LOAF Fixes a Macintosh

Hmm, I actually spoke with an old friend on Facebook yesterday who was getting the same crashes on a G3. SWC would crash Finder every time I tried to mouse up to the menu and change settings. I could then restart SWC and play normally, but I'd have to reboot the system if I wanted to do anything else afterwards.

I just ordered some extra RAM and VRAM--no good reason, just thought it'd be fun to install. Maybe I can get her to boot really really quickly!

Yah that was a problem with the old MacOSs. One little crash and the OS was completely unstable. Good luck with the Ram!

Anyone know if SWC will run in Mac Classic mode on OS10.4? My trusty old G4 has 10.5 on at the moment, but I'd been thinking about going back to 10.4 for speed and to enable booting into the classic 9.2.2 environment. Would give me all the more reason to do it if SWC would run there. Anyone tried, or will it be ridiculously fast? Is there a Mac version of CPU killer or anything like that?

Anyone know if SWC will run in Mac Classic mode on OS10.4? My trusty old G4 has 10.5 on at the moment, but I'd been thinking about going back to 10.4 for speed and to enable booting into the classic 9.2.2 environment. Would give me all the more reason to do it if SWC would run there. Anyone tried, or will it be ridiculously fast? Is there a Mac version of CPU killer or anything like that?

I've heard that SWC runs too fast when running in Classic on Tiger on lower.

However, if it's a G4 model that can boot natively into OS 9.2.2, you might have more luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_9#Compatibility

It's a mirror drive door mode - Dual G4 1GHz with 2GB RAM and an "altered" Geforce 5200 ripped from a PC too - quite a way away from Big Bertha :)
If I remember last time I had classic mode installed on 10.4 it would either run in a window, or you could reboot into 9.2.2 proper. When the dust settles I'll fire it up again and see what happens.

I've got one of those, maxed out at 2GB also. Kept me going when my PC crapped out and I couldn't afford to replace it for a couple of years.

Apparently it takes a machine-specific version of 9.2.2. I guess as long as you have that, you'll be fine.

And yes, you're right. It appears as a bootable volume so you can either use Classic mode, which runs Classic apps within OS X, or boot natively into 9.2.2.

I couldn't bear to roll it back to Tiger, though. Leopard just ran so much better for me. I've got a dual 500 I've been meaning to roll back to Tiger, though, for the same reason as you.

Hello,
I'm going to buy Macintosh to play Super WC, TIE Fighter CD and X-Wing CD especially (It looks like the best version of X-Wing game ever). And I have a couple of questions as I don't know anything about Macintosh computers:
- I have found some guy selling old iMac PowerPC G3 OS X Tiger near me. Would it be ok for SWC and X-Wing?
- Is it possible to reinstall OS on this iMac to 9.x?
- Are there any problems using USB joystick on Mac? I have old Logitech Wingman Extreme digital 3D and I would like to use it.
Thanks for help.

All I can answer for you is your second question.

According to the link I posted just a couple of posts above yours, all iMac G3s can run at least 9.2.1 without problems. The later iMac G3s could only run a machine-specific version of 9.1 and couldn't run 9.0 at all.

Is that one of those color imac G3 that look like CRT monitor with a cd Drive? I believe thoes have USB but you should double check. If it is an older beige model G3 then it doesn't instead it has what are called Serial Ports, (look just like S-video cables) and you will have to get an Old mac joystick. Even if it does have USB then your joystick might work but i can't promise.

Yes, it's the color all-in-one CRT with CD-Drive. This one has 2 USB ports.
I also found the box of my Logitech Wingman Extreme digital 3D and it says it is Mac compatibile but I'm not sure if it will work under 9.something OS and old games (X-Wing) will recognised it.

Another question (maybe stupid :)):
Is there any difference for these old games betweet different versions of 9 OS? I mean that the game will work on 9.0.4 but won't on 9.2.1?

Well due to the need for USB you are limited to OS9 and earlier versions of OSX.
The game will perform pretty much equally throughout the OS9 updates, which in my experience has always been good.
But here are a few things about the updates
9.0.4 - origional relase, and huge crash fest. always upgrade t.

9.1- Fixes alot of bugs of the previous OS. And I think it includes some memory enhamcements cause you can't install it in sheepshaver

9.2 - just a release for use with Classic in OSX, I think it enhances comparability in Classic, but doesn't do much extra if you are using it as the host operating system. But, hey it's an update and doesn't hurt anything.

Hope that helps

LOAF's journey into getting this machine to run has been both nostalgic (I remember being too poor to buy enough RAM ((nevermind a PC)) to run Prophecy) and educational. I always wrote off as 1990s Macs as something you never modified - wasn't that a selling point? - and seeing that you could not only do it but then rollback on the OS and all these other things I had thought were "PC only" things limited to PCs in the late 1990s shows you how much I appreciated the system.

I always wrote off as 1990s Macs as something you never modified -

This was true of early macs. Apple plus and the like. Steve jobs wanted it thus. but 90's macs were infact very easy to modify and get at the hardware.

Congratulations Bandit/LOAF on your intrepid foray into the SWC Mac universe! I have been there since the game was released and still play it a lot!

swcsetup.jpg

Thanks NT. 450 MHz, picked it up at a university lab for a song (thanks to a great technician named Peter Lee!). It runs too fast but I am still playing and working on the speed issue. Used to use a Powermac 7100/80 or some such thing back in the day....

First had a Mac Plus, and got to network a bunch of them at my university in 1987. We also had the Xerox PARC computers with GUI and laser printers, mouse and fonts back before Windows and just as Mac was developing. Then had an SE, followed by an SE/30 in Japan and then the 7100/80. After that it was a bunch of beige and platinum G3s at work and home, and PowerBooks. Then moved on to Windows (thanks to WC and subsequent games being on that platform) and only came back to the Mac with the 900 MHz aluminum G5 running OSX and subsequent MacBooks and current 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac now running Lion. Reading Steve Jobs bio is making me nostalgic!! On this G3 I am running 9.1 and having major speed issues....

DCIM0405.jpg

Back