Kilrathi life expectancy?

Originally posted by Dark Knight
Kilrathi life expectancy is very short when they're flying around me, IF you know what I mean.

Heh. That does raise an interesting point. Would the trillions of losses taken by both sides have had a major impact on the average life expectance (as opposed to the *natural* life expectancy) during thw war? Or was the population so big that those losses were just a blip?

Best, Raptor

I'm pretty sure these kind of losses would definitely affect the average life expectancy ;). Not to mention making those huge indents on population pyramids for high school geography students to analyse... :)

Doubtful... you know, what with all those Vega, Deneb and Enigma colonies getting incinerated repeatedly... :)

Though it should also be pointed out that what professions died the most is irrelevant when we're looking at statistics for the entire race.

[Edited by Quarto on 05-10-2001 at 15:09]

One thourogh strike on a populated planet could cause higher civilian casulties than military casulties in a major battle.

Also killing a planet does a lot of damage to the civilian populations. THe destruction of Kilrah deffinitely had an effect on the average life expectancy.

And keep in mind that in the Battle of Terra, there were many times more civilian than military casualties. If the two sides were similarly indiscriminate in other battles, the civilian losses would be massive.

Best, Raptor

I think a more interesting question to ask here, would be what is the life expectancy of HUMANS in the 27th century?..

Because, considering that presently the expectancy is around 75 years for males, and 83 for females, and the rate of increase is 2.5 years every 10 years (or 4 months every month), we would expect the life expectancy in 2600 to be
150 years more than now ([600 years/10 years]*2.5 years), hence 225 years for males and 233 for females!!!!

Of course, this seems unlikely, but what biological standard tells us that there should be a "maximum" threshold that expectancy can achieve? Mmmh? :confused:

What is your opininon on that?

The known records for human ages in the WCU are 156 years and 419 years. The latter was an isolated case which involved constant organ replacement...

AHA! So people who say "yeah well, they couldn't use Blair in Prophecy as the hero 'cause he was getting too old" are just plain wrong!!
Unless Blair was actually older than he appears to be (in OUR timeframe, the timeframe of PC players)...

How old was Blair when he got out of the academy?.. His fellow pilot mates are all in their twenties (except Iceman and Paladin), but that's still quite young...
So there is NO WAY Blair could retire for old age, considering WC4 ends... what? 15-30 years after WC1... :)

We seem to have a problem here...

[Edited by mpanty on 05-11-2001 at 11:28]

People age and lose their abilities at the same rate -- Blair would be as unfit to fly at 50 as someone today would be... but he could be kept alive far longer by science.

Blair was born in 2630 -- he was 24 when assigned to the Tiger's Claw, 43 in WC4 and 51 during Prophecy.

Ok... but the exception 419 year cas you cite LOAF, involved "organ-replacement"...
Therefore, the 156 year life-span should not require too much medical intervention, well I mean antibiotics, pills and the such, but it seems highly unlikely that the cells would age at today's same rate, meaning that an old guy of say, 70 years old, in 2600 would appear the same way of a person the same age right now... EXCEPT that the guy from 2600 would live for 70 more years THAT OLD, as if he had reached a "threshold" of ageing...
:confused:

Basically LOAF, from what I understood, you're saying that people age the same way, but then science can "keep" them alive for a lot longer?
Mmmmh... well, it's not impossible, sounds quite fair even... but don't you think that by 2600, scientists would have found a way to decrease the aging process of cells... to the point that a 100 year old guy fom 2600 woul actually look like a 66 year old from now?
Don't you think this makes sense too? :)

I would say that by the 26th century our bodies would age slower than they do now. I would think that a 70 year old then would have roughly the same ability as a 40 year old now. If not due to better medical practices, then due to genetic engineering! Fresh cells could probably be injected rejuvenating the body in centuries to come...

I guess its all speculative though :(

No, I don't think there's any reason to think that we'll be able to *stop* aging -- the reason the maximum life span continues to increase is because we're living *better* -- diseases are being conquered, people are in less danger from their environment and so forth... to actually make people age *slower* would be a major genetic change.

Ok, I didn't specify any *way* in which this was done, but as redwolf said... imagine what GE could do (and "E" stands for Engineering, not Enhancement).

After all LOAF, scientists have 600 years... ;)

First off, as LOAF's a bio major and you guys aren't, it's not wise to argue with him on matters concerning biology....

There's a limit to how long cells can live. There are cells that are immortal, and these cells are called cancer cells. You can't inject fresh cells into a body and rejuvenate it...the brain has a limit on how long it can go on, and you couldn't "transfer" your knowledge into a new one or something, as that wouldn't be "you".

Individual organs, a lot of times the heart, are the first thing to go out. Therefore, replacing organs would make a person live longer. I laugh whenever I see "She was at normal health, for a 130 year old" because it's bunk. You'd be blind and deaf at 130...the longest confirmed time a person has ever lived was 122 years.

We can't live forever and we can't live much more than a century. So get used to it...until we evolve into luminous beings of light, we're stuck.

And the "E" stands for Enhancement. Blair mentions the "Genetic Enhancement" program.

[Edited by Nep Parth on 05-11-2001 at 17:09]

Okkkaaaayyy... some people are just really annoying when their heads get swollen, so I'm going to have to put a few things into place (no I'm not being arrogant, because Nep was referring to ME).
Originally posted by Nep Parth
First off, as LOAF's a bio major and you guys aren't, it's not wise to argue with him on matters concerning biology....
FIRST OFF... LOAF is majoring in Marine and Freshwater Biology, as his profile says, a different subject mind you, than "Biology".
That doesn't mean of course he doesn't know anything about Genetics, it just means you should check your sources before opening your mouth, especially since if you would have bothered to check up my profile, you would know that I AM studying in a Biology major...
Secondly who tells ya that redwolf isn't studying biology as well?
There's a limit to how long cells can live. There are cells that are immortal, and these cells are called cancer cells. You can't inject fresh cells into a body and rejuvenate it... the brain has a limit on how long it can go on, and you couldn't "transfer" your knowledge into a new one or something, as that wouldn't be "you".
Studies have been made on this... people have been obsessed with the desire of prolonging their life for eons, immortality has been the dream of millions and millions of people...
It is theoretically possible, if we find what genes regulate cell ageing, to slow down, and possibly stop the process... even cancer cells could be turned into "benign" by changing the right gene... Genetic Engineering offers an enormous amount of possibilities...
So saying
We can't live forever and we can't live much more than a century. So get used to it...until we evolve into luminous beings of light, we're stuck.
completely shuts down even the *possibility* of prolonging life, a rather bold statement since we absolutely have no idea what the world would look like in 600 years...
(well, not exactly, Chris Roberts gave us a pretty good idea... :))
And the "E" stands for Enhancement. Blair mentions the "Genetic Enhancement" program.
Hence why I stated it meant "Engineering" in MY SENTENCE... but you obviously did not notice that since you were too eager to correct my "mistake"... :)

Ehh, my profile hasn't been updated since I lived in Texas, I'm just a general Bio major right now.

Back