Kilrathi Mythology

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
Has anybody tried researching, and putting together, a guide to Kilrathi mythological characters. Or is Sivar the only god they have?
I'm wondering because I've seen Sivar referred to as the God of the running death, which sort of infers more gods like George the god of Muffins.:D

For one thing, apparently Sivar is a goddess, though I find that hard to believe... :)

Originally posted by mpanty
For one thing, apparently Sivar is a goddess, though I find that hard to believe... :)
Maybe it's kinda like the "God is one, but in three persons" thing :). You know, as in, Sivar is both a god and a goddess (since I'm pretty sure there was, somewhere, a reference to Sivar being a god).

A god doesn't need to be male. A goddess does need to be female. There isn't really anything that says that there needs to be a male incarnation of the goddess... Especially considering the fact that there was a male Prophet of Sivar who is also widely worshipped that usages of the male pronoun can be attributed to.

TC

Firstoff, the Kilrathi have multiple Gods -- the God of the Running Death referenced in False Colors isn't Sivar... (Sivar is the War God(dess).

What about the fact they call Sivar, Lord Sivar, wouldn't that imply he's male? (I asked this already once but I forgot the answer).
And if this means anything (which I doubt) IIRC, all German translations refer to Sivar as being male.

There are lots of religions that see one god with different aspects or representations, some male and some female

for example, wicca worships a goddess that represents nature, which is also a god, that represents the animals
at the same time, that goddess has 3 representations, Maiden, Mother and Crone

The kilrathi might see Sivar as having different "faces", one of them male and another female
Also, it could simply be that different cultures/religions see Sivar as a different sexs. Sivar could very much mean "god" translated literally, and simply be the kilrathi word used to mean main god or something like that

Another posibility is that when it was refered to as goddess, it was refering to an entirelly diferent god (I really dont remember where it is mentioned as female, but since I just re-read end run, fleet actions and false colors, Im guessing its in action stations)

An important note here is that females are the keepers of the Kilrathi religion (as seen by their priestesses). Sivar may be seen as a female in this case simply because of the culture related to females as keepers of the faith, to be talked about as a goddess

But to tell you the truth, the first positibily is the one that seems more probable

K

Originally posted by TC
A god doesn't need to be male. A goddess does need to be female. There isn't really anything that says that there needs to be a male incarnation of the goddess... Especially considering the fact that there was a male Prophet of Sivar who is also widely worshipped that usages of the male pronoun can be attributed to.

TC

Or maybe all Kilrathi are hermaphrodites who are chosen to take on masculine or feminine traits by the church. Maybe Sivar was a prophet who chose to be both, thus uniting the hitherto bitter battle between the sexes and establishing the Kilrathi's role as conquerors of the stars. And maybe I'm really Elvis Presley writing this from my secret military bunker in Kyoto.

Maybe Sivar is a surname?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
'Lord' simply means God in that sense.

Not necessarily: In Spanish, "Senor" (with that stupid ~ thing over the "n" that I can't figure out how to do on this board) can be used to mean the equivalent of (in English):

"Mister", an everyday form of address to an adult male, esp. one you don't know on a first name basis
(such as my neighbor, Senor Gonzales), or

"Lord", in the sense of a formal title given or accorded to someone of nobility or high social standing
("Quick, notify Lord Vader that Skywalker has entered the Death Star"), or

"Lord", in the sense of addressing our Creator
(El Senor Jesucristo)

Thus, "Lord" is not as clear cut of a title as it seems...

Cat Parallels

Sivar is a goddess - at least, I've always understood her to be. Anyone who knows anything about Terran cats will see why this is so. Female cats are the hunters and the killers - thus Sivar, a War God, would be a hunter and killer (the God of the Running Death).

Male cats sit around and look good. :D

Back