Is this project dead?

Wow - thanks guys for all the support! I'm currently going through the models and adding in visible internal cockpits to them. this is not as complex as it sounds, and does add a lot to the finished visual quality. While I'm at it, I'm also placing all the hardpoints, guns, afterburners, thrusters, missiles, and radar (if applicable) on these things so the game can just read the locator info in and display everything correctly from the get-go. This will come in handy as tests for the asset viewer and compiler continue. Only minor changes to report besides that - I've created the torpedo launchers, made the missile and torpedo mount more solid and streamlined, and updated some of the missiles and equipment. I'm going to continue working on interior cockpits and locator placement for the foreseeable future (I have upwards of 20 ships to go through) and Joel's doing whatever Joel does. :D
That's the news!
So - Michelle D - I've seen your work and it is indeed awesome. I have a bit more input on the character concept stuff. All that Brad mentioned is correct with one addition: I'd like to see more "heroic" proportions in the characters than strictly realistic. Reference the Academy Series heavily for the general base look, and just add realistic textures and materials.
Beyond that, I'd definitely love some help in the modeling department. In that you've pretty much got your choice! We have a few more Kilrathi ships to create: including a Frathi, possibly a Gratha (which I know wasn't in service when Pioneer takes place, but would still make an wonderful secret weapon being tested on the backwater frontier) a few Bandit-type raiders and a bunch of non-military transports and tankers.
Also, there's lots of base interiors (hoo-boy), and character modeling galore. I'm perfectly content to plow through all of it, but it's first come first serve. If you see anything there that interests you, let me know! My e-mail is day@hedfiles.net.

Thanks again, guys!

Attachments

• phalanx1.jpg
    phalanx1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 388
  • phalanx5.jpg
    phalanx5.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 352
  • phalanx4.jpg
    phalanx4.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 326
Actually, the only ship for the Cats that we really need is the Dorkir or equivalent transport. We've got the Blaggart and Viking (our two annoying little raiders) and then the Dralthi, Jalthi, and Ralari making up our primary 'big fleet' presence here. The Jalthi and Dralthi both along with the Ralari though are definately more of a rareity here though. I'd say, if you wanted to tackle it, the Dorkir or Lumbari would be solid choices. Definately could use some cat shipping, we also need the Kilrathi Starpost modeled yet. So, there are two options! I'd also like to add a caveat to Howards character thoughts, please no Anime-ish characters. Realistic-ish, Academy cartoon looks are definately the preferred look.

Brad

I modelled a Dorkir for Wing Commander 1 Remake. I can send you my original OBJ file if it interests you.

Just note that the textures are bad. I'm not that good when it comes to 2D art. :p

dorktex1.png

Also note that the one shown in the pic is not the final model.

I modelled a Dorkir for Wing Commander 1 Remake. I can send you my original OBJ file if it interests you.

Just note that the textures are bad. I'm not that good when it comes to 2D art. :p

dorktex1.png

Also note that the one shown in the pic is not the final model.

Dude... this is the sexiest thing i've seen since I flew past the Concordia in Standoff. NICE WORK!!

Dude... this is the sexiest thing i've seen since I flew past the Concordia in Standoff. NICE WORK!!

Hehehe... At least my work isn't that bad. :p

Here's the first thread the Dorkir was showcased in. Download WC1 Remake and you'll see more of it in the ship viewer.

Right now, I'm working on a low-poly Drayman from Super Wing Commander to use in a WC1 Remake ship pack. If it isn't triangulated, the model is 1206 polygons.

And a few renders:

Drender1.png

Drender2.png

Drender3.png

Drender4.png

Honestly if you guys had started this as a Vega Strike mod you'd have been much further along by now, and much closer to project completion.

if that was the case, I would prefer it to be based on the StarShatter engine instead of the Vega Strike engine.

Starshatter engine kicks ass and its already made for landing in capital ships hangar bays! Sweet.

Also, after Infinity The Quest for Earth is released, I bet lots of mods will be made for it. The graphics are amazing and the transition to planets is seamless, and it also has hangars and such.

And the gameplay is awesome (you can download the combat prototype, which is online combat just to test some simple things of the engine and specially network engine, and see for yourself).

A Privateer or even just a normal Wing Commander remake would be great on Infinity engine.

Actually, since such projects as Pioneer take such long time, why not do it ALREADY directly to the Infinity Engine (I-Novae)??

Since most of the models for Infinity are being created by the community itself, there are tons of info available on the forums, including how many polys per size of the shit, etc. (a LOT!)

why do people have to drag up old threads and subjects? its just not necessary.

as if this forum had hundreds of new threads every week. If that was the case, I would agree that bumping an old thread (its not even so old... its from october 2007!) would be a pain in the ass.

but no... thats NOT the case. I doubt a bumped thread will make it more difficult for you to find the new interesting threads... since there is like ONE newer thread :rolleyes:

You're missing the point.

Reviving old threads, in and of itself, isn't the issue. The issue is that you're reviving a thread that has already been answered, and the discussion concluded, for all practical purposes.

The Pioneer people have said repeatedly that they are not going to switch away from their home-brewed game engine to another game engine. As they are the one making the game, they call the shots.

To be clear, anyone is welcome - even encouraged - to bring back old threads... but I'm pretty sure the Pioneer team has made it crystal clear that they aren't using an outside engine for their project.

And anyway, I think that the game will feel more authentic being built from the ground up as it is. I, for one, am eagerly awaiting the demo.

Okay, it has been over a year since the last post so I will ask again: Is Pioneer still going? If so, where are its materials or even a website? What is going on now?

As someone who was using vegastrike engine for ages, the vegastrike engine sucks. The space flight physics model is assuming realistic physics, weight/mass etc which is of course stupid in a wing commander game since WC never had real physics. It also has ZERO tools to go with it. so aside from importing models there's no graphical/easy way to do anything useful like write missions and design star systems. Until there is which (may) happen in the ogre3d port from what I heard. The engine sucks to use. Future features are speculation and don't exist right now so all we have to go on is Vegastrike sucks until they can prove otherwise.

Okay, it has been over a year since the last post so I will ask again: Is Pioneer still going? If so, where are its materials or even a website? What is going on now?

I guess, it's safe to consider this project "hybernated" for now. Not dead, because one day Howard and friends might revive it, but not alive, because no serious progress has been made in last 2 years, afaik.

Back