little help with a debate.

These people are idiots, though. The best thing you can do is, at all costs, avoid becoming like them.

You've got a bunch of grown men who analyize a childrens movie. Now, before you cry fowl -- I think that's great. I think that's pretty damn cool. I love and obsess over lots of stupid, pointless things. I have nothing against that. It's great.

But here you have a bunch of people who have, somehow, binded their own pathetically lacking egos to the abilities of their fictional weapons. To the point that they will now disregard all logic to make sure they have the 'most powerful' spaceship.

You see a model space ship blow up a rock? Well, that rock must have been a solid object made of the strongest element in the universe! That means Star Wars lasers have the power of a million billion atomic bombs! It just doesn't come up much in the movies!

They will tell you this with a straight face. The other guy in the debate is then supposed to do the same thing with his favorite series ("The Enterprise vaporizes an asteroid in episode so-and-so! That means a 2hooblogramx^128 of physical energy is being displaced!"). Then they call eachother liars for fifty pages of text.

And they *honestly* believe that inane crap like this is a 'scientific' analysis and a rational 'debate' about whatever their favorite series is.

Avoid being like them! They are the saddest people in the universe. If you have to debate with them -- and the lure is strong, I admit -- then claim only what you can *explicitly* prove is true, not what you *want* to be true.

And don't even bother pointing out how little any of their 'science' is -- they just won't get it.

Behemoth. Death Star. Both are capable of eradicating an inhabited planet with one shot. Neither has been claimed to be capable of destroying a target LARGER than an inhabited planet with one shot, which implies that their per-shot destructive force is comparable.

Originally posted by Ijuin
Behemoth. Death Star. Both are capable of eradicating an inhabited planet with one shot. Neither has been claimed to be capable of destroying a target LARGER than an inhabited planet with one shot, which implies that their per-shot destructive force is comparable.

No it isn't... it comes down to the limitations of the Behemoth. It's more of an iffy planet destroyer that goes about things by asking the planet to destroy itself, if it wouldn't mind too much. If you read the novel it's made rather clear that the Behemoth may or may not be able to destroy a tectonically stable planet, they really aren't sure.

Any person who responds to this with an argument about the Death Star gets thwacked.

Originally posted by Delance
MHwhahaha... This debate is one of the funniest links recently posted on this forum. Thanks! :)
I second that. Those people are just so sad, they're funny :)

--Eder

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
These people are idiots, though. The best thing you can do is, at all costs, avoid becoming like them.

You've got a bunch of grown men who analyize a childrens movie. Now, before you cry fowl -- I think that's great. I think that's pretty damn cool. I love and obsess over lots of stupid, pointless things. I have nothing against that. It's great.

But here you have a bunch of people who have, somehow, binded their own pathetically lacking egos to the abilities of their fictional weapons. To the point that they will now disregard all logic to make sure they have the 'most powerful' spaceship.

You see a model space ship blow up a rock? Well, that rock must have been a solid object made of the strongest element in the universe! That means Star Wars lasers have the power of a million billion atomic bombs! It just doesn't come up much in the movies!

They will tell you this with a straight face. The other guy in the debate is then supposed to do the same thing with his favorite series ("The Enterprise vaporizes an asteroid in episode so-and-so! That means a 2hooblogramx^128 of physical energy is being displaced!"). Then they call eachother liars for fifty pages of text.

And they *honestly* believe that inane crap like this is a 'scientific' analysis and a rational 'debate' about whatever their favorite series is.

Avoid being like them! They are the saddest people in the universe. If you have to debate with them -- and the lure is strong, I admit -- then claim only what you can *explicitly* prove is true, not what you *want* to be true.

And don't even bother pointing out how little any of their 'science' is -- they just won't get it.

i've been debating for a while, long before wongs site ever went up and it used to be very fun, you used to get silly debates about could R2D2 kick datas ass ect... and it was good fun both sides talking and debates ideas..

after wongs site went up though it because a quoting match, which star wars fan could quote wongs site the best and so on and most people lost interest myself included. how can you win againist somebody who simply quotes and believes in those quotes so blindly because they don't understand them that they just counter your arguements with more quotes?

as it is now I just hang about and talk about other sci fi shows lot more interesting.

