Lance Casey

Apart from WC Arena WC4 was the latest game I ever played, universe kinda fell apart in my eyes without the cats to scrap with and arrogant Tolwyn dead so never met this Casey fellow

While my sentiments for the direction they went are similar, the games are still fun and still very much Wing Commander and worth playing if you like the franchise at all. I especially had a lot of fun times with WCSO over the years. The only real sour point about WCP - and you'd agree if you play them - is that they didn't shoot off with another trilogy to develop it all.

Yes, someone is clearly aware that there was no love lost for Petrarca at Origin... (although I think the comment is as much making fun of Origin for having cast him as the space hero in the first place.)

Forgive my ignorance, but what was the beef between Petrarca and Origin?

I also sort of fit in with Casey. Even though I played some of the other games with my dad, Prophecy was the first game I think I played from start to finish by myself. I mean the series is literally as old as I am, so I kind of grew up with Blair being a hero I could only see, whereas Casey I actually connected with.

That's interesting, it must have added to your experience when you played Prophecy for the first time.

I learned his first name was Lance from this site. Probably did not go through the manuals that well at the time, but I'm sure it's there.

As for casting Casey, well Mark Hamill was perfect portraying "bluehair"(or dipstick?), aged, wise yet innocent and generally a nice guy I think. Casey was just too much of a generic "redshirt" to leave any lasting impression, and from what I find on the internet about him, not such a big success as an actor..

I no way mean to imply that the game wasn't any good after all I never played it, there was a number of reasons why I didnt pick it up post wc4, college, work, relationships all took prority over my life at that point in time so I just realy didnt get round to it, pluss the fact that after dealing with the cats and a rouge faction! it just didnt jump out and grab my attention so i left it. I have however done something that will probably please some on here and thats ordered a copy of Prophecy (long time comming and needed to complete my collection) due to the interrest sparked by recently finding this site

You can download Secret Ops (the game after WCP) legally for free from the CIC. Here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got Prophecy gold on the way, I beleive it comes with all the episodes for Secret Ops

Yes WCP Gold includes all the SO episodes, however it is typically fairly expensive compared to the normal version of WCP. With the SO eps now available from the CIC however, the value of WCP Gold has dropped. Perhaps the only real benefit of it now is the improved manual that comes with the game, otherwise it's cheaper just to get the normal WCP and download the SO eps from here.

no from amazon £15 was under the normal wcp section though but under the seller info it said it was the gold vesion with all the stuff in good condition just slight ware on the box

Lance Casey = Plebe, did his mum know he joined up, did he get lost on the way to get some milk and walk into the recruiting office by mistake? good job I (blair) was there to remote fly his ship to get the mission done!!! ~~~. Not a bad game, severe lack of fmv plot to help immerse you into the caractar and no choices ether whats that about. wont say about the flight sections cos as I had guessed as great as ever, but I do like fighting the cats at least the had charactar un like these bug things.

Lance Casey is the son of famous wartime pilot Michael "Iceman" Casey. He's a plebe because he's fresh out of the academy.

Back when WCP originally came out they were trying to be a bit more like WC1, which means not overloading on the movie sequences that were the core of WC4 to an extent.

I actually think the Nephilim do have character as you move through WCP. You have to remember you are literally some of the first people to see the Nephilim, whereas in WC1, Confed had been fighting the Kilrathi for well over a decade.

So they was trying to be like WC1, cutting down on the FMV thats not a bad thing cut down on production costs but WC1 you always had a Shotglass to talk to as well as 2 pilots if you hadent got them killed. where as probably 40% of this game was finish mission and all I could do was clich through to next mission as nothing else to interact with (apart from sim and scoreboard) to get a personal touch on things.

I know Casey background but good old "blue hair" was never that young and innocent when he joined the "claw" (thinks could be down to the mentoring from vets like Iceman, Spirit, Pladin, bossman, Hunter and angel what has Lance got Maniac!!!)

What character do they have they are all the same they are like ants one is like the other, at least with the cats you had individuals in there ranks as well so you can identify with them where as the Nephilim are just a constant stream of drones

So they was trying to be like WC1, cutting down on the FMV thats not a bad thing cut down on production costs but WC1 you always had a Shotglass to talk to as well as 2 pilots if you hadent got them killed. where as probably 40% of this game was finish mission and all I could do was clich through to next mission as nothing else to interact with (apart from sim and scoreboard) to get a personal touch on things.

That is a fair complaint. They were trying to reduce overall cost, but a few more character interaction scenes would have been nice.

I know Casey background but good old "blue hair" was never that young and innocent when he joined the "claw" (thinks could be down to the mentoring from vets like Iceman, Spirit, Pladin, bossman, Hunter and angel what has Lance got Maniac!!!)

Here I think you are wrong. If anything, Blair was exactly as young and innocent as Lance. Lance has both Maniac and later on Blair himself to mentor him. You also have to remember that in 2681, the galaxy is much quieter than it was in 2654.

What character do they have they are all the same they are like ants one is like the other, at least with the cats you had individuals in there ranks as well so you can identify with them where as the Nephilim are just a constant stream of drones

You don't have a Kilrathi character to identify until the end of SM1, when you see the Emperor and Gilkrag. And the vast majority of the Kilrathi are also drones, we only get a handful of Kilrathi characters.

The Nephilim are also a different enemy and we interact with them less than the Kilrathi because the Kilrathi make appearances in quite a few more products.

Also, are you a non-english speaker? I only ask because some of your grammar and writing makes it hard to decipher what you are trying to say.

Bluehair was a blank slate that very rarely talked outside of briefings and debriefings. Even then his lines were generic to being only contextually different from "How's the weather?" By being an obvious novice, Lance has miles more personality than Bluehair did in WC1. That's perhaps the travesty. WCP was the very mild introduction to a trilogy that never came. Without Prophecy 2 and 3 (for lack of better names) we don't *have* any of the development that Bluehair, the wingmen, and the Kilrathi all received.

The Kilrathi were all copies of each other just like the Nephilim. They didn't even get a unique personality until WC1:SM2 with Thraky. Even then that remained vague until WC2. Again, an undeveloped blank slate for a trilogy that had lots of places to go but never went anywhere.

Sounds like people have forgotten the handfull of Kilrathi Ace's That had names in WC1 yes they was only briefly mentioned in conversations but it gave the whole Kilrathi race character that they had life in them and are not all the same. I know that this was the first contact with the Nephilim and if they was planning on another trilogy why not introduce some of there characters as well as the new confed cadets!

Perhaps they were taking a different approach. Maybe they wanted to make the Nephilim more mysterious, after all they are supposed to be a race of legend for the Kilrathi. Their whole appearance long ago spurred the Kilrathi to the stars (to an extent) and formed a cornerstone of their culture.

We didn't forget about the aces, I just think you are thinking too much about all the overall development the Kilrathi get through quite a few products. The Nephilim only had 2 (well 3 since S*S does mention quite a bit about them).

I must say that I hated casey from the beginning. in my point of view casey is just a boring character with lack of personality. however he develops something like an personality in the later game, for example when he gave therapy to hawk about the cats. I understand, that casey is a plebe from the academy and therefore shy and just a sucker :D, but so is maestro and maestro is well more charismatic than casey. I feel that wc has lost a lot of personification with the swap from blair to random casey. it would have been much more cooler to play as maniac or maestro

the nephs had 2 aces with real names ans personality? where is that passage in SS?

Back