Making the Games: The Shadow Force - Confederation (October 25, 2008)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
This is the twelfth set of Feng Zhu concept artwork pieces. Unlike the previous sets, the origin of these is clear: they are the characters developed for Wing Commander: Shadow Force, an aborted follow-up to Secret Ops. The first half of the cast are Confederation officers -- note the dynamic new uniforms, which give the old converted garbage-man outfits a run for their money.

Thanks to Captain Johnny for both archiving and providing this material!

--
Original update published on October 25, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
I already had forgotten (again) about Shadow Force. There are so many cancelled WC games, it's such a shame.

Actually, these designs don't click with me, at least not immediately. Can't tell why...

By his own admission, Feng wasn't doing humans that well at the time - it's pretty apparent in these drawings. Of course if you check out his website and his recent stuff you can see he's spent a lot of effort getting better at that, and kicks butt now - but he wasn't really comfortable with the character designs, at least not as much as the ship concept stuff.

I checked his gallery and yes, his newer works look better to me. His Star Wars recruitement posters are funny, though they all follow the same theme.

By his own admission, Feng wasn't doing humans that well at the time - it's pretty apparent in these drawings.
I can see that, and yet, they're still pretty nice all the same.

I just think Marion is an odd name for a fellow, 'tis all. :)

Either that or he was unreasonably prescient, and didn't want to be associated with the then-future mayor of Washington DC, Marion Barry... :D

Back