Just You Opinion

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
Until I ll beat your Game in NIghtmare (its my tradition always to beat in "Nightmare" Wc3,Wc3,WcP,So)!
Heh, well, if you manage to complete mission 3 on Nightmare, saving 100% of the civilian ships, tell us ;).

Originally posted by Ijuin
However, a couple of new BW-only fighters (maybe something like from HTL, or maybe something original) might be cool.

See, Q, I told ya this was a good idea :p
I was messing around with the patrol fighter just today... trying to improve on my texturing skills, unsuccessfully so far :(.

--Eder

I still haven't been able to come up with a fitting bomber design, though.

--Eder

Before I got into music, my creativity was in drawing ship designs that could be ships in the wing commander universe. If you wanted... I could find (or redraw) a few, scan them, and then send them to you to see what you think. Hey... they could work.

Originally posted by Eder
I still haven't been able to come up with a fitting bomber design, though.
Are you joking ? What about this one ?
shot23.png

And this one ?
shot31.png

Your texturing skills need not to be proven, pal ! :)

Ah, it helps to clarify that slightly :)

Either way, they don't really count as original designs :)

Ok, you're right, I may not be always clear about what I write. Eder complained about his texturing skills...
... trying to improve on my texturing skills, unsuccessfully so far :(
I simply protested showing off great texturing he's already made. I didn't mean he made original models I've seen. Am I clear, now ? :p

Originally posted by Quarto
Patience, you'll work it out eventually. And the capship, too.
Ack! Don't even remind me of the capship. The closest I've ever got to coming up with a good capship design was modelling the Tarawa and Hakaga based on 2D drawings. Everything else I experimented with ended up looking really stupid.

Originally posted by Needaham45
Before I got into music, my creativity was in drawing ship designs that could be ships in the wing commander universe. If you wanted... I could find (or redraw) a few, scan them, and then send them to you to see what you think. Hey... they could work.
Hmmmm. That could work indeed...! And even if it doesn't, I can always use new ideas, so having a look at your sketches wouldn't hurt.

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
Your texturing skills need not to be proven, pal ! :)
Thanks! :) Strange as it may seem to some people, though, I'm not all that happy with the texturing style I'm using for Standoff. It's just that I can't afford to spend any more time trying to improve it - after so many ships, it's almost an automated process for me, so by sticking with this texturing style, I can put new ships together much faster.
I'd like to be able to texture in a style that's more consistent with those of WC3/4/P, though. This is where the bomber and the capship me and Q were talking about come in: we were talking about some original ship designs I've *tried to* come up with (yes, tried to... because like I said, only the patrol fighter looks any good and WC-ish enough), and I use those designs to test various new texturing methods - and perhaps they might come in handy for a future mod ;)

--Eder

Originally posted by Eder
Thanks! :) Strange as it may seem to some people, though, I'm not all that happy with the texturing style I'm using for Standoff. [ ... ] I'd like to be able to texture in a style that's more consistent with those of WC3/4/P, though.
Well I believe your textures are perfect for giving those models the original feel of the old sprite-ships, without looking too cartoonish. Because that the point, isn't it ? Nostalgia ? If it wasn't for that WC1/WC2/Priv nostalgia you'd have made a mod set with newer ship, or WCM ship or whatever.

At least I like them for that. WC2 is still my all-time favourite. Can't wait to see Standoff when it's finished !

I'm still kinda new to this whole MOD business. I just happened to get lucky enough to join just before Unknown Enemy was released, and I must say this is looking great! I am also waiting for Standoff (and I think the textures look great too) as well as Battle Group Serpent, as I also play FreeSpace 2 and would find it interesting to see how they will meld the two. Everyone is putting a lot of work into these things, it's a shame they're not recognized by Origin.

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
Well I believe your textures are perfect for giving those models the original feel of the old sprite-ships, without looking too cartoonish. Because that the point, isn't it?
Yeah, pretty much. You're probably right about this - I've actually already come up with better-looking texturing styles, but they wouldn't fit Standoff too well due to all the ship designs being too... well, cartoonish.

--Eder

I am gonna take a long step back about to what kind of new race I like to see in UE2 when I first posted in here awhile ago I suggested the human race that sympathized with the cats and suggested that they now join with the bugs since the cats were no longer a force I withdrawl that and actually think since You guys called the game Unknown Enemy that you should introduce a new race cause lets face it the bug thing has been done before in a Space Combat game called Mantis from the late 80's early 90's . Since origin has backed out at the moment you guys should have creative freedom. I urge you give us a centrillized main baddy to focus our energy like in WC 1 through 4. I also would like to recommend that You guys post your creation on fileplanet to get wide spread exposure. To be honest I only found WCNews cause I was looking for Info on wing commander so to revive the industry putting it on a heavily visited site like fileplanet might help. I also think maybe that if the few thousand of us left started writing as many gaming mags as we could about this game and the fact that we want this genre back we might get origin to notice again and some others who gave up.
It might actually also get you guys at UE a job with a gaming company. I know the UE guys are from all over but it might hook the UE talented group of people up. Many hired guys working for id and epic started like this in the modding community I believe.
Keep up the good work

Also to eder I am patiently waiting for an awesome mod from you as well good luck with it and I think the textures you used are really cool. (I personally like wc2's longbow paint job better than wc3's)

Uh, there aren't any Longbows in WC2...

Eder, are you working on Standoff alone now that Thomas has gone? Because I'm hoping Standoff to be 'the next big thing' after UE (hope that isn't being too optimistic), but I know how bad projects can slow down when other commitments come along.

you sure. I'm probably wrong about that one cause I haven't played it in so long but isn't there a ship that sort of looks like it maybe I'm thinking of the morning star or broadsword And I know the broadsword doesn't look anything like a longbow and I don't remember what the morningstar ship looks like. all I know was it was a heavy bomber that had limited jump capability, I know the ship I'm thinking of is a ship that blair and doomsday go to another system for some reason and your outnumbered and outgunned. If anyone knows what ship that was please tell me? I always thought it was the long bow.

Blair went to the Talbot system in a Broadsword (Doomsday didn't go, he continued on the assigned patrol). No ship in WC2 looked anywhere near similar to the Longbow. But, the Broadsword and the Longbow had the same combat roles and 'felt' rather similar, so that may be the reason you got them mixed up.

Back