Join The Marines

Re: Re: Join The Marines

Originally posted by the__phoenix

:confused: Is the USA Army (no other fighting force in the world has marines) so desperate in their search for fresh cannon fodder, that they have to post on a Wing Commander forum :confused:

the United States Marine Corps is not a part of the army it is technically a department of the Navy.

and in reply to the comment that Marines are too expendable
that would be the army you are talking about the United States Marine Corps is one of the most elite fighting forces in the world.

Hi,

(no other fighting force in the world has marines)

Hm - Royal Marines burnt the White House down in the US independence war. I certainly hope they weren't American troops.

Also if you can find a US marine who was at the Chosin Retreat in Korea, ask what the think of the Royal Marines.

Most countries have Marines.

Cheers

Originally posted by panther
Hi,

Hm - Royal Marines burnt the White House down in the US independence war. I certainly hope they weren't American troops

Cheers

There's six zillion things wrong with this.

First of all, it was Canadians who burnt down the White House during the War of 1812. Not Brits in the Independence War. The White House didn't magically exist before the country...

Secondly, am I the only one who's a bit disturbed how constantly Europeans brag about this? Ignoring that it wasn't even their military that was responsible, can you think of any other situation where it's really great and wonderful and civilized that an army decided to burn down a city after capturing it? And can you think of any other situation where the ultimately *losing* side can be so smug and idiotic about something?

First of all, it was Canadians who burnt down the White House during the War of 1812. Not Brits in the Independence War. The White House didn't magically exist before the country...

Hi,

I got this from a book written by an American history writer. If it's wrong, then my bad.

My point was more that some Americans (Not most) think they invented everything in the world and that no other nations opinion or history matters. A lot of nations are self-centered, but it doesn't make it right.

As for Armies burning cities, try and find a war when something like that hasn't happened

Cheers

Yup, the White House catching fire once certainly is proof that America didn't invent everything... somehow.

Yes, it is wrong <G>

No one is saying that armies don't burn cities -- the point is that it is never anything to brag about. (Unless, of course, you're Thrakhath explaning himself to the Emperor after SO2...).

Yup, the White House catching fire once certainly is proof that America didn't invent everything... somehow

Sorry - I meant about the earlier post with regards to only the US having Marines.

As to the burning of the white house, I didn't mean to sound like I was bragging (after all, I am the one who shares a callsign with a Liberal pilot, remember) , I meant that if it had been US troops, it was a bit of a mistake on their part. - I must remeber to put smileys in - or sarcasm after

Cheers

the_phoenix: First off that post you're quoting, shouldn't be taken seriously. Secondly the United Kingdom definitely has the Royal Marines. Other countries, like Russia and China, definitely do have marine style troops, though they probably go by different names. Heck, now that I think about it, I'm fairly sure the Ancient Romans had marines.

Skybolt: Anyone who is sent into the line of fire is expendable. That includes pilots.

wcwraith: What has being an elite soldier got to do with being expendable or not?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Secondly, am I the only one who's a bit disturbed how constantly Europeans brag about this?

I wasn't aware of this particular example, but yes I do feel American bashing, for bashing's sake, is disturbing.

the United States Marine Corps is not a part of the army it is technically a department of the Navy.

Heh, tell THAT to the marines. :p

And can you think of any other situation where the ultimately *losing* side can be so smug and idiotic about something?

People will debate you on that at Spacebat - :dragged away by the Gender Unspecific in White Coats:

can you think of any other situation where the ultimately *losing* side can be so smug and idiotic about something?

The Russian's still think the space race was ultimately theirs :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Col.Dom

The Russian's still think the space race was ultimately theirs :rolleyes:

If the recent Olympics are any indication, the Russians think that everything they completely suck at are ultimately theirs.

First of all, it was Canadians who burnt down the White House during the War of 1812.

Hi, now I'm not bragging, but history was one of my strong points at college - though again it was mostly just about social and economic history of Britain, but we did pick up some facts about other countries.

www.whitehouse.gov/history/facts.html

The White House has a unique and fascinating history. It survived a fire at the hands of the British in 1814 (during the war of 1812) and another fire in the West Wing in 1929, while Herbert Hoover was President.

Whether they were Canadian troops under British command, I don't know - and no it still is not an action to be proud of. British troops have done far worse (Badajoz anyone?) and so have other countries troops but most fortunately seem to have grown out of that nowadays though there are still notable exceptions :)

Cheers

I'll just idly watch while this turns into some russia/canada bashing thread...

Crazy foreigners... you and your foreign ways ;)

Originally posted by Penguin
the_phoenix: Heck, now that I think about it, I'm fairly sure the Ancient Romans had marines.

the Romans used land units and treated boarding enamy ships like a land battle.
i know a retired U.S marine yes the marines are under the navy but he said that if your in the marines you obay the marines first.
he has on the occasion said that marines god counrty and family in order of Loyalty marines are always right god is almost as prefect then the rest.

the coast guard is under the navy in times of war:cool:

Originally posted by Battler Hawke
the coast guard is under the navy in times of war:cool:

Yeah, when it's not it's under the Department of Transportation!

Also, the US Air Force was originally under the US Army. Yep, the good ol' days of the Army Air Corps.

:cool:

Originally posted by Penguin
Heck, now that I think about it, I'm fairly sure the Ancient Romans had marines.

The ancient Romans were almost all "marines", or as its usually called, heavy infantry. That time period was just before the dawn of the cavalry as the dominant war force in Europe.

Long time no see.

Just check the post this topic starts with, and see it evolve in to the strangest discussions...

Keep it up,

Zim

But the Romans had some troops who were meant to fight on ships only. It's not like they grabbed the nearest legionnaire and said: "Hey, you get to fight on the ship today!"

Back