Kilrathi ship design theory, compared to Terran design theory.

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
How different do you suppose the layout for Kilrathi carrier is compared to a Confed carrier? Is there any sort of reference to the design theory of Kilrathi ships, the layout of the bridge engineering etc.?

According to VS, the Kilrathi prefer asymmetrical designs and use designs tha emphasize weapons and engines. Sharp angles will be more common in things likes doors/tables etc... on Kilrathi ships than on human ships. And of course in different colours.

Put simply, the human designs are based off of the habit of building aircraft over many years, hence their aerodynamical design, while the Kilrathi build theirs to intimidate, and their ships look more like weapons of ancient war. I think they all look pretty cool (well, maybe minus the Avenger, IMO).

Human ships emphasise functionality above all else, as they're designed to do the job, first and foremost. Kilrathi ships, on the other hand, are designed for pyschological impact and intimidation as much as for function.

Best, Raptor

The Avenger disproves that, though, Raptor -- as it shows that fighters don't *have* to look like aircraft to get the job done...

The only reason I ask this is because I'm going to try to model several Kilrathi ground bases as well as the Ras Nik'hra in the Marine Force Recon TC for Duke Nukem. Some of the actual wall textures will be similar to what was shown in the movie, because there are some textures that came with Duke 3d that resemble that which was shown in the film. I just want to make sure I get the layout of the ship and ground bases right, at least to a Kilrathi aesthetitic.
I'm also planning on modeling Firekka too, but that is in a later episode.

Well, the game Kilrathi are different than the movie's version. The movie is very bio-mechanical and Giger-like. If you ever saw pictures from the unused footage of WCM, you'd see that the pillars in the bridge were very organic and meaty. Yum! It also has a green gloss to it, probably from that gas they breathe.

The Game version is more red and brown and Earth-toned. Kilrah in WC3 is very much black, and red and dark browns and their carrier is the same. Like stated before, they're very angular and jagged looking. This is probably from their aggressive standpoint on living.

I think the WCM version would be easier for the TC, as it has several Giger ripoff textures. Personally, I'd rather see the game's version though. :)

Lemme know if you need help with Duke3d's Build at all.

Originally posted by Raptor
Human ships emphasise functionality above all else, as they're designed to do the job, first and foremost. Kilrathi ships, on the other hand, are designed for pyschological impact and intimidation as much as for function.

Best, Raptor

Functionality AND aerodynamics, tho' the latter is largely anachronistic (since space fighters needn't consider aerodynamics, as pointed out in several other threads in the past).

But, after centuries (by then) of building AIRcraft, it's understandable we'd take that bias into the cosmos with us (plus they LOOK so much cooler :D )

Originally posted by LeHah
I think the WCM version would be easier for the TC, as it has several Giger ripoff textures. Personally, I'd rather see the game's version though. :)

Well I am copying styles from both the games and the movie. Some elements that use movie similar textures will be older installations or ships. Basically the theory goes that at this point in the history, a year or two after the movie, the Kilrathi have begun to update their fleet and weapons. The same goes for confed. So some levels will have the movie style and others will be more oriented toward the game look. The availble weapons will, hopefully :rolleyes:, will reflect updated elements, i.e. the pistols in WC4, as you pick up stronger weapons. So you will start off with the movie style pistol and eventually be able to move up laser and mass driver weapons as the game progresses.

Lemme know if you need help with Duke3d's Build at all. [/B]
I need all the help I can get! I'm currently working on the first and second levels of the first episode as well as working on the conversion's websites, as well as working on another Duke 3D conversion based on Contra. So if you want to help out let me know and I'll give you an outline of the levels I need done and I'll send you all of the custom art I have so far.
And you'll get your name on the conversion credits! :)

Originally posted by LeHah
Well, the game Kilrathi are different than the movie's version. The movie is very bio-mechanical and Giger-like. If you ever saw pictures from the unused footage of WCM, you'd see that the pillars in the bridge were very organic and meaty. Yum! It also has a green gloss to it, probably from that gas they breathe.

The Game version is more red and brown and Earth-toned. Kilrah in WC3 is very much black, and red and dark browns and their carrier is the same. Like stated before, they're very angular and jagged looking. This is probably from their aggressive standpoint on living.

Lemme know if you need help with Duke3d's Build at all.

IMO, I'd have to imagine that Kilrathi ships and bases would be bigger than terran ones. One because they are significantly taller, and two casue the bigger you are the more intimidating you are.

He's arnold arnold arnold arnold rimmer . . . :D

Shaggy: I'll do some things for you, but I'm gonna need to brush up on my BUILD and dig up my DukeBuild book. My email is in my profile.

The WCM ships such as the rapier seemed like they were stolen from a WW2 book who wants to see one of the oldie ships eh. Frankly i thought they could do a little better with the Kats ships too.

Originally posted by Valor NR
The WCM ships such as the rapier seemed like they were stolen from a WW2 book who wants to see one of the oldie ships eh. Frankly i thought they could do a little better with the Kats ships too.

With the possible exception of the Dralthi, WCM movie ships sucked, period. No if's, and's, or but's. Next question?...:D

Originally posted by Valor NR
Ok so they dump another load of kitty litter ontop of the first pile.

Judging by the smell of some cat owner's houses I know, isn't that how cat owners USUALLY do it?... :D

Back