Just gotta say..

You're right, Armada was a nice change of pace, because of the huge boost in combat velocities - I was just objecting to what you said, because you implied that the Armada AI varied from ship to ship. And unfortunately it didn't, so it was very predictable.

I was just objecting to what you said, because you implied that the Armada AI varied from ship to ship. And unfortunately it didn't, so it was very predictable.

Now I see your point even clearer. That's true, the AI did employ the same tactics with every fighter, so that does, in fact, mean that it's not really playing to the strengths of each type. So, in the end, even if the feel was totally different than previous WC games (which is what I was really responding to,) my statement was just wrong...

...ugh. I can't wait for the weekend. :mad:

NinjaLA - every time I see your avatar with a post, I just want to see more of your art. Give the people more! :D

The same goes for Armada - its AI is extremely, extremely limited compared to WCP.

Probably, but it was the only game where I got shot down without the computer having some unfair advantage.

The slower = win thing is weird cause I vividly remember going up against an Arrow in a Goran (or whatever the Kilrathi bomber was called) was suicide. They stayed out of gun range and DF'ed you a lot.

So not much praise for Prophecy I take it?....

Huh? Prophecy was awesome.

So not much praise for Prophecy I take it?....

WCP is great. To get an idea of it you should follow up on the recommendation I gave you weeks ago.

Download Secret Ops and give it a try. Getting all 7 episodes finally released for free was a great achievement of the CIC and every wingnut that has never played the game should make sure to give it a play through.

WCP is great. To get an idea of it you should follow up on the recommendation I gave you weeks ago.

Download Secret Ops and give it a try. Getting all 7 episodes finally released for free was a great achievement of the CIC and every wingnut that has never played the game should make sure to give it a play through.
I don't know if I would agree with that. I think that without first playing WCP, Secret Ops is gonna be a rather disappointing package. The story builds on WCP and is very dependent on it - even just listening to the voiceovers is hugely different when you have an image of the actors in your head.

I don't know if I would agree with that. I think that without first playing WCP, Secret Ops is gonna be a rather disappointing package. The story builds on WCP and is very dependent on it - even just listening to the voiceovers is hugely different when you have an image of the actors in your head.

He's been asking about how WCP plays, so if he tries SO and likes the flight engine he would then be more inclined to purchase WCP instead of just watching DaveO's youtube videos.

I agree with your sentiments to an extent, although I don't think it would be seen as disappointing. Granted the environment and story won't be as engrossing as it would be without having played WCP, but it's still fun to play even with these drawbacks.

I think, if the WC4 AI seems better than WCP's, it's because the two games are oriented towards different gameplay. In WC4, you hardly ever face more than four or five enemies at one time. It takes just a single missile to kill you. Obviously, then, the AI will feel extremely tough - it only needs to fire off one guided missile in order to get you. In WCP, the game is balanced completely differently. A bug can fire five missiles at you, all of them will hit you and... so what? You're still alive. Naturally, then, it feels like the AI is inferior. But ask yourself this - how often do you get hit by unguided DF missiles in WC3/4? Because the WCP AI is easily capable of this...

The Salthis in Standoff are a great example of this, they went from cannon fodder to a light fighter that still poses a threat.

The Salthis in Standoff are a great example of this, they went from cannon fodder to a light fighter that still poses a threat.

Along with Dralthi they are the most deadly DF shooting bastards in the skies. I can't even begin to count how many missions they've ruined for me when I thought victory was assured then.....BLAM! Damn it!

Along with Dralthi they are the most deadly DF shooting bastards in the skies. I can't even begin to count how many missions they've ruined for me when I thought victory was assured then.....BLAM! Damn it!

Yeah, a number of times I'd see the missile fired and think "No lock alarm, must be aimed at someone else" and then BLAM! The second time I played through Standoff I was a lot more careful around the bastards.

Back