Kilrathi Saga Poppy Sound

Hi, I am going nostalgic and am trying to play all the WCK saga over again. I am using a SBLive. WC3 runs great but WC 1 and 2 have Very poppy midi . It's kind of annoying.

I am running an athlon 800 MHZ with 128 ram. WIN 98.

Also, is there anyway to fix the blinding speed at which WC 1 and 2 run at? It kind of cuts off music and makes the peoples mouths move really fast.

Thanks to anyone that may be able to help me :DVery poppy midi

Ehh, WC1 and 2 don't have MIDI in the KS version <G> But it's probably some wacky DirectSound issue that other people can help you with.

As for the speed thing... which is one of many issues... people need to realize that KILRATHI SAGA WC2 SUCKS. It has horrible problems (enemy shields don't show up, parts run too fast, some pieces of music are missing... etc, etc). They just didn't put much work into it -- KS *isn't* worth the $300 extra dollars to get a WC2 that runs in Win9x. (KS WC1 is free... normal WC3 goes for about ten dollars...).

Ehh, WC2 can run in Win9x as fine as WC3. :) If only I grabbed that WC1KS... Hey! I can borrow it from my cousin. :)

But isn't the updated music for WC2 worth some trouble as well? (For those of you who aren't that nostalgic)

This should really be in the tech support zone... therefore, I shall put it in the tech support zone.

TC

Goody! Now we have two threads about the same problem... in the same forum! Bonus! :)

Sorry, we all have our insensibilities every now and then...

Yeah! I noticed that some music was missing, like when jazz was supposed to be playing piano!

Here's the problem, I can go get a WC2 deluxe ED for dos, but I cant get my fricking DOS memory to work right. Long story short, I finally made a boot disk that will load my CD drive, mouse drive, and im sure my SB LIVE is going to have a million problems so I havent even begun to worry about that yet. Anyway, I can't seem to get memory allocated right.

I put in that EMM386 line that everyone has been using but I dont think it sets my memory to 16 meg like it's supposed to. When I try to run privateer ( or any other dos prog with my boot disk ) I get an error that says I don't have enough memory. I type MEM and it says I have a huge amount of memory. The simple fact of the matter is that I dont know how to configure memory under dos.

As for the poppy sound, you are right, I guess it wouldnt be midi in the WCK saga, but I am using a SBLIVE, so what kind of direct sound issues would there be?

Post your system files, I'm sure someone will work it out.

What happens in those scenes, do you get silence? I know there is silence in SO1, when Paladin leaves for Sharm, and just before the second/third/whatever Kilrathi fleet attacks Olympus. Probably for dramatic effect.

Hi!

Yes, on the scenes where the music is missing you just get silence. It totally sucks. And its not for dramatic effect either, it's just music that is supposed to be there is missing. At first I thought it was just me, but now that someone else mentioned it, I think it is definitely true.

I will post my config sys and stuff tomorrow, I must sleep now. I have been tinkering with my damn computer for like 5 hours now. Thanks though for the reply!

No, no, no, I was just saying the scenes at Olympus in SO1 had silence for dramatic effect. At first I thought it was a bug.

But, yeah, that would suck not having music in the observation deck. As sucky as Jazz might be for being a Mandarin, he does play the piano well. (Or perhaps I should be crediting Fatman instead. :))

Originally posted by korin-no-seiji

I put in that EMM386 line that everyone has been using but I dont think it sets my memory to 16 meg like it's supposed to. When I try to run privateer ( or any other dos prog with my boot disk ) I get an error that says I don't have enough memory. I type MEM and it says I have a huge amount of memory. The simple fact of the matter is that I dont know how to configure memory under dos.

It could be that your memory is configured as EMS and not XMS, to convert it type 'memmaker' (possibly 'memaker') at the command line in DOS, the screen will go blue and prompt you to confirm that you wish to convert memory, press y and press space, then follow the onscreen instructions. to change memory back to EMS, just repeat the above sequence. Hope this helps:)

Eww, yuck, I don't like memmaker. ;)

If you're using EMM386, the only reason you won't have EMS is if the argument NOEMS is in the command line.

