Kilrathi Evolution.

Penguin

Spaceman
From the games we can see that the Kilrathi are quite furry. We also know that their world is hot, dry & the opposite of humid. So I was wondering how they evolved all that fur. I mean wouldn't they have died from heat stroke or something? What do you think?

Not necessarily... I mean, jungle and desert cats in similar heated environments today thrive with fur...
smile.gif

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
(loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC
http://www.wcnews.com

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This brings me to another point about Kilrah.
Did the planet have water in it? because if its hot isnt it supposed to steam up?

And about the question I think they shaved themselves every once in a while.
smile.gif

------------------
I was Black Hawk

nature would have found a way
smile.gif

------------------
"Just close your eyes and pretend it's Wing Commander"

I wonder where the water would stay on a planet as hot and tectonically unstable as Kilrah...

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles."

Kilrah isn't *boiling* hot, it just has a warmer climate than the norm on Earth... I mean, we have volcanos and such and our water doesn't disappear
wink.gif

(Further note... apparently the lava-laden grey-rock version of Kilrah is a fairly recent development -- although it's always been earthquake prone and such).

------------------
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick

The Wing Commander CIC

Here's something that bodered me about the Kilrathi: What do you think they would do to cats? Or dogs?

------------------
Evilution!

True but considering that Kilrah never went through an Ice Age there would never have been any need to evolve fur in the first place.
Besides how do we know the Kilrathi need water? On the losing thread in WC3 Thrakhath mentions that Earth is too watery for his tastes - giving the impression that some Kilrathi dislike water or humidity.
They would probably treat Earth cats and dogs as a delicacy.

How do we know the Kilrathi never had an ice age?

------------------
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick

The Wing Commander CIC

We don't.

------------------
I've seen smarter things..

~Gunner~

Theres no reason to think that there wouldn't be water on Kilrah. less then on earth, obviously, but there would be some. They've lived on our ships and we've been on theirs, so they apparently live in about the same temperature ranges we do. i think you're overestimating the "hot" description

Fur isn't used just to keep heat in. There are many cases when fur is used to keep heat OUT.

Even if the planet were hot enough to make water steam away (which I don't think it is). the air pressure could be higher, this would raise the temperature at which water changes from a liquid to a gas.

TC

------------------
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Right, that is very true.

------------------
I've seen smarter things..

~Gunner~

I think that the evolution on Kilrah favoured predator (i.e. cat) development because there were no big forrests where other species could seek shelter and hide from them.
But on the other hand there had to be a vast number of prey for the cats to feed on. Where did they go? Or did the Kilrathi learn that quick to tame wild animals and breed them for feeding? Must have been a pretty fast evolution.

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

According to the Confederation Handbook, the Kilrathi evolved about 4 times slower than we did...

As for a lack of forrests and such, Kilrah-of-the-past has been described as being an Earth-like green and blue...

------------------
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick

The Wing Commander CIC

But isnt the planet in WCIII red and orange?
And in the game the impression is that they have etrnal sunlight and it was never night there.

------------------
I was Black Hawk

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited January 06, 2000).]

Maybe they used some nukes during the wars that happened on the planet?

But that would make the planet radioactive...
On some parts, at least...

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles."

I'm guessing they had a much smaller population than earth did too. Predatory animals need a lot of territory, and theres usually relatively few of them around. Once they really got into war, the birthrate probably went way up, but the overall population stayed about the same. once they all started working together as a race (for the most part) that death due to war rate would be way down, which would explain why they have a definite need to expand to other systems. So they're not all bad, they just need more space.

Back