Little Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excalibur

Spaceman
I was just woundering if anyone knows any little tricks that you can do to help you while playing. I recently found one out that is quite handy.

If you like the way that you can have unlimited afterburner full on the Dragon, then you will like this one. (Note, I found this out on WCP, it may work on ships in WC3 and WC4 but I haven't tried them yet. But it definatly works in WCP)

First you need a ship that has the auto-slide ability. So unfortunatly, this rules out bombers. (I think that it also rules out Wasps and Tigershakes, and maybe Piranhas, but I'm not sure. I do know that Vampires and Panthers can do this.)
If you put on your afterburners, then use the lock auto-slide command (or you could hold down the auto-slide button if you wanted), then you can turn off your afterburns and still be traveling at the same speed, but without losing any afterburner fuel. The problem with this is you can only travel in one direction. So really this is just a good way of saving afterburner fuel while tring to get somewhere fast. You will lose a tiny amount of fuel, but its only a very small amount. And if you time it right, then you can reduce the amount even more.

Its a handy little trick. Try it out.

Originally posted by Excalibur
(I think that it also rules out Wasps and Tigershakes, and maybe Piranhas, but I'm not sure

Tigershakes?... Are those made with Kellogg's Corn Flakes? (I bet they're GGRRRRRRREAT!) :D

Re: Re: Little Tricks

Heh. Pirhanas can autoslide as well, though given the defences on that thing, sliding in a straight line might not be the best idea.

Best, Raptor

(I think that it also rules out Wasps and Tigershakes, and maybe Piranhas, but I'm not sure
I made a little mistake.

Also, I wasn't sure if Pirhanas could auto-slide. I had a small felling that they could, but I wasn't sure. Also, I don't really like Pirhanas. Not much shielding, weak weapons that use up energy quickly, however, they are good dogfighters which I like.

Yes, that was a famous bug in the trench run in WC3, you can enter the atmosphere, Cloack (a bug too) and Infinite AB, making that mission a piece of cake.

Yeah, the Pirhana always seemed like a training fighter to me, unlike the Arrow which (while not my favorite fighter) could hold its own in most missions.

Best, Raptor

WC3/4 carriers

When u want to take out a carrier, only fly into it and no one can attack you and you also get no damage when it explote!

Yeah, but origin got wise to this strategy for WCIV, therefore, they programmed the carriers to make frequent turns if a ship tried to attack the launch bay,

<one minute strafing the carrier flight deck>
<carrier turns>
<WHAM!.....BOOM! >:eek:

Re: WC3/4 carriers

Originally posted by Nimrod
When u want to take out a carrier, only fly into it and no one can attack you and you also get no damage when it explote!

if you play iton easy mode......on higher levels you do take damage. i lost most of my armor once when a carrier exploded while i was in the launch bay.

I never get into that situation, or at least not that exact situation. I attack from the inside and then just before it blows up, I hit the afterburner, and straf the sides by hitting the auto-slide and turning in one direction and then pound away at it. If I don't have an craft with an autoslide, then I cut things close. I keep attacking untill I see small expositions apearing and then hit the afterburner and get out as fast as I can.

Originally posted by Oggy
Yeah, but origin got wise to this strategy for WCIV, therefore, they programmed the carriers to make frequent turns if a ship tried to attack the launch bay,

Like THAT would do any good?... A big slug like a carrier couldn't turn fast *enough* for that maneuver to do much good, it would seem...

I doubt engineers that far ahead in time would be dumb enough to allow enemies to creep into the launch bay area without some heavy-duty defenses. I would have some fast-closing blast doors and a controllable EMP field set up on the inside. That way, any would be heroes could be trapped and captured.

Engineers in sci-universes aren't exactly infallible. The Death Star was taken our by a single fighter, as was the Vesuvius.

Best, Raptor

Well, the Death Star II and the Midway were both made to rule out the weaknesses of their predecessors. The Death Star II had "pores" along it's surface to release exhaust, instead of a single port and the Midway has 6 tiny launch bays that can work indivdually.

So instead of being taken out by a single fighter, the Death Star II was taken out by a single fighter and a freighter. :p

As for the Midway, though, I agree, it's a heck of a lot less vulnerable than the Vesuvius is.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Raptor
Engineers in sci-universes aren't exactly infallible. The Death Star was taken our by a single fighter, as was the Vesuvius.

Best, Raptor

Vesuvius was only taken out by a single fighter in the sense that *every* ship is eventually taken out by a single fighter. Quite a few capships and many, many fighter craft were destroyed in the running battle to take out Vesuvius.

Originally posted by Preacher

Like THAT would do any good?... A big slug like a carrier couldn't turn fast *enough* for that maneuver to do much good, it would seem...

Have you ever seen the vesuvius do its mad crazy evasive manuevers???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back