My problems today:

I am using win98, I boot up and then hit F8 and go to command prompt only. I then run a special autoexec bat file on a disk that loads up all of my dos mouse drivers and stuff. Now, I can get the 16 megs of EMS going, but when I try to run the game it says. NOT ENOUGH DOS memory. I read earlier that some people were using WIN 98 to fake some sort of dos boot, and thats what I am trying to do. For some reason my computer wont restart in DOS mode without locking up, and I cant boot up in DOS right off the disk. I have to hit F8 and then hit command prompt only. But if that's the case, is it actually using the config.sys in my C:\ directory that has that setver= windows line in it? Maybe that has something to do with it?

The bottom line is that I have to figure out how to get enough DOS memory. The EMM386 line worked to get me 16 megs of that I think, but it said not enough DOS memory. Do I need conventional memory? I am aware of memmaker, but keep in mind that I am running in win98. I do have dos on hand, could I try running both OS' on the same computer with simply switching autoexec/ config files?

You shouldn't need to keep swapping system files - you can set them up to have options, but most people find a bootdisk is simpler. Just post your system files and your output from the command "mem /c".

Or you could try using the Win98 Startup disk and modifying the system files on that if you want a bootdisk for DOS.

I would love to just boot up off of a disk, but for some reason my computer wont do two things: ONE: Restart in DOS mode. TWO: Boot up off of a disk. It is possible that the autoexec that I have in there is wierd since I made it up myself. So you suggest creating a WINDOWS startup disk and then start playing around with the files and adding my DOS CD-ROM, SOUND, MOUSE, and hopefully if god is willing, memory settings?

I will post what I have tonight, but what config sys file do I use, the one that is on the C drive, or the one that's on the disk? If I am hitting F8 to start up with command prompt, isn't it using the config.sys that is on the C drive?

A boot from a disk should be automatic - the computer should check if there is a disk in the drive at the start, if there is a disk in there, it will attempt to use it as a bootdisk.

An F8 command boot (which is what I use) uses the config.sys and autoexec.bat from the hard disk.

Here is stuff for you nevermind the sound stuff, and sometimes I link to files on the actuall A drive because I am kind of screwing around, I could actually link to the same file on the C drive if it made any difference.

Autoexec
@echo off rem
path=c:\windows\command
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:F MODE:0
set BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\sbdos
lh C:\SBdos\SBEINIT.COM
lh c:\windows\smartdrv.exe 2048
SET LMOUSE=C:\MOUSE
C:\logitech\mouse\MOUSE.EXE
set comspec=a:\command.com
C:

Config
devicehigh a:\himem.sys
DEVICEhigh=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF
stacks=18,256
fileshigh=30
buffershigh=30
LASTDRIVE=Z

Thats what's on my disk, but when I hit F8 I guess its actually loading this:
Config
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe
DEVICE=C:\SBCD\DRV\SBIDE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:1F0,14 /V
Then I insert the disk into my A drive and run the autoexec file for all my DOS support.

I have to hit F8 because my computer totally freezes whenever I just try to use a floppy or restart in DOS mode.

So thats the total of my fragmented crap, when I try to load priv.exe, it says NOT ENOUGH DOS MEMORY.

Since a boot disk isnt working, should I just replace the config sys file on my C drive with the one I have on my A drive? Will that fix the memory problem? Or if not, what is DOS memory if it isnt the massive amount of memory I have in my computer.

You still need to explain why your computer can't boot up from a disk.

DOS memory is conventional memory - ie the first 640kB (some silly person long ago decided that's all we would need for computers!) Type mem /c and you'll get a full breakdown of what's in memory.

Try lh C:\logitech\mouse\MOUSE.EXE in your autoexec.bat

I cant explain why it wont, it kind of pisses me off. I am going to really play with my file settings tonight when I get home. Does anyone know exactly how much conventional memory Privateer needs? I think last time I checked I only had like 500k free.

Back