Landreich

...I prefer the downward impale myself...

Attachments

• landreich-imp-down-tccgi.jpg
    landreich-imp-down-tccgi.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 173
  • landreich-imp-up-tccgi.jpg
    landreich-imp-up-tccgi.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 162
Here's my latest take on the flag.

The combined forces logo has a sort of circular arrangement of the stars so I tried something similar also in line with the 13 star US flag. I recreated the sword from the combined forces logo (was it gold? I could only find a black and white copy of the logo). With the long hilt it looks better impaling from above. I don't think it will look as pretty from the side as you'll lose the symmetry.

Attachments

• and now for something completely different.png
    and now for something completely different.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 184
Good work Wildcat, but could we get a version with the upward sword as well? I like the star arrangement. It definitely looks like something Kruger would have gone gah-gah over.

Good work Wildcat, but could we get a version with the upward sword as well? I like the star arrangement. It definitely looks like something Kruger would have gone gah-gah over.

Sure, here you go.

Attachments

• and now for something completely different - upwards sword.png
    and now for something completely different - upwards sword.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 176
well with the sword point up it looks more like a battle ready sword, like when generals used to order a charge theyd hold their swords up over their heads. With the point down it looks like the sword is on its way to its scabbard. I like it better up.

Also for the impale part, I always figured the sword came up through the centre of the cross, with little rips in the cross where it went through.

well with the sword point up it looks more like a battle ready sword, like when generals used to order a charge theyd hold their swords up over their heads. With the point down it looks like the sword is on its way to its scabbard. I like it better up.

And King Arthur's magical sword was impaled downward into a rock. Also, a typical killing blow is a downward stroke, impaling a foe on the ground with your blade.

Aesthetically the downward sword is superior. The upward sword has terrible tangencies and is pretty boring.

However, the description does say it is upward, so I guess figure out a way to make it look good :p

Here's my latest take on the flag.

The combined forces logo has a sort of circular arrangement of the stars so I tried something similar also in line with the 13 star US flag. I recreated the sword from the combined forces logo (was it gold? I could only find a black and white copy of the logo). With the long hilt it looks better impaling from above. I don't think it will look as pretty from the side as you'll lose the symmetry.

Nice, that looks great.

It looks really nice.

A couple of personal aestethic quibbles:

The St. Andrew's cross looks far too thin and fragile; less of an imposing symbol of strength and more like a pair of twigs about to be shattered by the massive sword in the center. Most every depiction of the cross has it much thicker; the Scottish flag is roughly representative of the proportions (although of course I wouldn't hesitate to thicken or thin it slightly based on the interplay between it and the stars.)

I also have some issue with the sword; given the estrangement between Confed and the Landreich, and in particular the latter's delight at snubbing the former whenever possible (not to mention Kruger's personal animosity), it seems more than a bit implausible that they'd copy verbatim a primary symbol of the Confederation-led alliance on their flag (and given Fleet Action and False Colors, it seems clear that the Landreich was never a formal ally of the Confederation.)

On a more purely aesthetic level, the sword design looks rather too complex for the flag given the simplicity of the other elements; perhaps a simple cross-hilt-and-pointed-blade would work better?

Finally, here's a comprehensive list of US star arrangements, although I think you've reached a nice arrangement there: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/us-ststr.html

Now that we've got the Landreich flag (nice work BTW), what does the Landreich roundel look like? I'm hoping to do a Landreich campaign for Saga.

Also, do the novels mention what colour the Landreich ships were painted? (e.g. Confed ships were blue and Borderworld ships were red)

@Death: I can't find those pictures in the Pioneer forum. :(

EDIT: He must have moved his pics over to www.hedfiles.net/~hday/
I found a pic of the scim: http://www.hedfiles.net/~hday/scim20.jpg

And based on that, I created this with a graphing program (The second attached image is the alpha channel)

Attachments

• Landreichroundel.png
    Landreichroundel.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Roundelalpha.png
    Roundelalpha.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 166
I also have some issue with the sword; given the estrangement between Confed and the Landreich, and in particular the latter's delight at snubbing the former whenever possible (not to mention Kruger's personal animosity), it seems more than a bit implausible that they'd copy verbatim a primary symbol of the Confederation-led alliance on their flag (and given Fleet Action and False Colors, it seems clear that the Landreich was never a formal ally of the Confederation.)

I think we changed it for the opposite reason - the combined forces logo appears after the Battle of Earth at a specific time when the Confederation really, really likes the Landreich. My thinking was that the *Confederation* might have taken the sword from the Landreich as a gesture of good will for the allied symbol.

Back