It's Not Easy Being Green (March 10, 2006)

Bandit LOAF said:
...maybe different fleets have different colors that are always the same.

That actually sounds very interesting.

It could also be that they decided against painting the entire hull, like USAF did in WW2 (OD to natural metal).

Yeah, although historically it's the other way around -- since (most of) the ships in WC3 are older than most of the ships in WC2.

Bandit LOAF said:
Yeah, although historically it's the other way around -- since (most of) the ships in WC3 are older than most of the ships in WC2.
Hmm, I don't think that would actually matter in this case - after all, it seems as though all the armour plating had recently been changed in all the WC3 ships, which would mean a change of paintjob, too.

Quarto said:
Hmm, I don't think that would actually matter in this case - after all, it seems as though all the armour plating had recently been changed in all the WC3 ships, which would mean a change of paintjob, too.

Which would also be a similar circumstance: they wanted to eliminate the painting process from manufacturing and maintenence. So an order might have come along not to waste time painting the whole ship, just the ID markings.

t.c.cgi said:
Which would also be a similar circumstance: they wanted to eliminate the painting process from manufacturing and maintenence. So an order might have come along not to waste time painting the whole ship, just the ID markings.
Yeah... but the WC3 ships aren't actually unpainted - they just use a different colour scheme.

The BWS Tango is a Durango-class heavy destroyer. What class is the BWS Intrepid? It's a carrier and still a Durango, or it was a Durango? The Ships database calls it Durango.

Quarto said:
Yeah... but the WC3 ships aren't actually unpainted - they just use a different colour scheme.
I think he was saying that they didn't completely paint it. They just had it partially painted.

Delance said:
The BWS Tango is a Durango-class heavy destroyer. What class is the BWS Intrepid? It's a carrier and still a Durango, or it was a Durango? The Ships database calls it Durango.

They both are Durangos, both have had flight decks added....

I'm not sure what you're asking. Both ships are Durango-class Heavy Destroyers that have been converted to other roles. The Intrepid is a Light Carrier and the Tango is (apparently) a Fast Transport.

TopGun said:
I would like the see the Midway done in WC 2 Style
What would be the point of that, though? The idea of doing WC3/4/Priv capships in WC2-style is because it can be presumed they existed in that era... this obviously is not the case for the Midway :p.

Bandit LOAF said:
I'm not sure what you're asking. Both ships are Durango-class Heavy Destroyers that have been converted to other roles. The Intrepid is a Light Carrier and the Tango is (apparently) a Fast Transport.

I was just wondering if when you convert a Durango to a Light Carrier, isn't that it's new class? Apparently not.

No more than the Fralthi changes class between its cruiser and light carrier versions.

Quarto said:
What would be the point of that, though? The idea of doing WC3/4/Priv capships in WC2-style is because it can be presumed they existed in that era... this obviously is not the case for the Midway :p.

It would just be interesting to see, that's all

Back