Realistically though, the confederation blew up an entire planet with a torpedo/bomb strapped to a small fighter. In star wars they had to construct a base bigger than anyone had ever seen just to house the weapon. What I'm saying is star wars' way was overkill. Let me put it this way, I can take a playing card and fold it over a couple of times, then take a pair of scissors and cut through it a few times, or I can strap dynamite to it. Either way the job gets done.

well, you could say what confed did in wc3 with the temblor bomb on kilrah was the same luke did with an xwing in the death star

wait a minute...the guy firing the proton torpedoes down the Death Star`s shaft after a trench run and the guy shooting the temblor bomb down Kilrah`s rift after a trench run was the same person!

mmm...

The behemoth still wouldn't have been as much overkill as the deathstar. Not even going into size and manueverability, the behemoth still couldn't have blown up just any planet. For instance, if those same pair of scissors were used on a metal plate not much would happen, but dynamite would have still taken it out.

The Plot requires the Planetkiller to kill planets. That's it.

The Behemoth failed for dramatic effect, and so did the Death Star. Both were planet-killers doomed by design, with stupid fatal flaws.

For all intents and purposes, the same trench run scene was used on the Trench Run on WC3 or the final scenes of ID4.

There’s no science to it. The Death Star II was useless to destroy a small rebel fleet that was already outnumbered and outgunned by the imperial fleet. And the “orders to don’t engage” thing doesn’t hold because the rebels did engage them.

That’s just it. It’s irrelevant to discuss science on this. No one who writes this stuff gives a rat’s ass about science. Any SW “scientific” argument is stupid, because the makers of this universe make it clear that they use “SW physics”, where Watto can fly and Dooku’s solar scalier is useful, something they know would not be true in the real universe. Real fanboys should know this stuff is on the commentary on the DVDs.

It’s fiction. Just write: “LMG’s happy planet killer, a ship with twice the power of the Death Star” and you automatically have a starship twice as powerful as theirs, regardless of anything they say.

The solution might be to outsmart them. The more insane, the better. Paradoxes are welcome. Since, on the WC universe, Star Wars is just a movie and the Behemoth is real, of course it’s more powerful. We know this snice Maniac recognizes Blair as someone who looked like Mark Hammil, an actor who played Luke Skywalker on Star Wars. Maniac doesn’t know he is Mark Hammil, because he’s a fictional character. So, for the WC universe, WC is real and SW is fictional. We can’t know if WC will be real or not on SW, but we surely know SW is fiction on WC, so, this must be the truth, since a real universe can’t be a fictional one of the fictional one, and the fictional one can’t be real while it’s fictional and not real, and vice versa. Then you’ll melt their brains and end the debate.

The solution might be to outsmart them. The more insane, the better. Paradoxes are welcome. Since, on the WC universe, Star Wars is just a movie and the Behemoth is real, of course it’s more powerful. We know this snice Maniac recognizes Blair as someone who looked like Mark Hammil, an actor who played Luke Skywalker on Star Wars. Maniac doesn’t know he is Mark Hammil, because he’s a fictional character. So, for the WC universe, WC is real and SW is fictional. We can’t know if WC will be real or not on SW, but we surely know SW is fiction on WC, so, this must be the truth, since a real universe can’t be a fictional one of the fictional one, and the fictional one can’t be real while it’s fictional and not real, and vice versa. Then you’ll melt their brains and end the debate.

Heh heh. That was awesome. :cool:

The Death Star II was useless to destroy a small rebel fleet that was already outnumbered and outgunned by the imperial fleet. And the “orders to don’t engage” thing doesn’t hold because the rebels did engage them.
I still say the Rebels could have hid behind some Star Destroyers to avoid being fired on by the Death Star, or just manoeuvre to the other side of the beastly thing. But, of course, it was just a movie...

Just write: “LMG’s happy planet killer...”
Wow, I haven't heard of them in a while. :)

Oh, and Delance, please spell Mark Hamill's name correctly. ;)

It has been speculated that a lot of the elements in WC3 were patterned after Star Wars Episode IV. Both have a planet-busting "ultimate weapon" that gets destroyed by enemy fighters due to a fatal flaw just before it is able to take out its most important target. Both stories also have the climactic scene being Mark Hamill flying a fighter in a deadly trench run to deliver a bomb to EXACTLY the one spot that is vulnerable enough to allow destruction of the enemy base of operations.

Now all we need is a shot of Paladin shouting "Use the force, Blair!"

Back