Kilrathi Saga Poppy Sound

Oh dear jesus. I need 20 blessed k of conventional memory.

I used the lines of code you suggested and at my peak of my tinkering I actually had the system boot up. Now, I had enough memory, but no CD ROM support. When I put in the line to actually run the CD ROM drivers, all of asudden BAM 100 and something K of conventional memory gone. I think at one point I actually had everything I needed (Except sound, which, for the love of god, better not take up conventional memory to load) loaded up but I was short 20 fricking K of conventional memory. Have any more suggestions? I am starting to get desperate here. Is there any way to actually SEE what programs are using up that conventional memory? I think its my mouse driver and my CD ROM support. Of course I really dont know what I am talking about. Should I use generic drivers or something?

Help a privateer fan relive the dream. Please.

Please, enough of the rhetorics.

Originally posted by korin-no-seiji
DEVICE=C:\SBCD\DRV\SBIDE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:1F0,14 /V
There's no CD support because you need this line in your config.sys. Preferably with DEVICEHIGH instead of DEVICE.

I think you'll also need to include something like this in your autoexec.bat
LH C:\<DOS or WINDOWS\COMMAND>\MSCDEX.EXE /<you'll need to check the program for parameters>:MSCD001

[Post the results of the command "mem /c", it'll make it easier to see what's hogging conventional memory and what's necessary to run the game.]

Actually, I do have that line in my files. And it I still dont have enough conventional memory. Let me double check to see if I have device high in front of the CD stuff.

This is what I have:

config
DEVICEhigh=C:\windows\himem.sys
DEVICEhigh=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF
stacks=18,256
files=30
buffers=30
LASTDRIVE=Z
DEVICEHIGH=C:\SBCD\DRV\SBIDE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:1F0,14 /V

Autoexec
REM C:\SBCD\DRV\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /V /M:8
@echo off rem
lh c:\windows\smartdrv.exe 2048
lh C:\logitech\mouse\MOUSE.EXE
set comspec=c:\windows\command.com
C:

I tried that, it didnt work.

A note: When my system boots up and it loads my CD ROM driver, it starts saying how it is using bytes of memory.

Also, with my boot disk, no commands work. Mem, or even win for that matter. I think I am missing a link to command.com or something.

You can copy the CD to the HD an edit the *.cfg files,and erase any mention of the CD-ROM from the autoexec and config to gain memory.

Originally posted by korin-no-seiji
Also, with my boot disk, no commands work. Mem, or even win for that matter. I think I am missing a link to command.com or something.
No, no, no. You just haven't specified PATH. You need to either go to the directory necessary or put the following line in your autoexec.bat:

PATH=C:\DOS;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

or something like that. When you type in a command, the system will search the current directory and then the above directories before saying "Bad command or file name".

Thanks wedge!

I did it and here is my memory information (which by the way actually fully boots up off of a disk now).
TOTAL USED FREE
Conventional memory 640k 117k 523k
Upper 0 0 0
Reserved 0 0 0
XMS 261,680 3,013 258,667
Total under 1 MB 640 117 523

Total EMS 16M
Free EMS 16M
Largest Executable 522k
MS DOS is resident in High Memory Area.

You must copy the *.tre files (priv.tre and rf.tre) to the same directory of the Privater installation.Then edit the rf.cfg with the path of the rf.tre file (i.e =c:\privater\rf.tre), do the same with the priv.cfg file (i.e =c:\privater\priv.tre).

Also you can delete the smartdrive line, it will free some memory Kb

I tried it, and some success, got conventional memory down to 76 used, but still not enough to run privateer. Any other suggestions to free up more conventional memory?

I have an asus K7v board if that helps. I am trying to get to the bottom of my boot up sequence. What else is using memory?

You rock.

The smartdrive line was the jerk taking all my memory away along with my CD rom support.

I actually loaded privateer. Sweet holy lord.

Thank you very much. I dont know what smartdrive is, I saw it in someone else's thing so I used it. But no more. Smartdrive sucks.

Now I am going to go try my sound. Expect to hear back from me in about 15 minutes as I am crying and weeping in the fetal position. WEEEEE!!!:p

Smartdrv, IIRC, is like a *cache memory* tha fastens the CPU speed., but today, only is a nuisance !

SmartDRIVE is a hard disk cache, I think. It's not necessary, and will mess up some games, so it would be best to leave it out anyway.

I got my live sound emulation to actually work, but when I fly it sort of pops at every few seconds. Not to whine since I got it to work with your awesome help, but do any of you have SB LIVE boards, and know what I am talking about?

NOW to get the joystick working ! Hu ha ha ha.

Back