Kilrathi Saga Recieved!

I played WC3 on a cyrix 486-50 (the equivalent of an intel 386DX-33!
Everything is extremely jerky and jumpy, but I finished it, and I think it's the best WC game ever.
WC2 ranks 2nd in my list, and I played it on a 286-12, 1mb ram. It's funny to see people standing up very slowly after the briefing on that machine.

Yeah, we (my brother and I) got it for christmas too (when it came out). Those were the glorious days where we had to chose "Save Space" for the install instead of "Save Time". Ah, all those memories... :)

Originally posted by frui
I played WC3 on a cyrix 486-50 (the equivalent of an intel 386DX-33!
Everything is extremely jerky and jumpy, but I finished it, and I think it's the best WC game ever.
WC2 ranks 2nd in my list, and I played it on a 286-12, 1mb ram. It's funny to see people standing up very slowly after the briefing on that machine.

Somehow I think a Cyrix 486-50 would be a bit more powerful than a 386. After all, WC3 required a 486 DX50.

Cyrix 486s were still similar to Intel 486s, though I can imagine a 50 would have run WC3 incredibly slow, if at all...
From memory the Cyrix 486 50 was 33MHz... Cyrix always played wierd little games like that... the actual clock speed was a step or so lower than what the chip was named.

I can certainly remember when I first got Wing 3, trying to play it on the 486/66 with a 2x CD drive... each time you went to play a mission, how it would take 2-3 minutes just to load the mission - you would walk away, come back and it would be loaded. Was painful waiting if you ejected or died though.

I heard that loading times could be reduced to 15-30 seconds even on a 486, if you had 16MB RAM.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Yeah, we (my brother and I) got it for christmas too (when it came out). Those were the glorious days where we had to chose "Save Space" for the install instead of "Save Time". Ah, all those memories... :)

No, I always chosed Save Time :p

Yes.. those glorious days of "save time or space"... and those of "Be Careful ! This game require the most powerful computers: a 486 DX 33 is needed".
Damn', I think I changed all my computers because of WC Games !!!:p

Isn't that what was intended to happen with every WC release - pushing people to upgrade their computers? Which is going to be tough for the next WC. <Priv bartender> "What'll they think of next?" </Priv bartender>

Originally posted by frui
The 286 would probably be good for playing WC1, AFAIK, everything from WC1SM2 onwards (excepting P2, I think) is frame limited.

Wing 2 still ran too fast on 486+ computers...
The original version, at least... I seem to remember there being a rereleased/slightly changed version that didn't...
correct me if I'm wrong?

WC2 has a built in speed limiter for inflight stuff... the movies, however, run too quickly.

TC

ah hehe, yeh, I certainly rememeber the movies running too fast - where you see yoruself talking to say, Caernavon in your Ferret, and the right hand edge of the ship is half way across the screen, nothing but black after it... bouncing up and down as it moved forward at some insane speed rather than the normal speed it was supposed to move at :p

as far as i know sm2 does not have a frame limiter, but i think priv 2 does, after all it runs fine on my athlon 900 with 512 mb ram, and thats just a tad over specified for p2 :)

well since P2 doesn't run at the right speed on my machine I am forced to ask... what operating system are you using?

If its win2k I hope winXP runs at the right speed too

P2 does have a limiter... it just either conflicts with lots of things... or with something very common (in other words... it doesn't seem to work for quite a few people)

TC

Originally posted by Madman
As far as I know SM2 does not have a frame limiter...
Some people use the SM2 exec to play their Vega and Sivar campaigns, even though they see Jazz and Doomsday, and Drakhai instead. So apparently it does have a frame limiter, although I've never noticed it myself, since I play WC1 on a 386.

Back