Kilrathi life expectancy?

No, they don't live as long as humans -- the *most* a Kilrathi can expect to live is to his late 70s.

I just thought that as the Emperor had a replaced limb and eye his life expectancy has been perhaps cut shorter than that of the average Kilrathi. And ruling an empire surely is stressful, taking another couple of years :).

Neither of those things would really have any impact on his life span -- he's a pampered ruler who has left the ruling to others since '34. :) Barring assasination, (and given the fact that he expected to die of old age in '69), the Emperor should be just about as old as a cat can get.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I just thought that as the Emperor had a replaced limb and eye his life expectancy has been perhaps cut shorter than that of the average Kilrathi. And ruling an empire surely is stressful, taking another couple of years :).

OOOOHHHHHH.......cyborg Kilrathi!!! Whats next?;)

wouldn't that help him live longer though?

Originally posted by Zor Prime
Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

OOOOHHHHHH.......cyborg Kilrathi!!! Whats next?;)

wouldn't that help him live longer though?

its a lifestyle change that affects the lifespans. how would having an artificial arm and eye extend his lifespan? the only change was that he stopped getting shot/cut up/ beat up whatever.

I think the medical care he had access to would more than make up for that. He would have had the best doctors, drugs and technology had.

Best, Raptor

Yes...I think I know what you mean. <g>
Anyway, I don't know if you lose an eye and a leg, that means you were quite heavily wounded and it is not said that this can be easily repaired even in the future. Look at Shotglass: He looks normal buit has been so wounded he cannot fly anymore. Or that guy in the Academy manual who lost an eye. I think all these operation needed to install the artificial thingies were also quite stressful. And it still looks crummy (although I never saw the artificial leg) so the technology can't be so much advanced. Or the emperor keeps that glowing red eye because it looks so cool. ;)
What I want to say, to make it short, I donb't think that artificial limbs make you live longer, they make you live as long as any other at best.

Losing a leg and an eye means you were wounded in the leg and the eye, nothing more. :) I don't see any reason why the surgery would be particularly stressful, given other procedures seen in WC...

Anyway, WC can re-grow a leg -- it takes a while, though. And just being able to simulate an eye -- no matter how it looks, is an incredible achivement.

Yeah, but would that leg be as good as or better than your original leg? I doubt it. The artificial eye would probably introduce problems with stereo vision, and the artificial leg wouldn't be as responsive as the original one...

We HAVE an artificial eye NOW. It's really big, ugly, and expensive, but apparently it works. It's in the guiness book of world's records for something. I think "First artificial eye".

Anyway, so the eye thing wouldn't be too terrible, and prostetic legs while not being as good as a real leg, it almost. People can run on em and stuff.

Technically, the artificial eye was around long, long before any here were ever born. Its called a "camera". Today, dime sized CCD cameras are common place. In a few years, the size of those will be even smaller, and no doubt the medical community is looking at using that type of imager for eye replacements. The trick would be to convert the video signal into signals that the eye's optic nerve can translate.

RFB

The first Artificial eye.

Technically the artificial eye has been around alot longer. It's called a glass eye, and it's as aftificial as glass.

people have been using them since who knows how long. They don't let you see, but they cosmetically look like a eye.

um...no, this thing actually allows you to see. How it works I couldn't tell ya. All I know is that I saw a picture of a guy wearing the "artifical eye", and a very breif caption saying it allowed the man who lost and eye (or was blind, either or) to see.

I could try to find some info on it, but I don't know...

It doesn't work very well... it's got something like a 4x2 pixel resolution. :) But it's getting there...

How do they detect that?

Blind man: "Oh, everything looks so blocky, I can only see eight squares..."

Just joking, I actually get shivers at the thought of losing my eye/s, especially since I don't have any problems with them at the moment...

Although the proximity to PC monitors could change that.

Back