Yes, let's ask a 73 year old Kenyan farmer about his view of his current balance on economy versus ecology. Perhaps you could discuss quantum physicis with him as well. I'm pretty sure that the only thing he's concerned with is:

1. Killing that leopard before it killed him
2. Doing a good enough job farming so that he pays all the bills he has and feeds his family.

I'm sure he would be quite willing to leave probably the only farmland he's ever known and move somewhere else because of the danger to the wildlife near his farm.

Yes, you show that in detail what I had meant with the anthropocentric principle of the farmer's survival. Sometimes, situation (most time) and mentallity (luxury) of people around the globe can't provide such ideals.

Dyret said:
That's just crazy, Malar!

That's just me. Experience it different, experience it malarific! :p

cff said:
"fool their own need of proteins"? What is that supposed to mean?

Bad grammar, but I meant it that the easiest way to nourish ourself optimally is to eat flesh. That's how we evolved at last. Mayhaps there will exist other ways in an idealistic future to gain such kind of proteins. Yes, some vegetables can have them also. Damn flesh-eating conflict. After my own opinions I must become a vegetarian but the personal habit stands against it - hm, I'm therefore hypocritical.

cff said:
And I couldn't agree more with Maj.Striker. As much as I love animals I definitely wouldn't spend a millisecond considering its fate when attacked by one. But I started to wonder who would be the first person to say bad farmer, why did you kill that poor animal.

Yes, mayhaps one of my schizophrenic selves (there exists to many viewpoints, which I fail to gather in one definite consistent move) would do the same like the farmer.

What I meant at last - this was to me an action of necessity for someone self but nothing glorious to pretend. Like hunting for the own survival in ancient times.

That's kinda stupid. Self preservation against attackers is the second most primeval instinct of all. No creature can be "blamed" for killing something that posed a direct and immediate threat to its life.

Malar said:
What I meant at last - this was to me an action of necessity for someone self but nothing glorious to pretend. Like hunting for the own survival in ancient times.
I daresay you don't get much more glorious than that - given that human beings are clearly not designed to win in unarmed combat against leopards or other large cats, for a 70 year-old to kill a leopard with his bare hands is pretty damn impressive.

Either I don't understand what you're saying, or you don't understand logic - since when does the necessity or unnecessity of an action determine whether this action is notable or not?

Also, why do you keep using the word 'anthropocentric'? This is utter nonsense. The guy didn't fight to survive because he was human - he fought to survive because he was alive and wanted to stay that way.

Quarto said:
IAlso, why do you keep using the word 'anthropocentric'? This is utter nonsense. The guy didn't fight to survive because he was human - he fought to survive because he was alive and wanted to stay that way.

I think what Malar is trying to say is that humans in particular would do anything to save their own hide, no matter the damage done to others.

And I think that's a stupid thing to say. The fact that we're willing to do anything to save ourselves doesn't make us special - it makes us like them.

Yeah, silly humans always want to stay alive, while all the good animals roll over and die when their life is threatened by an attack by another animal.

Oh, wait...

Back